How openSUSE version numbers relate to SUSE Enterprise? - Suse

This is a discussion on How openSUSE version numbers relate to SUSE Enterprise? - Suse ; I would like to know if there is any relation on version number between openSUSE and SUSE Enterprise. For example is SUSE Enterprise 10 based on openSUSE 10? Will SUSE Enterprise 11 (expected to be release next year) be based ...

  1. How openSUSE version numbers relate to SUSE Enterprise?

    I would like to know if there is any relation on version number
    between openSUSE and SUSE Enterprise. For example is SUSE Enterprise
    10 based on openSUSE 10? Will SUSE Enterprise 11 (expected to be
    release next year) be based on openSUSE 11?

  2. Re: How openSUSE version numbers relate to SUSE Enterprise?

    Artificer wrote:

    > I would like to know if there is any relation on version number
    > between openSUSE and SUSE Enterprise. For example is SUSE Enterprise
    > 10 based on openSUSE 10? Will SUSE Enterprise 11 (expected to be
    > release next year) be based on openSUSE 11?

    The numbering is pure marketing. You have roughly the following
    numbering:
    SLE 9, SLE 10, SLE 11, ...

    The openSUSE version before 9, 10, 11 ... is x.0 The ones after the x.0
    are x.1, x.2 and sometimes even x.3

    However as it is pure marketing, this is not set in stone and can change
    any time.

    Now on what is based on what. Both are based on Factory at a certain
    moment in time. So you COULD say that SLE is based on x.0 and x.1 is
    based on SLE and x.2 is based on x.1, but you would be wrong.

    All are forks of factory at a certain moment in time.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

  3. Re: How openSUSE version numbers relate to SUSE Enterprise?

    On Sep 27, 1:47*pm, houghi wrote:
    > Artificer wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to know if there is any relation on version number
    > > between openSUSE and SUSE Enterprise. For example is SUSE Enterprise
    > > 10 based on openSUSE 10? Will SUSE Enterprise 11 (expected to be
    > > release next year) be based on openSUSE 11?

    > The numbering is pure marketing. You have roughly the following
    > numbering:
    > SLE 9, SLE 10, SLE 11, ...
    >
    > The openSUSE version before 9, 10, 11 ... is x.0 The ones after the x.0
    > are x.1, x.2 and sometimes even x.3
    >
    > However as it is pure marketing, this is not set in stone and can change
    > any time.
    >
    > Now on what is based on what. Both are based on Factory at a certain
    > moment in time. So you COULD say that SLE is based on x.0 and x.1 is
    > based on SLE and x.2 is based on x.1, but you would be wrong.
    >
    > All are forks of factory at a certain moment in time.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    > free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    > tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    > because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

    What I really mean with the question is: when a new features in
    opensuse should appear on SLE? for example right now we have openSUSE
    11 with some visual differences compared to openSUSE version 10. Also
    we have SLE 10. Will SLE 11 include the new features in openSUSE 11?

  4. Re: How openSUSE version numbers relate to SUSE Enterprise?

    Artificer wrote:

    > What I really mean with the question is: when a new features in
    > opensuse should appear on SLE? for example right now we have openSUSE
    > 11 with some visual differences compared to openSUSE version 10. Also
    > we have SLE 10. Will SLE 11 include the new features in openSUSE 11?

    Yes and no. openSUSE contains packages that are not included in SLES.
    But it is often true that package versions that are server centric
    that are in openSUSE 11 (e.g. 11.1) will be found in SLES 11 as well.
    Likewise, more desktop centric packages might find their way into
    SLED 11.

    Personally, I advocate the idea that SLES should include SLED, the
    defaults will be server centric, but allow the end administrator
    the ability to choose.

  5. Re: How openSUSE version numbers relate to SUSE Enterprise?

    Artificer wrote:
    > What I really mean with the question is: when a new features in
    > opensuse should appear on SLE? for example right now we have openSUSE
    > 11 with some visual differences compared to openSUSE version 10. Also
    > we have SLE 10. Will SLE 11 include the new features in openSUSE 11?

    There is no "openSUSE 11". There is "openSUSE 11.0" The number 11 is not
    a counting tool, it is a marketing tool.

    openSUSE and SLE are based on Factory. So if it is in factory it will
    end up in both. (Obviously unless there is a good reason not to put it
    in)

    So it is not that something that is in openSUSE 11.0 will end up in SLE
    11 or that anything in SLE 11 will end up in openSUSE 11.1. It is that
    they are both forks of Factory.

    Just as you have openSUSE 11.0 KDE CD, openSUSE 11.0 GNOME CD, the 32bit
    DVD, 64 bit, boxed version, promo version, ...
    From a technical point of view, they are all different versions. All
    they do is click on different things to include or not on the build
    server.

    So they do not take a openSUSE 11.0 CD and say "let's make SLE 11 based
    on this". What do do is take Factory and say "Let's make the new distro
    based on this"

    This process has been done inhouse, but now you can do it at home:
    http://news.opensuse.org/2008/09/22/obs-did-it/

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

+ Reply to Thread