Connect my wireless - Suse

This is a discussion on Connect my wireless - Suse ; I'm trying to get opensuse11 wireless connected. New install opensuse 11 kde 4.0.4. I recently cleared the hdd's partitions and have so far installed a WinXP and grub OpenSUSE 11 I have no previous opensuse or yast experience and not ...

  1. Connect my wireless

    I'm trying to get opensuse11 wireless connected.

    New install opensuse 11 kde 4.0.4. I recently cleared the hdd's
    partitions and have so far installed a WinXP and grub OpenSUSE 11

    I have no previous opensuse or yast experience and not much kde; mostly
    ubuntu and I like wicd for graphical network connectivity. I have used
    both kubuntu, ubuntu, and something else like mepis or mint or this
    hardware successfully.

    Wireless card = AirLink recognized by opensuse as AR5212/5213 and by WinXP
    driver file ar5211.sys
    trying to access a WPA-PSK signal

    Yast network settings overview sez:
    AR5212/5213 blahblah (Not connected)
    Mac address
    Device name: wlan0
    Started automatically at boot
    IP address assigned using DHCP

    .... but I'm not gettting an IP address assigned and the ifconfig doesn't
    show any rx/tx.

    /etc/sysconfig editor
    Hardware/Network/wlan0
    line called: Setting of WIRELESS_WPA_PSK
    has the correct value for the passphrase

    What do I need to do to get the wireless to connect? The WinXP partition
    on the same box is connecting.

    I've read some pages trying to help me such as
    http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Tips/Wir...tage_Installat
    ion 2 How to Configure Wireless Network Manually

    .... but I'm confused about what to do.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: Connect my wireless

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I'm trying to get opensuse11 wireless connected.

    > I've read some pages trying to help me such as

    http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Tips/Wir...tage_Installat
    > ion 2 How to Configure Wireless Network Manually
    >
    > ... but I'm confused about what to do.

    If I use sudo /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up, I am asked for root's pw and then I
    get back to the command prompt without any information. In other systems
    I get some kind of ip address and other information when I do that.

    If I use /sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan, I get no such file or directory.

    /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 sez Link encap:Ethernet and gives a Hwaddr and shows
    that there are no rx or tx packets or collisions or bytes.

    I would also like to not have to input /sbin for the path and I am very
    very weak in the commandline department.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Connect my wireless

    Mike Easter wrote:
    >> I'm trying to get opensuse11 wireless connected.

    > I would also like to not have to input /sbin for the path and I am very
    > very weak in the commandline department.

    If I use
    sudo /sbin/dhcpcd wlan0

    I'm asked for root pw and then I wait for a while and then I get:

    err, wlan0: timed out
    err, wlan0: lease information file '/var/lib/decpcd/dhcpcd-wlan0.info'
    does not exist
    warn, wlan0: using IPV4LL address 169.254.179.20

    I need to be getting a 192.168.x.x from the router/dhcp.

    Network topology: cable modem to airlink router with mostly wired LAN +
    wired access point Airlink which is WPA which is what I'm trying to
    connect with wirelessly.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Connect my wireless

    > Wireless card = AirLink recognized by opensuse as AR5212/5213 and by WinXP
    > driver file ar5211.sys
    > trying to access a WPA-PSK signal

    You are fighting with the same issue than I did a while ago.
    You have Atheros-chip which needs 'madwifi'-package.

    Whole story and the solution is at openSUSE forum:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/network-i...ot-11-0-a.html

    In the above thread is no instruction how to blacklist the ath5k, but
    you for sure will find instructions at openSUSE-wireless forum.

    Good luck
    Jouni

  5. Re: Connect my wireless

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I'm trying to get opensuse11 wireless connected.

    Now I'm trying to get opensuse11 wired ethernet connected.

    That doesn't seem to work any better, so I'm going to start all over and
    reinstall.

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: Connect my wireless

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I'm trying to get opensuse11 wireless connected.

    Update:

    I changed/moved my network topology somewhat so that I could (temporarily)
    wire this opensuse11, but I still want to be able to choose either the
    wired or the wireless mode so that I can move the box away from the wired
    LAN and disconnect the wired eth0.

    The wired is an onboard SiS chipset. The wireless is still Airlink
    atheros chipset. The detection business during a reinstall was able to
    find and enable the wired even tho' I wasn't able to configure that with
    the existing install for some reason.

    Here is some information about the current status:

    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan

    02: PCI 09.0: 0282 WLAN controller
    [Created at pci.310]
    UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_168c_13
    Unique ID: y9sn.ZBIt0EdR4SB
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0
    SysFS BusID: 0000:00:09.0
    Hardware Class: network
    Model: "Atheros AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor"
    Vendor: pci 0x168c "Atheros Communications, Inc."
    Device: pci 0x0013 "AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor"
    SubVendor: pci 0x1948
    SubDevice: pci 0x3a02
    Revision: 0x01
    Driver: "ath5k_pci"
    Driver Modules: "ath5k"
    Device File: wlan0
    Features: WLAN
    Memory Range: 0xe3000000-0xe300ffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    IRQ: 17 (no events)
    HW Address: 00:18:02:0c:84:03
    Link detected: no
    WLAN channels: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    WLAN frequencies: 2.412 2.417 2.422 2.427 2.432 2.437 2.442 2.447 2.452
    2.457 2.462
    WLAN encryption modes: WEP40 WEP104 TKIP CCMP
    WLAN authentication modes: open sharedkey wpa-psk wpa-eap
    Module Alias: "pci:v0000168Cd00000013sv00001948sd00003A02bc02sc00 i00"
    Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: ath5k is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe ath5k"
    Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

    sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan

    wlan0 No scan results

    /bin/dmesg | less

    ath5k_pci 0000:00:09.0: registered as 'phy0'
    phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'pid'
    IT8705 SuperIO detected.
    parport_pc 00:09: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
    [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
    ath5k phy0: Atheros AR5213A chip found (MAC: 0x79, PHY: 0x45)

    /sbin/ifconfig eth0

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:5B:49:B3:C2
    inet addr:192.168.1.175 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::211:5bff:fe49:b3c2/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:490172 (478.6 Kb) TX bytes:169387 (165.4 Kb)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0xe000

    /sbin/ifconfig wlan0

    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:02:0C:84:03
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    Shouldn't I be able to choose between the eth0 and the wlan0 with the
    knetwork tool? What do I have to do to get the wlan0 to be able to see
    the access point with the scan?

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Connect my wireless

    Mike Easter wrote:
    >> I'm trying to get opensuse11 wireless connected.

    > Shouldn't I be able to choose between the eth0 and the wlan0 with the
    > knetwork tool? What do I have to do to get the wlan0 to be able to see
    > the access point with the scan?

    For some reason, I'm not able to do it with openSUSE.

    The live CD for Mandriva One 2009 rc1 seems to work as expected, including
    knetwork and both the eth0 and wlan0, so I'm going to replace the
    openSUSE11 install with the new Mandriva rc which also has KDE4.1.

    openSUSE was going to be inconvenient to handle a graphical ndiswrapper,
    such as ndisgtk which wasn't in the default repos. The mandriva doesn't
    seem to require the extra work.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread