Whoops video smoke - Suse

This is a discussion on Whoops video smoke - Suse ; I had a nvivia clone go up in smoke so I replaced it with a ati radeon HD3850. Now it boots to a level five black screen. I am completely lost. who can I get the gui working? Thanks for ...

  1. Whoops video smoke

    I had a nvivia clone go up in smoke so I replaced it with a ati radeon
    HD3850. Now it boots to a level five black screen.

    I am completely lost. who can I get the gui working?

    Thanks for any help you can give me

    --
    Lloyd

  2. Re: Whoops video smoke

    In l Branum:

    [Snip...]

    > Now it boots to a level five black screen

    Shot in the dark...

    I presume you're on a (reasonably recent) SuSE release:

    1. Login as root console with CTL/ALT/F1 (or CTL/ALT/F2 etc.) key sequence.
    2. Do an "init 3" command to shutdown the X login manager temporarily.
    3. Do a "sax2" (or whatever SuSE X setup tool) to reconfigure X.
    4. If you get some GUI running (even VESA only), your basic video's OK.
    5. Do an "init 5" command to resume X login manager.

    HTH; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  3. Re: Whoops video smoke

    l Branum wrote:

    > I had a nvivia clone go up in smoke so I replaced it with a ati radeon
    > HD3850. Now it boots to a level five black screen.
    >
    > I am completely lost. who can I get the gui working?

    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

  4. Re: Whoops video smoke

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:18:14 +0200, houghi wrote:
    ... snip ..

    thanks for your assistance. I have an amd x2 processor and an abit AX78
    motherboard.

    When I first had the video card smoke the computer would not boot. I
    tried to use the repair (opensuse 11.0) with no joy. Then I used the re-
    install. result no gui.

    When I tried sax2 and saxx2 -l it said no X11 and was configuring. The
    rest was to fast to see an ended with a frozen system.

    Any ideas>

    --
    Lloyd

+ Reply to Thread