Screenshots of websites - Suse

This is a discussion on Screenshots of websites - Suse ; Want to take a screenshot of a site? kwebdesktop 1920 1200 image.png http://en.opensuse.org This makes a 1920x1200 screenshot of the website. Probably KDE has something so you can use it as background. I just thought it was a nice little ...

  1. Screenshots of websites

    Want to take a screenshot of a site?
    kwebdesktop 1920 1200 image.png http://en.opensuse.org

    This makes a 1920x1200 screenshot of the website. Probably KDE has
    something so you can use it as background. I just thought it was a nice
    little program. Neat. Useless for me, but that is never of any
    importance.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  2. Re: Screenshots of websites

    houghi,

    You wrote:
    > Want to take a screenshot of a site?
    > kwebdesktop 1920 1200 image.png http://en.opensuse.org
    >
    > This makes a 1920x1200 screenshot of the website. Probably KDE has
    > something so you can use it as background. ...

    If you have your KDE desktop configured to use a specific background image file,
    and you overwrite that file, your background will change when you do something
    such as switch between desktops.

    Where I've seen this: KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.10"

    Later,
    LF

  3. Re: Screenshots of websites

    LF wrote:
    > You wrote:
    >> Want to take a screenshot of a site?
    >> kwebdesktop 1920 1200 image.png http://en.opensuse.org
    >>
    >> This makes a 1920x1200 screenshot of the website. Probably KDE has
    >> something so you can use it as background. ...

    > If you have your KDE desktop configured to use a specific background image file,
    > and you overwrite that file, your background will change when you do something
    > such as switch between desktops.

    I am sure there is a way to change backgrounds without the need to
    change the file. If you do want to change the file, the best thing to do
    is use a symlink. That way you do not overwrite anything by accident.

    I myself use `wmsetbg -a $FILE`. I am sure both GNOME and KDE will have
    something like that and if not, you can use wmsetbg there as well.

    For me it is a bit more complicated, as I have some 40.000 1600x1200 and
    10.000 1920x1200 images. I also have 2 1920x1200 and 1 1600x1200 screen.
    I change backgrounds every 2 minutes with a small script.

    http://houghi.org/script/00_personal_scripts/background

    Then with a tail -f I am able to see what the filename of any
    background is. That looks like:
    0 1920 x 1200 /home/houghi/wallpaper/1920x1200/j/joanna_krupa/joanna_krupa_20080409_5001.jpg
    1 1920 x 1200 /home/houghi/wallpaper/1920x1200/j/jessica_biel/jessica_biel_20080418_5011.jpg
    2 1600 x 1200 /home/houghi/wallpaper/1600x1200/women/a/ann_poll/ann_poll_20070722_0567.jpg

    So instead of changing the file that is the background, it is better to
    use something like wmsetbg to change the background. That way you do not
    need to do anything and are still able to see a different background.

    No idea what that is under KDE or GNOME and too uninterested to find it
    out. :-D

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

  4. Re: Screenshots of websites

    houghi,

    You wrote:
    > LF wrote:
    >> You wrote:
    >>> Want to take a screenshot of a site?
    >>> kwebdesktop 1920 1200 image.png http://en.opensuse.org
    >>>
    >>> This makes a 1920x1200 screenshot of the website. Probably KDE has
    >>> something so you can use it as background. ...

    >> If you have your KDE desktop configured to use a specific background image file,
    >> and you overwrite that file, your background will change when you do something
    >> such as switch between desktops.

    > I am sure there is a way to change backgrounds without the need to
    > change the file. If you do want to change the file, the best thing to do
    > is use a symlink. That way you do not overwrite anything by accident.

    I have KDE configured to use filename
    ~/data/images/backgrounds-desktop/background.jpg for my background image, that
    filename being a symbolic link to the latest from
    . I downloaded it manually each
    month, name it something more useful to me (alongs the lines of
    `date +%Y-%m`.1280x1024.ordnancesurvey.co.uk.jpg), then run a script which
    deletes the existing link and makes a new one pointing to the latest background
    image file.

    > I myself use `wmsetbg -a $FILE`. I am sure both GNOME and KDE will have
    > something like that and if not, you can use wmsetbg there as well.

    Are you running WindowMaker?

