Leafnode - Suse

This is a discussion on Leafnode - Suse ; Has anyone any experience with the mail server Leafnode? I am considering using it together with Knode to make an off-line mail reader. My question is whether Leafnode is configurable to control what groups it actually downloads messages from. In ...

  1. Leafnode

    Has anyone any experience with the mail server Leafnode?

    I am considering using it together with Knode to make an off-line
    mail reader. My question is whether Leafnode is configurable to
    control what groups it actually downloads messages from.

    In other words, does it down load messages only from groups that Knode
    tries to read, or does it download messages from all groups in the
    group list that knode has downloaded during initial startup?

    In looking at various sites I see information about configuring and a
    description that it is a small mail server, but no details of exactly
    what it downloads.

    I have the feeling that if it is a mail-server it may well download
    everything, which is more then I want to do with a laptop.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  2. Re: Leafnode

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    > Has anyone any experience with the mail server Leafnode?

    No, because it is not a mail server. It is a Usenet server.

    > I am considering using it together with Knode to make an off-line
    > mail reader. My question is whether Leafnode is configurable to
    > control what groups it actually downloads messages from.

    Yes.

    > In other words, does it down load messages only from groups that Knode
    > tries to read,

    Yes.

    > or does it download messages from all groups in the
    > group list that knode has downloaded during initial startup?

    No. It makes its own list.

    > In looking at various sites I see information about configuring and a
    > description that it is a small mail server, but no details of exactly
    > what it downloads.

    You look at the wrong sites. It is a news server

    > I have the feeling that if it is a mail-server it may well download
    > everything, which is more then I want to do with a laptop.

    Well, it isn';t a news server.

    The best thing to do would be to just try it out and see what happens.

    In short what happens is the following. It will download only the groups
    that are in /var/spool/news/interesting.groups
    Your newsreader will connect to it (with e.g. localhost as newsserver
    instead of news.example.com)

    The first time you subscribe to a group, you will see that it will
    download the next time.
    The next time you do the download, it will download all from that new
    group as well.

    If somebody decides to subscribe to all groups, it will download all
    groups. You can however decide to download only certain groups.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.

  3. Re: Leafnode

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:-

    Leafnode is a news server, not a mail server, so I'm going to read this
    as if you're typed news instead of mail.

    >Has anyone any experience with the mail server Leafnode?

    Yes.

    >I am considering using it together with Knode to make an off-line
    >mail reader. My question is whether Leafnode is configurable to
    >control what groups it actually downloads messages from.

    Yes.

    >In other words, does it down load messages only from groups that Knode
    >tries to read, or does it download messages from all groups in the
    >group list that knode has downloaded during initial startup?

    When Knode requests the articles from the groups you subscribe to,
    Leafnode will initially supply the headers for a placeholder article. If
    you request the body of that article, Leafnode will add that group to
    the list of active groups that you want to receive.

    >In looking at various sites I see information about configuring and a
    >description that it is a small mail server, but no details of exactly
    >what it downloads.

    Only the messages in the groups from which you've requested the article
    bodies. You can configure multiple news servers, and have it retrieve
    certain groups only from specific servers.

    One thing you need to remember is that Leafnode consists of four parts:

    The first part is the server which supplies articles to your news
    clients, and accepts articles you wish to post to Usenet. You'll want to
    configure xinetd to accept connections on port 119 and start up Leafnode
    when a connection is made.

    The second part is fetchnews, which is the part that does all the news
    fetching and posting. This doesn't run automatically, so you'll either
    want to call it from roots crontab every so often, or call it manually
    before and after each news reading session. In my case, I have it
    started every 30 minutes which I find okay for when I'm not in a very
    active conversation. I also sometimes start it manually when I want to
    get a posting sent, or others received, without waiting for the next
    scheduled sending.

    The third part is texpire, which is used to expire articles from the
    local news spool. This is best called using a daily root cronjob,
    although can be called manually instead.

    The fourth part is applyfilter, which can be used after a change is made
    to the /etc/leafnode/filters and will apply the changed filters to the
    specified newsgroup.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  4. Re: Leafnode

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:02:49 +0100, David Bolt
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:-
    >
    >Leafnode is a news server, not a mail server, so I'm going to read this
    >as if you're typed news instead of mail.
    >
    >>Has anyone any experience with the mail server Leafnode?

    >Yes.
    >
    >>I am considering using it together with Knode to make an off-line
    >>mail reader. My question is whether Leafnode is configurable to
    >>control what groups it actually downloads messages from.

    >Yes.
    >
    >>In other words, does it down load messages only from groups that Knode
    >>tries to read, or does it download messages from all groups in the
    >>group list that knode has downloaded during initial startup?

