Predefined order of connected USB-HDDs? - Suse

This is a discussion on Predefined order of connected USB-HDDs? - Suse ; Hi there, I'm new here, so please, don't throw rocks at me. And yeah, I'm using Windows for writing to Newsgroups. -_- My problem is: Linux sets the names of USB devices in the order, they are connected to the ...

  1. Predefined order of connected USB-HDDs?

    Hi there,
    I'm new here, so please, don't throw rocks at me. And yeah, I'm using
    Windows for writing to Newsgroups. -_-

    My problem is:

    Linux sets the names of USB devices in the order, they are connected to the
    PC.
    Is there a possibility of setting the names by the serial of the USB-HDDs,
    for example?
    I just want to have my devices the same names whenever I connect them.

    Thank you very much for your attention.

    SH

  2. Re: Predefined order of connected USB-HDDs?

    Not excatly my area of expertise but have a look at udev rules. This is
    for example where you can define network device names (eg eth0 eth1)

    Dont quote me but I think you can also create mount points by the volume
    name of the device. eg a CDROM might be at /media/myprogs if the volume
    or label name was myprogs.

    Apologies for nut being specific...

    Cheers Bob

    SH wrote:
    > Is there a possibility of setting the names by the serial of the USB-HDDs,
    > for example?

  3. Re: Predefined order of connected USB-HDDs?

    SH wrote:

    > Linux sets the names of USB devices in the order, they are connected to
    > the PC.
    > Is there a possibility of setting the names by the serial of the USB-HDDs,
    > for example?
    > I just want to have my devices the same names whenever I connect them.

    if you label the USB HD disk with a name then mount is
    always the same even other linux OS
    then mount the OS the usb HD disk to "/media/your_label"
    You can label it in yast (you have to format the disk)
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...t-label_HD.png

    Or if you run KDE, you can mount the usb disk where you like
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-mount_usb.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: Predefined order of connected USB-HDDs?

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, EOS wrote:-

    >if you label the USB HD disk with a name then mount is
    >always the same even other linux OS
    >then mount the OS the usb HD disk to "/media/your_label"
    >You can label it in yast (you have to format the disk)
    >http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...t-label_HD.png
    >
    >Or if you run KDE, you can mount the usb disk where you like
    >http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-mount_usb.png

    Since the OP mentioned they were using Windows at the moment, it would
    be quickest to plug them into the Windows system and use "My Computer"
    to give them a new volume name. This can be done by opening "My
    Computer", right-clicking on the relevant drive and then selecting
    "Rename".

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

+ Reply to Thread