    FYI, you do not want to use `wmsetbg -a $FILE` while running KDE. While it does
    change the background image, KDE is unusable after that point. Oh, I can still
    [Alt][Tab] between windows and kicker is still useable, so I could log out using
    it, but, after closing all open programs (something I normally do anyways prior
    to logging out), I take the easy way out and kill X using the
    [Ctrl][Alt][Backspace] key sequence.

    Later,
    LF

  5. Re: Screenshots of websites

    LF wrote:
    > I have KDE configured to use filename
    > ~/data/images/backgrounds-desktop/background.jpg for my background image, that
    > filename being a symbolic link to the latest from
    > . I downloaded it manually each
    > month, name it something more useful to me (alongs the lines of
    > `date +%Y-%m`.1280x1024.ordnancesurvey.co.uk.jpg), then run a script which
    > deletes the existing link and makes a new one pointing to the latest background
    > image file.

    OK. While you are at it, you can do the same for the image you see for
    the login (KDM) or even for the booting.
    I asume you do it because of the calander on it. Besides the fact that
    KDE will have something like that, you could make something like it
    yourself.

    That is more something for the GIMP newsgroup on how to do that.
    Advantage is that you won't be seeing the advertisement. You could even
    make a script that changes at 00:00 to have you clearly show the current
    day. (Mmm, nice idea for a new project)

    Or you could just `cal` on a terminal and show the terminal without any
    borders and so on, making it (a bit) transparrant at the same time.

    >> I myself use `wmsetbg -a $FILE`. I am sure both GNOME and KDE will have
    >> something like that and if not, you can use wmsetbg there as well.

    > Are you running WindowMaker?

    Yes.

    > FYI, you do not want to use `wmsetbg -a $FILE` while running KDE. While it does
    > change the background image, KDE is unusable after that point.

    As wmsetbg is workined into a script running with cron, I do not turn it
    off. Sometimes I go into KDE and obviously do not turn the script off. I
    just changes the background as expected and I see no problems with it.

    So what is it that happens?

    > Oh, I can still [Alt][Tab] between windows and kicker is still
    > useable, so I could log out using it, but, after closing all open
    > programs (something I normally do anyways prior to logging out), I
    > take the easy way out and kill X using the [Ctrl][Alt][Backspace] key
    > sequence.

    And this is related how to using wmsetbg?

    And again, I am sure there will be a program that does the same as
    setbg, but is specifically for KDE or GNOME and does not need human
    interface. Mmm. Apparently not. They tell to use xsetbg
    on http://tinyurl.com/2pfdxz instead of wmsetbg.

    Again, I never had any problems when using KDE and wmsetbg. I just
    tried xsetbg and the advantage I see is that my transparent
    gnome-terminal is updated as well, where with xsetbg it doesn't.

    houghi
    --
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom.
    Don't ever count on having both at once.

  6. Re: Screenshots of websites

    houghi wrote:
    > That is more something for the GIMP newsgroup on how to do that.
    > Advantage is that you won't be seeing the advertisement. You could even
    > make a script that changes at 00:00 to have you clearly show the current
    > day. (Mmm, nice idea for a new project)

    convert -size 180x100 xc:transparent -font Courier -pointsize 12 \
    -annotate +20+20 "`cal`" file.png

    Extremely simple. You are forced to use a fixed font however. Look at
    `man convert` for one or two extra parameters (ok, more then 2)

    For cal, look at man cal or install gcal if you want more. There you can
    see the holidays or the current day:
    `gcal -q BE 10 2008`
    `gcal -q BE 11 2008`

    Or you can download
    http://foss.mnit.ac.in:8080/content/..._3.5/S/17.html (just the
    code) and run `cc -DUNIX -o ccal cal.c`
    Download the following file data as well:
    http://foss.mnit.ac.in:8080/content/...l_3.5/S/2.html (just the
    code) and run ` ./ccal -e -d=cal.dat` do see in colour:

    October 2008 1: Take out the garbage
    Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su 3: --- Payday! ---
    1 2 3 4 5 8: Take out the garbage
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12 11: JACO Japanese Animation movie showings, 8 pm to mi
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19 15: Take out the garbage
    20 21 22 23 24 25<26> 17: --- Payday! ---
    27 28 29 30 31 22: Take out the garbage
    25: JACO showings
    *26: Daily reminder: Get some exercise!
    29: Take out the garbage