eth0 not connecting, forcedeth on nF430 mobo, openSUSE 11 - Suse

This is a discussion on eth0 not connecting, forcedeth on nF430 mobo, openSUSE 11 - Suse ; Hi there, I have a new DVD install of 11.0 on an nForce430 mobo with Athlon64 X2 5000+. forcedeth is loaded, /dev/eth0 exists, and ifconfig, ethtool fail to see anything unusual about the adaptor. It is setup to get IP ...

  1. eth0 not connecting, forcedeth on nF430 mobo, openSUSE 11

    Hi there,

    I have a new DVD install of 11.0 on an nForce430 mobo with Athlon64 X2
    5000+. forcedeth is loaded, /dev/eth0 exists, and ifconfig, ethtool fail
    to see anything unusual about the adaptor. It is setup to get IP with
    dhcp, but simply fails to do this. I have tried manually adding a route
    but that fails. Its fed from a Virgin Cable box (my laptop running
    openSUSE 10.3 negotiates an IP almost instantly on the same cable).

    Where do I start? It quite disheartening that a brand new distro is
    not able to achieve networking "out-of-box" with 2-3 yr old common
    nforce hardware.

    Its an Asrock ALive NF6-VSTA AM2 mobo, with the MCP61 chipset (nforce
    430 with GeForce 6150SE IGP). Its a newer version of the 5000+ CPU with
    65W TDP. Sound is great, and running the nvidia proprietary driver
    allows me to drive a 22" LG 1680x1050 LCD very nicely (nv under Xorg did
    NOT). All installed in a nice Antec NSK1300 case its a quiet but capable
    performer - perfect as a small size HTPC...or at least working network
    would make it perfect! :-)

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

  2. Re: eth0 not connecting, forcedeth on nF430 mobo, openSUSE 11

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > I have a new DVD install of 11.0 on an nForce430 mobo with Athlon64 X2
    > 5000+. forcedeth is loaded, /dev/eth0 exists, and ifconfig, ethtool fail
    > to see anything unusual about the adaptor. It is setup to get IP with
    > dhcp, but simply fails to do this. I have tried manually adding a route
    > but that fails. Its fed from a Virgin Cable box (my laptop running
    > openSUSE 10.3 negotiates an IP almost instantly on the same cable).

    You need to reset you cable modem.

    See: http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...ced_cablemodem

    --
    "Hey! HEY! Curious cat, here!" -- Krosp I (GG)

  3. Re: eth0 not connecting, forcedeth on nF430 mobo, openSUSE 11

    Hi there,

    Huibert Bol wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new DVD install of 11.0 on an nForce430 mobo with Athlon64 X2
    >> 5000+. forcedeth is loaded, /dev/eth0 exists, and ifconfig, ethtool fail
    >> to see anything unusual about the adaptor. It is setup to get IP with
    >> dhcp, but simply fails to do this. I have tried manually adding a route
    >> but that fails. Its fed from a Virgin Cable box (my laptop running
    >> openSUSE 10.3 negotiates an IP almost instantly on the same cable).

    > You need to reset you cable modem.
    >
    > See: http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...ced_cablemodem

    Thanks, that did the job. There I was thinking Linux was being stupid...

    :-(

    The Virgin cable box was left here by the previous tenant in the flat we
    just moved to. He says its paid up until early October so we can use it
    until it expires. Is it common for ethernet devices to block access if
    the other end of the cable is hotplugged from one PC/device to another?
    Thats just seems wrong to me, on many levels...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh

  4. Re: eth0 not connecting, forcedeth on nF430 mobo, openSUSE 11

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > The Virgin cable box was left here by the previous tenant in the flat we
    > just moved to. He says its paid up until early October so we can use it
    > until it expires. Is it common for ethernet devices to block access if
    > the other end of the cable is hotplugged from one PC/device to another?
    > Thats just seems wrong to me, on many levels...

    The problem is that the new PC gets the same IP address from the DHCP
    server as your laptop, but the ARP table (inside the modem) still has
    the old MAC address cached. Reseting the modem is just the quickest way
    to clear it, waiting for it to time-out probably takes 15 minutes.

    Alternatively, you can "fix" the MAC address on you PC to match that of
    your laptop, but that's just begging for trouble.

    --
    Huibert
    "Hey! HEY! Curious cat, here!" -- Krosp I (GG)

+ Reply to Thread