How to lock a virtual terminal - Suse

This is a discussion on How to lock a virtual terminal - Suse ; I am running a long compilation process on a virtual terminal. Is there any way to lock the screen? I am looking for something like the lock screen feature in KDE or GNOME but for the CLI so I can ...

  1. How to lock a virtual terminal

    I am running a long compilation process on a virtual terminal. Is
    there any way to lock the screen? I am looking for something like
    the lock screen feature in KDE or GNOME but for the CLI so I can use
    it on computers without a GUI.

  2. Re: How to lock a virtual terminal

    Artificer wrote:
    > I am running a long compilation process on a virtual terminal. Is
    > there any way to ?lock? the screen? I am looking for something like
    > the lock screen feature in KDE or GNOME but for the CLI so I can use
    > it on computers without a GUI.

    `screen` is apparently the best to sue for something like this. That is
    if I understand you correctly.

    What you do is start the program inside `screen` close the `screen`.

    Another method might be to run the program with `nohup program &`

    Another way is to have it run with as much output to the display as
    possible and use it as a screensaver. (OK, that might not be such a good
    idea)

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  3. Re: How to lock a virtual terminal

    Artificer wrote:

    > I am running a long compilation process on a virtual terminal. Is
    > there any way to “lock” the screen? I am looking for something like
    > the lock screen feature in KDE or GNOME but for the CLI so I can use
    > it on computers without a GUI.

    vlock (CTRL-Z, bg, vlock, give password, fg)
    screen (CTRL-A d to detach, logout, login, screen -x)

  4. Re: How to lock a virtual terminal

    Le Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:28:14 +0200, Andreas Stieger
    a écrit:

    > Artificer wrote:
    >
    >> I am running a long compilation process on a virtual terminal. Is
    >> there any way to “lock” the screen? I am looking for something like
    >> the lock screen feature in KDE or GNOME but for the CLI so I can use
    >> it on computers without a GUI.

    > vlock (CTRL-Z, bg, vlock, give password, fg)
    > screen (CTRL-A d to detach, logout, login, screen -x)

    May be stupid ... from VT displays: CTRL-S CTRL-Q (ie XON XOFF) ?
    --
    JB

  5. Re: How to lock a virtual terminal

    On Sep 25, 7:28*am, Andreas Stieger wrote:
    > Artificer wrote:
    > > I am running a long compilation process on a virtual terminal. Is
    > > there any way to lock the screen? I am looking for something like
    > > the lock screen feature in KDE or GNOME but for the CLI so I can use
    > > it on computers without a GUI.

    > vlock (CTRL-Z, bg, vlock, give password, fg)
    > screen (CTRL-A d to detach, logout, login, screen -x)

    Do you mean that if I have vlock installed I can lock the terminal
    using CTRL-Z? What is screeen?

  6. Re: How to lock a virtual terminal

    Artificer wrote:
    > Do you mean that if I have vlock installed I can lock the terminal
    > using CTRL-Z? What is screeen?

    screen is a progrma that you can launch from the command prompt (hence
    the reason I wrote `screen` en not "screen" or just screen)

    houghi
    --
    Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe

+ Reply to Thread