    >When Knode requests the articles from the groups you subscribe to,
    >Leafnode will initially supply the headers for a placeholder article. If
    >you request the body of that article, Leafnode will add that group to
    >the list of active groups that you want to receive.
    >
    >>In looking at various sites I see information about configuring and a
    >>description that it is a small mail server, but no details of exactly
    >>what it downloads.

    >Only the messages in the groups from which you've requested the article
    >bodies. You can configure multiple news servers, and have it retrieve
    >certain groups only from specific servers.
    >
    >One thing you need to remember is that Leafnode consists of four parts:
    >
    >The first part is the server which supplies articles to your news
    >clients, and accepts articles you wish to post to Usenet. You'll want to
    >configure xinetd to accept connections on port 119 and start up Leafnode
    >when a connection is made.
    >
    >The second part is fetchnews, which is the part that does all the news
    >fetching and posting. This doesn't run automatically, so you'll either
    >want to call it from roots crontab every so often, or call it manually
    >before and after each news reading session. In my case, I have it
    >started every 30 minutes which I find okay for when I'm not in a very
    >active conversation. I also sometimes start it manually when I want to
    >get a posting sent, or others received, without waiting for the next
    >scheduled sending.
    >
    >The third part is texpire, which is used to expire articles from the
    >local news spool. This is best called using a daily root cronjob,
    >although can be called manually instead.
    >
    >The fourth part is applyfilter, which can be used after a change is made
    >to the /etc/leafnode/filters and will apply the changed filters to the
    >specified newsgroup.
    >

    >Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Thanks for information. I actually did know what Leafnode is and don't
    know, for the life of me, why I said "mail server".

    The ability to work off-line is a necessity as I am away from home
    about halt the time and can't always be sure that I have a good
    connection to the Internet.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  5. Re: Leafnode

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    > The ability to work off-line is a necessity as I am away from home
    > about halt the time and can't always be sure that I have a good
    > connection to the Internet.

    As I said, just try it out. Much easier to understand once you see what
    it does when it s working. I have been using it for many years now and I
    always had a good connetion.

    If you want I can even show you some free news servers that you can use.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

  6. Re: Leafnode

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:15:15 +0200, houghi
    wrote:

    >Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >> The ability to work off-line is a necessity as I am away from home
    >> about halt the time and can't always be sure that I have a good
    >> connection to the Internet.

    >As I said, just try it out. Much easier to understand once you see what
    >it does when it s working. I have been using it for many years now and I
    >always had a good connetion.
    >
    >If you want I can even show you some free news servers that you can use.
    >
    >houghi

    What are you using for a news client?

    Re servers, I've been using aioe. It's free but seems to be pretty
    heavily loaded. At least it seem to take me quite a while and usually
    more then one try to get a dozen groups, so any more would be quite
    welcome.
    I access the alt, rec and sci groups.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  7. Re: Leafnode

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    > What are you using for a news client?

    slrn and on occasion pan or anything I want. Doesn;t realy matter. I
    just configure it to connect to news://news and look up e.g. AOLS and I
    have the messages pretty fast.

    In my /etc/hosts I have placed the following line:
    127.0.0.1 news
    192.168.0.22 pasta.houghi
    The first is so that I can easily connect to it. The second is needed,
    because otherwise liferea will complain that a FQN is needed.

    > Re servers, I've been using aioe. It's free but seems to be pretty
    > heavily loaded. At least it seem to take me quite a while and usually
    > more then one try to get a dozen groups, so any more would be quite
    > welcome.
    > I access the alt, rec and sci groups.

    Here first some servers I use and then some servers I don't use anymore.
    Some free ones needs subscribing, but I never had any problem doing so.
    Some are not automated, so it can take some time.

    I use:
    server = news.cnntp.org Pretty good for text
    server = news.dommel.be My provider
    server = news.motzarella.org Pretty good for text
    server = newszilla.xs4all.nl My second provider for binaries (free
    over IPv6)
    server = news.xs4all.nl My second provider for binaries (free
    over ipV6

    I do not use anymore. Most just because I have already enough.
    #server = forums.opensuse.org I read nothing there
    #server = news.albasani.net
    #server = news.sunsite.dk
    #server = free.teranews.com Out of sync in time
    #server = fb1.euro.net Only be.* and nl.*
    #server = news.readfreenews.net
    #server = nntp.aioe.org
    #server = news.x-privat.org
    #server = support-forums.novell.com I read nothing there
    #server = biggulp.readfreenews.net Slow, but for binaries
    #server = news.stben.net
    #server = news.news4us.nl

    You can add any or all. When I get too many errors from e.g.
    news.cnntp.org, I just comment it out and un-comment another one.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

+ Reply to Thread