Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help - Suse

This is a discussion on Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help - Suse ; I'm running 10.3 on my older box and want to get my just purchased 'bamboo' tablet running. Does anybody have experience with this ? Can you tell me how you got it to work please ? So far I looked ...

  1. Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    I'm running 10.3 on my older box and want to get my just purchased 'bamboo'
    tablet running. Does anybody have experience with this ? Can you tell me
    how you got it to work please ? So far I looked at the Linux Wacom project
    page but I'm hoping that this can be done without installing from source.
    I have both 'x11-input-wacom-0.8.1-34.6'
    and 'x11-input-wacom-tools-0.8.1-34.6' installed. When I run
    tail -f /var/log/messages I get:

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..Sep 21 14:16:16 jupiter kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    Sep 21 14:16:23 jupiter kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
    uhci_hcd and address 3
    Sep 21 14:16:24 jupiter kernel: usb 1-2: new device found, idVendor=056a,
    idProduct=0017
    Sep 21 14:16:24 jupiter kernel: usb 1-2: new device strings: Mfr=1,
    Product=2, S erialNumber=0
    Sep 21 14:16:24 jupiter kernel: usb 1-2: Product: CTE-450
    Sep 21 14:16:24 jupiter kernel: usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Wacom Co.,Ltd.
    Sep 21 14:16:24 jupiter kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1
    choice

    So it seems that the kernel is detecting my tablet as a uhci_hcd device.
    This, according to what I read at the Linux Wacom Project page is
    incorrect...

    TIA.

    Michael Soibelman

    P.S. I'm looking forward to using this in Gimp as it should help me to
    produce better drawings. A trackball just doesn't work well for freehand
    drawing. I've been looking forward to using a tablet for some time.
    Finally got that whopping $100.00 together and made the big commitment...

    :-) LOL

  2. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > I'm running 10.3 on my older box and want to get my just purchased 'bamboo'
    > tablet running. [...]
    > Sep 21 14:16:24 jupiter kernel: usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Wacom Co.,Ltd.
    > Sep 21 14:16:24 jupiter kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    >
    > So it seems that the kernel is detecting my tablet as a uhci_hcd device.

    uhci_hcd is the USB controller driver, it just tells you that it sees
    a new USB device at one of its ports. Any messages from the actual
    device driver would come after that.

    The driver for you tablet would be the "wacom" module, but it got Bamboo
    support with kernel 2.6.23 and Bamboo1+Fun support in 2.6.25, i.e., you
    need at least SUSE 11.0.

    Regards,
    Clemens

  3. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    Clemens Ladisch wrote:

    > The driver for you tablet would be the "wacom" module, but it got Bamboo
    > support with kernel 2.6.23 and Bamboo1+Fun support in 2.6.25, i.e., you
    > need at least SUSE 11.0.

    I don't know if the OP got his Bamboo working but I have a different problem
    with mine. The wacom module is loaded and the Yast Hardware Information
    list shows my USB optical mouse as Mouse2 and my Bamboo as Mouse1. If I
    test my mouse in the Mouse Model module, it responds not only to mouse
    clicks and wheel movements, it also responds to pen movement and button
    clicks. So I assume so far that all is well.

    My problem is that my pen is in relative mode. That is, each time I click
    and drag, the pointer moves from wherever I last left it. What I want is to
    put it into absolute mode so that absolute positions on the pad relate to
    absolute positions on the screen. So if I move the pen to the bottom right
    of the screen, I want the pointer to be at the bottom right of the screen
    instantly. And if I then move it to the top left, I want the pointer to go
    there in one movement.

    However, I want the optical mouse to move in the same relative way that it
    has always worked. Is this a case of having my cake and eating it, too?

    I could live with having to run some utility to switch between using the
    mouse and using the pen, but I find it quite literally a pain to have to
    use the pen in relative mode. Is there a solution?

    --
    mochilero

  4. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    mochilero wrote:
    > The wacom module is loaded and the Yast Hardware Information
    > list shows my USB optical mouse as Mouse2 and my Bamboo as Mouse1. If I
    > test my mouse in the Mouse Model module, it responds not only to mouse
    > clicks and wheel movements, it also responds to pen movement and button
    > clicks. So I assume so far that all is well.
    >
    > My problem is that my pen is in relative mode. [...] What I want is to
    > put it into absolute mode. [...]
    > However, I want the optical mouse to move in the same relative way that it
    > has always worked. Is this a case of having my cake and eating it, too?

    You have two cakes, er, input devices, so you should be able to
    configure Mouse1 to absolute mode without affecting Mouse2.

