    remotely administer a linux box (both graphically and non graphically)
    from a windows desktop pc and from a linux desktop pc.

  2. Re: Remote Desktop

    On 2008-09-25, Artificer wrote:
    > I usually use the “remote desktop” feature on windows xp and vista to
    > remotely administer windows servers. I would like to know how I can
    > remotely administer a linux box (both graphically and non graphically)
    > from a windows desktop pc and from a linux desktop pc.

    You can use vnc or, if you want the best, FreeNX

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  3. Re: Remote Desktop

    Artificer wrote:

    > I usually use the “remote desktop” feature on windows xp and vista to
    > remotely administer windows servers. I would like to know how I can
    > remotely administer a linux box (both graphically and non graphically)
    > from a windows desktop pc and from a linux desktop pc.

    Install putty, a ssh client for windows for non graphical administration
    tasks. tightvnc is a nice remote desktop which is also available for
    windows. You run the server on the linux box and install clients for
    windows or linux. take care that these remote desktop apps are often
    creating problems with virus scanners etc. on windows. Another possibility
    is to install a virtual linux machine which runs on windows which allows to
    work with a real environment or even better: delete windows, install linux
    and run windows in a virtual machine.
    taco

  4. Re: Remote Desktop

    Artificer wrote:
    > I usually use the ?remote desktop? feature on windows xp and vista to
    > remotely administer windows servers. I would like to know how I can
    > remotely administer a linux box (both graphically and non graphically)
    > from a windows desktop pc and from a linux desktop pc.

    I do ssh to my machine from anywhere. Putty is the one I use from
    Windtendo. I then use yast to maintain my machine. Yast in CLI works the
    same.

    There are some things I do by editing files with vim.

    Installing programs I do by using yast, OCICLI, zypper or rpm, depending
    on my mood and situation.

    The VNC solution on openSUSE that you could use is not secure, so I only
    use that inside my own network.

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  5. OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    houghi wrote:

    > I do ssh to my machine from anywhere. Putty is the one I use from
    > Windtendo. I then use yast to maintain my machine. Yast in CLI works the
    > same.

    for ssh with X try
    "ssh -X root@ipadres /sbin/yast2"
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  6. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    EOS wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> I do ssh to my machine from anywhere. Putty is the one I use from
    >> Windtendo. I then use yast to maintain my machine. Yast in CLI works the
    >> same.

    > for ssh with X try
    > "ssh -X root@ipadres /sbin/yast2"

    And how would I do that in putty?

    houghi
    --
    Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe

  7. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    houghi wrote:

    > And how would I do that in putty?

    sorry, never used putty.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  8. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    houghi wrote:

    > EOS wrote:
    >>

    >> houghi wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do ssh to my machine from anywhere. Putty is the one I use from
    >>> Windtendo. I then use yast to maintain my machine. Yast in CLI works the
    >>> same.

    >> for ssh with X try
    >> "ssh -X root@ipadres /sbin/yast2"

    > And how would I do that in putty?
    >
    > houghi

    Not. The question was remotedesktop on <> not linux. windows
    doesn't run X. The only way to do this is running a bash shell with a X
    system: cygwin or whatever.
    Taco

  9. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    taco wrote:
    >>> for ssh with X try
    >>> "ssh -X root@ipadres /sbin/yast2"

    >> And how would I do that in putty?
    >>

    > Not. The question was remotedesktop on <> not linux.

    Wrong. From the original message:
    from a windows desktop pc and from a linux desktop pc.

    > windows doesn't run X. The only way to do this is running a bash shell
    > with a X system: cygwin or whatever.

    Mmm. I used to run X Linux programs on my Windows several years ago, so
    it is possible. I just have no clue as to how I did it. Could be that I
    did niot use putty with it.
    http://www.math.umn.edu/systems_guide/putty_xwin32.html

    houghi
    --
    Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe
    anything -- just give him time to rationalize it.
    Robert A. Heinlein, JOB: A Comedy of Justice

  10. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    Thans a lot everybody! I think I will use SSH and in some cases VNC.
    Anybody knows inf LogMeIn works with Linux?

  11. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    * Artificer wrote in alt.os.linux.suse:

    > Thans a lot everybody! I think I will use SSH and in some cases VNC.
    > Anybody knows inf LogMeIn works with Linux?

    https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/supportkb.asp

    Can I install LogMeIn on a Linux computer?

    Currently, we do not have any LogMeIn software products that are compatible
    with the Linux operating systems. We do plan to offer Linux compatibility
    in the future, but we cannot release or discuss any timelines as to when
    that will happen.

    --
    David

  12. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    In SINNER:

    [Snip...]

    > cannot release or discuss any timelines as to when that will happen

    Wottabuncha MAROONS.

    Xlate: "Never" is good for us; is "Never" good for you, too?

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  13. Re: Remote Desktop

    В Четверг 25 сентября 2008 05:51, Artificer писал:
    > I usually use the “remote desktop” feature on windows xp and vista to
    > remotely administer windows servers. I would like to know how I can
    > remotely administer a linux box (both graphically and non graphically)
    > from a windows desktop pc and from a linux desktop pc.

    I am using FreeNX everyday, and it's working better than most of solutions I
    ever tried. I am using it between my home PC and my machine at work, and
    sometimes on my laptop when I am going out of the country.
    It does compress data on the fly (can even apply some JPG-like compression
    on graphics to speed up the connection on slow links), and uses OpenSSH to
    communicate - that makes it fast, reliable and secure :-)
    Clients are available for Linux and Windows.

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  14. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    * Harold Stevens wrote in alt.os.linux.suse:

    > In SINNER:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> cannot release or discuss any timelines as to when that will happen

    > Wottabuncha MAROONS.
    >
    > Xlate: "Never" is good for us; is "Never" good for you, too?

    Hey! I was surprised to even find it as a FAQ! You'd think that if the F in
    FAQ waa accurate, they would be working on it now!

    --
    David

  15. Re: OFF Topic --> Re: Remote Desktop

    In SINNER:

    [Snip...]

    > if the F in FAQ waa accurate, they would be working on it now!

    I think we've both seen PHBs too often, too long, to believe that.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

+ Reply to Thread