where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l" - Suse

This is a discussion on where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l" - Suse ; Hello all! I want to create my first link. "me" should link to "medit", the editor of midnightcommander. It should have similar functionality like "l" has in suse, which links to "ls -l". 1.) Should i use a hard or ...

  1. where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    Hello all!

    I want to create my first link. "me" should link to "medit", the editor of
    midnightcommander.
    It should have similar functionality like "l" has in suse, which links to
    "ls -l".

    1.) Should i use a hard or a soft link?
    2.) Where should i place such a link so that it is availiable from
    everywhere in the filesystem? Where is "l" located actually?

    Thank you!
    Tom

    --
    Help keep the usenet free!
    Use and/or support (e.g. by setting up an own server) the nonprofit

  2. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    Tom wrote:

    > Hello all!
    >
    > I want to create my first link. "me" should link to "medit", the editor of
    > midnightcommander.
    > It should have similar functionality like "l" has in suse, which links to
    > "ls -l".
    >
    > 1.) Should i use a hard or a soft link?
    > 2.) Where should i place such a link so that it is availiable from
    > everywhere in the filesystem? Where is "l" located actually?

    Work with alias. First type `alias` to see what other funcky things they
    have done. :-D

    Make a file called ~/.alias and put in the following:

    # Aliases
    alias me='medit'

    The next time you run a terminal, you will be able to just type `me` and
    it will run.

    Remember that alias is the first place that it will look, so if you have
    something like the following
    alias mount="sudo mount"
    whenever you type `mount` it will run `sudo mount` instead.

    So first test if the alias does not yet exists. Otherwise some program
    might do something you did not expect. e.g.
    alias cd = "rm $HOME -rf"
    will delete your home diirectory the moment you like to change a
    directory.

    I also have something like
    alias sshpi="ssh -i ~/.ssh/ssh-key houghi@pizza "
    This way I can log in with sshpi on my other machine.

    You can add complete bash oneliners, including parameters and what not.

    linking or symlinking is also possible. However I think it is easier to
    just use the .alias file. Easier to edit and change.

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

  3. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    Le Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:27:11 +0200, Tom a écrit:

    > Hello all!
    >
    > I want to create my first link. "me" should link to "medit", the editor
    > of midnightcommander.
    > It should have similar functionality like "l" has in suse, which links
    > to "ls -l".
    >
    > 1.) Should i use a hard or a soft link?
    > 2.) Where should i place such a link so that it is availiable from
    > everywhere in the filesystem? Where is "l" located actually?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Tom

    alias rather than link ?

    --
    JB

  4. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    Hello houghi!

    > Work with alias. First type `alias` to see what other funcky things they
    > have done. :-D
    >
    > Make a file called ~/.alias and put in the following:
    >
    > # Aliases
    > alias me='medit'

    Thank you very much for your advice! It works perfect and is exactly what I
    wanted to achieve!

    Could you tell me how I can erase aliases again? I have read all the
    man-file of alias, but it speaks only about the creation of aliases and
    mentiones nowhere the deleting of them..

    Best regards and thanks!!

    tom

  5. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    Hello JB

    > alias rather than link ?

    yes! Thank you!

    greetings
    tom

  6. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    * Tom wrote in alt.os.linux.suse:

    > Hello houghi!
    >
    >> Work with alias. First type `alias` to see what other funcky things
    >> they have done. :-D
    >>
    >> Make a file called ~/.alias and put in the following:
    >>
    >> # Aliases
    >> alias me='medit'

    > Thank you very much for your advice! It works perfect and is exactly
    > what I wanted to achieve!
    >
    > Could you tell me how I can erase aliases again? I have read all the
    > man-file of alias, but it speaks only about the creation of aliases
    > and mentiones nowhere the deleting of them..
    >
    > Best regards and thanks!!

    Remove them from the alias file or unalias to temporarily disable
    it.

    Removal from the file will only 'remove' the alias in a new shell or after
    a reboot.

    --
    David

  7. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:57:09 +0300, Tom wrote:

    > Could you tell me how I can erase aliases again? I have read all the
    > man-file of alias, but it speaks only about the creation of aliases and
    > mentiones nowhere the deleting of them..
    >
    > Best regards and thanks!!
    >
    > tom

    unalias

    JohnK

  8. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    thank you!!

  9. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    thank you!!

  10. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    Tom wrote:

    > thank you!!

    Either your newsreader is broken or you have no idea how this all works.

    You have now posted three times the same messages without including
    anything what you were thankfull about. Please quote the relative parts
    that you are thankfull about, because now I am forced to go back a step
    to get that information.

    Because it is a 'Thank you' it does not mean that it does not need to
    follow the standard quoting rules.

    houghi
    --
    Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe

  11. Re: where should i place links such as "l" = "ls -l"

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:15:20 +0300, Tom typed this message:

    > thank you!!

    If you're using Suse 11 there is a built-in "l=ls -l"

+ Reply to Thread