Can't run Real Player in 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on Can't run Real Player in 11.0 - Suse ; I just installed 11.0 64-bit and then installed the latest version of Real Player. However, when I try to run it, I get the following: ALSA lib pcm.c:2104 snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library / usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so I have the 64-bit version ...

  1. Can't run Real Player in 11.0

    I just installed 11.0 64-bit and then installed the latest version of
    Real Player. However, when I try to run it, I get the following:

    ALSA lib pcm.c:2104snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /
    usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so

    I have the 64-bit version in /usr/lib64 and created symbolic links
    from there to /usr/lib with no success as realplay might want only the
    32-bit version.

    I have the following packages installed:
    alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.15-48.1
    alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.16-57.1
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
    libasound2-32bit-1.0.16-39.1
    libasound2-1.0.16-39.1

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Rick

  2. Re: Can't run Real Player in 11.0

    Rick.Wessman wrote:

    > I just installed 11.0 64-bit and then installed the latest version of
    > Real Player. However, when I try to run it, I get the following:
    >
    > ALSA lib pcm.c:2104snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /
    > usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    >
    > I have the 64-bit version in /usr/lib64 and created symbolic links
    > from there to /usr/lib with no success as realplay might want only the
    > 32-bit version.
    >
    > I have the following packages installed:
    > alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    > alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    > alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.15-48.1
    > alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    > alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    > alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.16-57.1
    > alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
    > libasound2-32bit-1.0.16-39.1
    > libasound2-1.0.16-39.1
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Why realplayer?
    is dumped realplayer for vlc ;-)
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Can't run Real Player in 11.0

    On 2008-09-24, Rick.Wessman wrote:
    > I just installed 11.0 64-bit and then installed the latest version of
    > Real Player. However, when I try to run it, I get the following:
    >
    > ALSA lib pcm.c:2104snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /
    > usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    >
    > I have the 64-bit version in /usr/lib64 and created symbolic links
    > from there to /usr/lib with no success as realplay might want only the
    > 32-bit version.
    >
    > I have the following packages installed:
    > alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    > alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    > alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.15-48.1
    > alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    > alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    > alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.16-57.1
    > alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
    > libasound2-32bit-1.0.16-39.1
    > libasound2-1.0.16-39.1
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rick

    I get the same error with MPlayer; but mplayer does run fine IF I choose
    "other" & point to the mplayer instead of the "default" plugin.

    I got realplayer running when needed if I select the where realplayer is
    located instad of the realplayer plugin.

    The other poster claim vlc will run realplayer files; will check it out
    as there are times that realplayer is needed for listening to samples or
    if the website only have support for windows media player & realplayer...

    Am also running 11.0 x86-64...

  4. Re: Can't run Real Player in 11.0

    On 2008-09-24, Rick.Wessman wrote:
    > I just installed 11.0 64-bit and then installed the latest version of
    > Real Player. However, when I try to run it, I get the following:
    >
    > ALSA lib pcm.c:2104snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /
    > usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    >
    > I have the 64-bit version in /usr/lib64 and created symbolic links
    > from there to /usr/lib with no success as realplay might want only the
    > 32-bit version.
    >
    > I have the following packages installed:
    > alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    > alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    > alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.15-48.1
    > alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    > alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    > alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.16-57.1
    > alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
    > libasound2-32bit-1.0.16-39.1
    > libasound2-1.0.16-39.1
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rick

    The other poster is in error; the "default" Realplay is vlc.

    Look for "real-kde" in the "/usr/bin" directory; it does work;
    gnome users can check out the "real-gnome" for doing realplayer.

  5. Re: Can't run Real Player in 11.0

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:11:52 -0700, Rick.Wessman typed this message:

    > I just installed 11.0 64-bit and then installed the latest version of
    > Real Player. However, when I try to run it, I get the following:
    >
    > ALSA lib pcm.c:2104snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /
    > usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    >
    > I have the 64-bit version in /usr/lib64 and created symbolic links from
    > there to /usr/lib with no success as realplay might want only the 32-bit
    > version.
    >
    > I have the following packages installed:
    > alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    > alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    > alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.15-48.1
    > alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    > alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    > alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.16-57.1
    > alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
    > libasound2-32bit-1.0.16-39.1
    > libasound2-1.0.16-39.1
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rick

    Looks like you upgraded to 11.0. Check your /home for
    hidden .asoundrc, .alsa, .realplayrc, etc. and rename them.

    Then try realplay again. Suse 11.0 uses PulseAudio server not Alsa.

    Do a search for "PulseAudio Server fix" for details on fixing esound
    devices in Suse. Some sound events may not work even after fixes.

  6. Re: Can't run Real Player in 11.0

    On Sep 24, 1:26*pm, noi ance wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:11:52 -0700, Rick.Wessman typed this message:
    >

    > > I just installed 11.0 64-bit and then installed the latest version of
    > > Real Player. However, when I try to run it, I get the following:

    > > * ALSA lib pcm.c:2104snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /
    > > usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so

    > > I have the 64-bit version in /usr/lib64 and created symbolic links from
    > > there to /usr/lib with no success as realplay might want only the 32-bit
    > > version.

    > > I have the following packages installed:
    > > * alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
    > > * alsa-1.0.16-39.1
    > > * alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.15-48.1
    > > * alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
    > > * alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
    > > * alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.16-57.1
    > > * alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
    > > * libasound2-32bit-1.0.16-39.1
    > > * libasound2-1.0.16-39.1

    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Rick

    > Looks like you upgraded to 11.0. *Check your /home for
    > hidden .asoundrc, .alsa, .realplayrc, etc. *and rename them.
    >
    > Then try realplay again. *Suse 11.0 uses PulseAudio server not Alsa.
    >
    > Do a search for "PulseAudio Server fix" for details on fixing esound
    > devices in Suse. *Some sound events may not work even after fixes.

    Thanks for the help. I deleted the offending files but with no luck.
    I'll do a search for the topic that you suggested. In the meantime, I
    happened on a workaround. According to a posting on the Helix
    Community list (https://player.helixcommunity.org/2008/help/
    playerfaq.html), PulseAudio can be bypassed by re-configuring the
    player.

    Rick

+ Reply to Thread