opensuse 10.2 x64 - some processes running with uid 100 and 101 - Suse

This is a discussion on opensuse 10.2 x64 - some processes running with uid 100 and 101 - Suse ; Hi group, Just noticed something strange; 4 processes use numeric uid (no username assigned to theses uids): /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system, with uid 100 /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket hald-addon-keyboard: listening on /dev/input/event1 ....run with uid 101 any explanation ...

  1. opensuse 10.2 x64 - some processes running with uid 100 and 101

    Hi group,

    Just noticed something strange;

    4 processes use numeric uid (no username assigned to theses uids):

    /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system, with uid 100

    /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
    hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
    hald-addon-keyboard: listening on /dev/input/event1
    ....run with uid 101

    any explanation ? (why no regular username ?)

    TIA
    fabrice

  2. Re: opensuse 10.2 x64 - some processes running with uid 100 and 101

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:54:44 +0200, fabrice wrote:
    > 4 processes use numeric uid (no username assigned to theses uids)

    Hopefully these uids *do* have corresponding accounts, which you can
    check by looking for the uid in /etc/password.

    And if this the case, you should notice that the account name
    is longer than eight characters.

    Presumably you have observed these processes using the ps program,
    which does not show account names longer than eight characters,
    but shows the uid instead.

  3. Re: opensuse 10.2 x64 - some processes running with uid 100 and 101

    J G Miller a écrit :
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:54:44 +0200, fabrice wrote:
    >> 4 processes use numeric uid (no username assigned to theses uids)

    > Hopefully these uids *do* have corresponding accounts, which you can
    > check by looking for the uid in /etc/password.
    >
    > And if this the case, you should notice that the account name
    > is longer than eight characters.
    >
    > Presumably you have observed these processes using the ps program,
    > which does not show account names longer than eight characters,
    > but shows the uid instead.

    I had looked before at /etc/passwd, but too quickly...should change my
    glasses, or use grep !

    You're right, the guilty was ps (didn't know it has limitation at 8 chars).

    Many thanks for the explanation.
    Fabrice

  4. Re: opensuse 10.2 x64 - some processes running with uid 100 and 101

    Le mercredi, 24 septembre, 2008 08:11:14 +0200, fabrice a écrit :

    > You're right, the guilty was ps (didn't know it has limitation at 8
    > chars).

    In fact, "limitation" is not the appropriate term to use.

    In its default format, the width of the username file which ps allocates
    (it has to allocate something in order to align the columns) is a maximum
    in GNU ps of 8, I think, it is 10 in Solaris.

    It can in fact display the username up to some reasonable length if you
    use the formatting options, but this means you have to specify every field
    you want to display.

    Here is an example

    ps -e -opid,user:20,group:20,ppid,stime,tty,args

    where the user and group fields are set to a width of 20 characters.

    In order to avoid having to specify the format all the time, you
    can save this in the PS_FORMAT environmental variable.

    man ps

    for further details of all the fields and formats styles one
    can use.

  5. Re: opensuse 10.2 x64 - some processes running with uid 100 and 101

    J G Miller a écrit :
    > Le mercredi, 24 septembre, 2008 08:11:14 +0200, fabrice a écrit :
    >
    > > You're right, the guilty was ps (didn't know it has limitation at 8
    > > chars).

    > In fact, "limitation" is not the appropriate term to use.
    >
    > In its default format, the width of the username file which ps allocates
    > (it has to allocate something in order to align the columns) is a maximum
    > in GNU ps of 8, I think, it is 10 in Solaris.
    >
    > It can in fact display the username up to some reasonable length if you
    > use the formatting options, but this means you have to specify every field
    > you want to display.
    >
    > Here is an example
    >
    > ps -e -opid,user:20,group:20,ppid,stime,tty,args
    >
    > where the user and group fields are set to a width of 20 characters.
    >
    > In order to avoid having to specify the format all the time, you
    > can save this in the PS_FORMAT environmental variable.
    >
    > man ps
    >
    > for further details of all the fields and formats styles one
    > can use.

    thanks for your very accurate explanation
    fabrice

+ Reply to Thread