On NFS - Suse

This is a discussion on On NFS - Suse ; I had two partitions accessable for read only on the server from two clients. I had not added the IP and name of the server in the client local /etc/hosts Also, the server must have the shared partitions/directories owned by ...

  1. On NFS

    I had two partitions accessable for read only on the server from two
    clients. I had not added the IP and name of the server in the client
    local /etc/hosts
    Also, the server must have the shared partitions/directories owned by
    nobody:nobody.
    Did that and got r/w access to both clients.

    Then I tried adding in the raided drives, and was successfull to a point.
    All of the following were setup, owned by nobody, and 755 as priveletes
    /raid
    /raid/john
    /raid/mark
    /raid/

    These are for backups, eventually, from 2 Linux and 4 Win clients.

    exports has:
    /dir IP-of-client(fsid=1000,...)
    /dir IP-of-client(fsid=1001,...)
    /dir IP-of-client(fsid=1002,...)
    etc. (fsid=... are all sequential)

    Added them into a client, and got access to all of them
    The client had the local directories set up as nobody and 755 prior to
    linking with NFS. Setup is rw.defaults in fstab

    I have r/w access on everything except /raid/john and it's setup is
    identical to the others but allows read only.
    I can write to it on the server with root, but that's blocked over NFS.

    Why, with fully identical setups all the way around (except for fsid=?,
    would one not allow write.

  2. Re: On NFS

    Hi John

    Without reading all of your details....

    You didnt mention your authentication scheme. In a simple standalone
    /etc/passwd form on both machines you must ensure that the UID's are the
    same. (The same username doesnt help)

    You can do some good things with /etc/exports to remap UID's and to
    allow global root access if you are inclined (no_root_squash). Setting
    this does of course gets dangerous in a public/multi client environment.
    rw,all_squash is the biggy that allows any client to rw and directory
    that you explicity export.

    Hope this helps

    Cheers Bob

    John Bowling wrote:
    > I had two partitions accessable for read only on the server from two
    > clients. I had not added the IP and name of the server in the client
    > local /etc/hosts
    > Also, the server must have the shared partitions/directories owned by
    > nobody:nobody.
    > Did that and got r/w access to both clients.

  3. Re: On NFS

    Bob Bob wrote:

    > Hi John
    >
    > Without reading all of your details....
    >
    > You didnt mention your authentication scheme. In a simple standalone
    > /etc/passwd form on both machines you must ensure that the UID's are the
    > same. (The same username doesnt help)

    What's interesting with this, is that the I am the only user non-root on
    three linux machines, with identical UID, and the mount that I can't access
    is the one that is specifically for my use from my Linux (all 11.0)
    machiens. The other files are set up for backups from windows machines.
    They work for me, while mine doesn't. It has fsid=n,rw,no_root_squash,symc
    on all, the only difference being the number of fsid. I have fixed IP
    specific from my Linux machines, and will have from theirs eventually.

    I will probably go to mount only the partition and not try to specify the
    directories to get around this.

    > You can do some good things with /etc/exports to remap UID's and to
    > allow global root access if you are inclined (no_root_squash). Setting
    > this does of course gets dangerous in a public/multi client environment.
    > rw,all_squash is the biggy that allows any client to rw and directory
    > that you explicity export.

    I'm not going to be that open with it. At least I do have some rw
    functionality.

    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Cheers Bob
    >
    > John Bowling wrote:
    >> I had two partitions accessable for read only on the server from two
    >> clients. I had not added the IP and name of the server in the client
    >> local /etc/hosts
    >> Also, the server must have the shared partitions/directories owned by
    >> nobody:nobody.
    >> Did that and got r/w access to both clients.

+ Reply to Thread