Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carry over programs and settings? - Suse

This is a discussion on Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carry over programs and settings? - Suse ; As it says in the subject line, really. I like my OpenSUSE, and I'd like to go from 10.3 to 11. Is it possible to carry over programs/program settings etc., or will everything have to go? If it is possible, ...

  1. Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carry over programs and settings?

    As it says in the subject line, really. I like my OpenSUSE, and I'd like to
    go from 10.3 to 11.

    Is it possible to carry over programs/program settings etc., or will
    everything have to go? If it is possible, can I trust 11 to do that, or will
    I have to shepherd things myself?

    'Chops

  2. Re: Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carry over programs and settings?

    Moschops wrote:

    > from 10.3 to 11.

    http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/bweber/en..._opensuse_103/

  3. Re: Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carryover programs and settings?

    Moschops wrote:
    > As it says in the subject line, really. I like my OpenSUSE, and I'd like to
    > go from 10.3 to 11.
    >
    > Is it possible to carry over programs/program settings etc., or will
    > everything have to go? If it is possible, can I trust 11 to do that, or will
    > I have to shepherd things myself?
    >
    > 'Chops

    I had no problem with the 10.3 to 11.0 upgrade. Everything was intact.
    That is no guarantee that YOUR system will act the same. I did not care
    if the upgrade failed, ruined my system and if I had to do a clean
    install. Never put yourself on the line for loss data, backup anything
    you can't reinstall. It's common sense.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  4. Re: Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carry over programs and settings?

    Moschops wrote:
    > As it says in the subject line, really. I like my OpenSUSE, and I'd like to
    > go from 10.3 to 11.

    What is the reason you need to upgrade. Seriously. Ask this question
    yourself. What is broken that you can't use it anymore.

    > Is it possible to carry over programs/program settings etc., or will
    > everything have to go? If it is possible, can I trust 11 to do that, or will
    > I have to shepherd things myself?

    NEVER trust anything EVER. That is what you have backups for.

    Also this answer has been asked since 4,2 and the answer is always the
    same and will be the some for always.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  5. Re: Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carryover programs and settings?

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:11:08 +0100, Moschops typed this message:

    > As it says in the subject line, really. I like my OpenSUSE, and I'd like
    > to go from 10.3 to 11.
    >
    > Is it possible to carry over programs/program settings etc., or will
    > everything have to go? If it is possible, can I trust 11 to do that, or
    > will I have to shepherd things myself?
    >
    > 'Chops

    Upgrade or clean install are easier when /home is on a separate partition.

    Both have problems, but upgrade tends to keep all existing data better
    than a clean install, for example, files and directories in /var/.
    You'll have to track down obsolete configuration files to clean up minor
    problems, like alsa files in /home/userid.

    Either choice back up important data.

  6. Re: Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carry over programs and settings?

    houghi wrote:

    > Moschops wrote:
    >> As it says in the subject line, really. I like my OpenSUSE, and I'd like
    >> to go from 10.3 to 11.

    > What is the reason you need to upgrade. Seriously. Ask this question
    > yourself. What is broken that you can't use it anymore.
    >
    >> Is it possible to carry over programs/program settings etc., or will
    >> everything have to go? If it is possible, can I trust 11 to do that, or
    >> will I have to shepherd things myself?

    > NEVER trust anything EVER. That is what you have backups for.

    In the days when I used to have motorbikes, I never had one with a 2 stroke
    engine because it seemed completely implausible to me that a 2 stroke
    engine could work. It appeared to defy the laws of physics.

    Similarly, the idea that one operating system can be installed on top of
    another and expected to work reliably seems implausible to me. I have to
    admit that the overwhelming evidence is that 2 stroke engines do work, and
    perhaps there is evidence that upgrade installations can work. But my
    wariness of them remains.

    > Also this answer has been asked since 4,2 and the answer is always the
    > same and will be the some for always.

    My answer is to always do a new install to a clean partition, and then make
    a copy of my /home partition. That way I carry over settings, but if
    anything goes wrong the earlier setup (programs and data) is all still
    there unchanged.

    Chris Gordon-Smith
    www.simsoup.info

  7. Re: Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carry over programs and settings?

    Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
    > Similarly, the idea that one operating system can be installed on top of
    > another and expected to work reliably seems implausible to me. I have to
    > admit that the overwhelming evidence is that 2 stroke engines do work, and
    > perhaps there is evidence that upgrade installations can work. But my
    > wariness of them remains.

    "It can" and "It will" do not mean the same thing.

    > My answer is to always do a new install to a clean partition, and then make
    > a copy of my /home partition. That way I carry over settings, but if
    > anything goes wrong the earlier setup (programs and data) is all still
    > there unchanged.

    That has been the answer since 4,2 came out and that will be the answer
    for many, many versions in the future.
    It holds true for each ande every OS out there, no matter how much it is
    tested and how little people have problems have with it.

    This is even true for any upgrade. I most likely can upgrade my slrn to
    a newer version. However I also understand that it can fail.

    You do know that there are other places you must backup to be able to
    restore. /home only has (part of) the users settings. So no other
    things. No crontabs. Not all of the mail sometimes. And many more
    things.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  8. Re: Going from 10.3 to 11 - complete wipe necessary or can I carryover programs and settings?

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:11:08 +0100, Moschops wrote:

    > As it says in the subject line, really. I like my OpenSUSE, and I'd like
    > to go from 10.3 to 11.
    >
    > Is it possible to carry over programs/program settings etc., or will
    > everything have to go? If it is possible, can I trust 11 to do that, or
    > will I have to shepherd things myself?

    As others have mentioned, you *should* be able to do that upgrade, but
    make sure you back up everything important, and if it goes pear-shaped
    reinstall.

    I don't know of any particular issues with doing 10.3 -> 11.0

    Your chances of a successful upgrade are better if you haven't installed
    too much from outside repositories and / or installed from source. Even
    then it should still be manageable if you think about what you are doing.

    In fact over the past 3 days I have done
    2 x 10.0 -> 11.0 and
    1 x 10.2 -> 11.0
    without any significant issues and no loss of data.

    When I did the 10.2 -> 11.0 upgrade, I noticed at one stage it gave me a
    list of my existing repositories. As I had quite a bit of stuff from
    packman installed on that box, I changed the packman target from 10.2 to
    11.0 and re-enabled it (all of the old repos were disabled for the
    upgrade). I was then able to upgrade to the newer pacman stuff and
    didn't have any dependency issues. NB. The part where I changed the
    repos didn't allow me to add any new ones, and really didn't look like it
    was intended to do what I did with it, but it worked OK.

    I have previously upgraded my home machine from 10.3 -> 11.0. When I did
    that upgrade, I used the net install disk. That upgrade actually has a
    part to add / modify repositories as part of the process, so it is even
    easier. That made the upgrade very smooth. The other advantage of the
    net install method is that you don't have to download an entire DVD / CD,
    install and then download half as much again for the first update.

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

+ Reply to Thread