install on external disk - Suse

This is a discussion on install on external disk - Suse ; Good day, I have a question. Is it necessary to install boot loader if I install openSuSe on external drive that connects via USB? I would like to have openSuSe as second operating system on my laptop but through external ...

  1. install on external disk

    Good day,

    I have a question. Is it necessary to install boot loader if I install
    openSuSe on external drive that connects via USB? I would like to have
    openSuSe as second operating system on my laptop but through external drive.

    TIA

    Bruno

  2. Re: install on external disk

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:00:15 +0200, Casperius wrote:
    > I have a question. Is it necessary to install boot loader if I install
    > openSuSe on external drive that connects via USB?

    Yes, you have to have a boot loader installed somewhere (even if that is
    only on a floppy diskette) in order to boot an operating system.

    However, if your laptop will directly boot from a USB device (disk or usb-
    stick), then the boot loader for openSUSE could be on the USB device its-
    self, and *not* on the primary hard drive of the laptop.

  3. Re: install on external disk

    Casperius wrote:

    > I have a question. Is it necessary to install boot loader if I install
    > openSuSe on external drive that connects via USB? I would like to have
    > openSuSe as second operating system on my laptop but through external
    > drive.

    http://en.opensuse.org/Installing_Su...rnal_USB_Drive

  4. Re: install on external disk

    Thank you

  5. Re: install on external disk

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:00:15 +0200, Casperius wrote:

    > Good day,
    >
    > I have a question. Is it necessary to install boot loader if I install
    > openSuSe on external drive that connects via USB? I would like to have
    > openSuSe as second operating system on my laptop but through external
    > drive.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Bruno

    Set your bios to boot from usb first?

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  6. Re: install on external disk

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > Set your bios to boot from usb first?

    It is set by default, only thing to setup is to boot from cd/dvd first

+ Reply to Thread