GNOME & openSUSE - Suse

This is a discussion on GNOME & openSUSE - Suse ; I have never used openSUSE before but it looks to me like GNOME is configured different in openSUSE when compared to other distros. For example the computer menu in openSUSE is totally different. It is a little windows-vista like (in ...

  1. GNOME & openSUSE

    I have never used openSUSE before but it looks to me like GNOME is
    configured different in openSUSE when compared to other distros. For
    example the computer menu in openSUSE is totally different. It is a
    little windows-vista like (in the good sense). Is that because is
    using a newer version of gnome or it is really configured on a
    different way?
    Another question: What is the keyboard shortcut to use the 3d desktop
    (linux cube) on openSUSE?

    So far openSUSE is the best linux I have tried.If I start
    professionally installing Linux to my customers openSUSE and SUSE
    Enterprise are leading my choice!

  2. Re: GNOME & openSUSE

    Artificer wrote:
    > I have never used openSUSE before but it looks to me like GNOME is
    > configured different in openSUSE when compared to other distros. For
    > example the computer menu in openSUSE is totally different. It is a
    > little windows-vista like (in the good sense). Is that because is
    > using a newer version of gnome or it is really configured on a
    > different way?

    Configured differently as far as I know. openSUSE spends a lot of time
    to make KDE and GNOME have a similar look.

    Also it wants to show of the new menu they have been working on very
    hard.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

  3. Re: GNOME & openSUSE

    Artificer wrote:

    > I have never used openSUSE before but it looks to me like GNOME is
    > configured different in openSUSE when compared to other distros. For
    > example the computer menu in openSUSE is totally different. It is a
    > little windows-vista like (in the good sense). Is that because is
    > using a newer version of gnome or it is really configured on a
    > different way?
    > Another question: What is the keyboard shortcut to use the 3d desktop
    > (linux cube) on openSUSE?
    >
    > So far openSUSE is the best linux I have tried.If I start
    > professionally installing Linux to my customers openSUSE and SUSE
    > Enterprise are leading my choice!

    You can change "OpenSuse Menu" to "KDE Menu" by right clicking on menu
    and selecting "switch to KDE menu" and go back and forth the same way

    This Vista like menu can't remember what its called now was developed by
    either Fedora/Red Hat? or OpenSuse? its a open source package because its
    available on Mint, PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, and some some other KDE distro's,
    think it must a KDE application since KDE is only where you see it.

    BTW, I don't like or use it

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  4. Re: GNOME & openSUSE

    Patrick Phillips wrote:
    > You can change "OpenSuse Menu" to "KDE Menu" by right clicking on menu
    > and selecting "switch to KDE menu" and go back and forth the same way

    Two things.
    1) He runs GNOME
    2) He apears to like it.

    > This Vista like menu can't remember what its called now was developed by
    > either Fedora/Red Hat? or OpenSuse?

    Novell. That is the reason why something similar is available in both
    KDE and GNOME/

    > its a open source package because its
    > available on Mint, PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, and some some other KDE distro's,
    > think it must a KDE application since KDE is only where you see it.

    Its a open source package, because it's available on openSUSE. e.g. YaST
    and zypper are not seen anywhere else, but are stil open source. You do
    see someting similar (not identical) in GNOME.

    > BTW, I don't like or use it

    That is because both KDE and GNOME are evil. Using the one will kill a
    puppy; using the ther a kitten.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  5. Re: GNOME & openSUSE

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:22:16 -0700, Artificer typed this message:

    > I have never used openSUSE before but it looks to me like GNOME is
    > configured different in openSUSE when compared to other distros. For
    > example the computer menu in openSUSE is totally different. It is a
    > little windows-vista like (in the good sense). Is that because is using
    > a newer version of gnome or it is really configured on a different way?
    > Another question: What is the keyboard shortcut to use the 3d desktop
    > (linux cube) on openSUSE?
    >
    > So far openSUSE is the best linux I have tried.If I start professionally
    > installing Linux to my customers openSUSE and SUSE Enterprise are
    > leading my choice!

    Don't know much about other distros other than FC, and OpenSuSe 11.0 is
    more user(gui) friendly than OpenSuse 10.3 and FC. Seems like they
    worked hard to put add working gui controls for most of the desktop
    functions.

    If you're satisfied that should be all that matters.

    Enabling the Desktop 3D Cube (Compiz) depends on
    #)1 your graphics card
    #)2 installed 3D drivers for the graphics card
    #)3 enabling Compiz in the "Desktop effects" menu ("Look and Feel" in
    OpenSuse 11).

    Read the OpenSuse Release Notes.

  6. Re: GNOME & openSUSE

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:22:16 -0700, Artificer wrote:

    > I have never used openSUSE before but it looks to me like GNOME is
    > configured different in openSUSE when compared to other distros. For
    > example the computer menu in openSUSE is totally different. It is a
    > little windows-vista like (in the good sense). Is that because is using
    > a newer version of gnome or it is really configured on a different way?
    > Another question: What is the keyboard shortcut to use the 3d desktop
    > (linux cube) on openSUSE?
    >
    > So far openSUSE is the best linux I have tried.If I start professionally
    > installing Linux to my customers openSUSE and SUSE Enterprise are
    > leading my choice!

    You have 3 menus available. The one you are using is the so-called slab
    menu. There is also the 'Traditional Main Menu' which is the single Gnome
    foot; and the 'Menu Bar' which is the 'Applications Places System' block.

    I find the slab menu is OK if what you want is already on it. If not it
    takes a while to bring up the 'more applications' menu especially the
    first time.

    One thing I have discovered - the slab menu doesn't work properly on
    multiple independent screens. If I click the menu button on the right
    screen, it posts on the left screen. Of course, if you then run something
    off that menu it loads on the left screen and cannot be dragged to the
    right screen. So, if you want stuff to load on the right screen, you need
    to add a 'Menu Bar' type menu.

    regards,
    Frank Ranner

+ Reply to Thread