    If Yast isn't able to do this, you may need to modify the xorg.conf
    file. See also ,
    especially section 5.2.

    HTH
    Clemens

  5. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    Clemens Ladisch wrote:

    > mochilero wrote:
    >> My problem is that my pen is in relative mode. [...] What I want is to
    >> put it into absolute mode. [...]

    > you should be able to configure Mouse1 to absolute mode without
    > affecting Mouse2.

    Thanks. Actually, it was already configured to be in absolute mode. The
    problem was that that xorg.conf wasn't set up right. Here's what I did to
    get it working:

    1) Ran Yast, went to Hardware, Graphics Card and Monitor (where else would I
    look for tablet settings?)

    2) Clicked on Tablet, chose WACOM Graphire v1-4(USB), USB Port, Absolute
    mode, Add Pen, Add Eraser (it's actually a Bamboo, but this option worked)

    3) Restarted X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice), tablet works but in Relative mode

    4) Looked in /proc/bus/input/devices, under Wacom Bamboo saw
    "H: Handlers=mouse0 event2"

    5) Saved /etc/X11/xorg.conf in /root/X11 then edited all lines in wacom
    sections that had
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
    to say
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
    and restarted the X server and it now works OK

    That is to say, it *did* work. When I rebooted today, it seemed to be back
    in relative mode again. So I looked in /proc/bus/input/devices and saw
    this:
    "H: Handlers=mouse0 event5"
    so I've edited my xorg.conf again. I haven't had time to reboot and try it
    again but fingers crossed. I don't want to have to edit my xorg.conf on
    every reboot, though...

    --
    mochilero

  6. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    mochilero wrote:
    > [...]
    > 4) Looked in /proc/bus/input/devices, under Wacom Bamboo saw
    > "H: Handlers=mouse0 event2"
    >
    > 5) Saved /etc/X11/xorg.conf in /root/X11 then edited all lines in wacom
    > sections that had
    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
    > to say
    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
    > and restarted the X server and it now works OK
    >
    > That is to say, it *did* work. When I rebooted today, it seemed to be back
    > in relative mode again. So I looked in /proc/bus/input/devices and saw
    > this:
    > "H: Handlers=mouse0 event5"
    > so I've edited my xorg.conf again.

    Try looking in /dev/input/by-id/; my Slackware 12.1 has udev rules that
    create non-changing device nodes in there.

    HTH
    Clemens

  7. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    Clemens Ladisch wrote:

    > Try looking in /dev/input/by-id/; my Slackware 12.1 has udev rules that
    > create non-changing device nodes in there.

    I've looked there and found this:

    usb-Wacom_Co._Ltd._MTE-450-event-mouse -> ../event3

    which reflects what I found this time round when I looked
    in /proc/bus/input/devices. So I know that the Bamboo is handled by event3.
    And I assume that whenever I boot up, the symlink
    usb-Wacom_Co._Ltd._MTE-450-event-mouse will point to the correct event.

    However, what do I do with this information? I could probably hack a script
    that reads this value and edits /etc/X11/xorg.conf on the fly right before
    X starts up (assuming udev is up and running at this point) but this
    doesn't seem like a clever way of handling the problem.

    I'm also wondering why that event number might change on subsequent reboots
    even though the hardware is exactly the same from one boot to the next.

    --
    mochilero

  8. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    mochilero wrote:
    > And I assume that whenever I boot up, the symlink
    > usb-Wacom_Co._Ltd._MTE-450-event-mouse will point to the correct event.

    Yes.

    > However, what do I do with this information?

    Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Wacom_Co._Ltd._MTE-450-event-mouse"

    > I'm also wondering why that event number might change on subsequent reboots
    > even though the hardware is exactly the same from one boot to the next.

    USB devices are registered asynchronously, i.e., the host controller
    driver does not scan for devices when it is loaded but just waits for
    the hardware to tell it that some device is connected.

    Best regards,
    Clemens

  9. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    Clemens Ladisch wrote:

    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Wacom_Co._Ltd._MTE-450-event-mouse"

    That simple. It's obvious now I think about it. But I wonder why it doesn't
    appear this way in my xorg.conf when the Bamboo is first set up.

    Thanks for this. :-)

    --
    mochilero

  10. Re: Wacom Bamboo on 10.3 or 11.0 help

    mochilero wrote:
    > Clemens Ladisch wrote:
    > > Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Wacom_Co._Ltd._MTE-450-event-mouse"

    > That simple. It's obvious now I think about it. But I wonder why it doesn't
    > appear this way in my xorg.conf when the Bamboo is first set up.

    This is a very good question which you should ask SUSE.

    Best regards,
    Clemens

+ Reply to Thread