openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out - Suse ; Here the complete mail. Hopefully the speed will pick up, because download is below 100KB/s and upload is twice as fast. The openSUSE Project is happy to announce the first beta release of openSUSE 11.1. openSUSE 11.1 includes quite a ...

  1. openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    Here the complete mail. Hopefully the speed will pick up, because
    download is below 100KB/s and upload is twice as fast.

    The openSUSE Project is happy to announce the first beta release of openSUSE
    11.1. openSUSE 11.1 includes quite a few improvements and new features over
    the 11.0 release, including new versions of KDE, GNOME, the Linux kernel,
    improved YaST modules, and much more!

    The ISOs for this release have been created using KIWI and RPMs created in
    the openSUSE Build Service. This caused some delay in the release of beta 1,
    but is part of the transition to using the openSUSE Build Service for all
    development of openSUSE.

    What's in openSUSE 11.1 beta 1?
    ===============================

    There are plenty of changes in 11.1, here are some of the most notable
    improvements, upgrades, and new features.

    GNOME 2.24
    * PulseAudio improvements (PulseAudio 0.9.12)
    * Ekiga 3.0
    * Empathy Instant Messenger based on Telepathy framework
    * File manager improvements, including tab support and "compact" view in
    Nautilus
    * New deskbar plugins
    * New screen resolution controls
    * Accessibility improvements
    * Power Manager improvement: Tab added to configure time to automatically
    wake from suspend/hibernate
    * Banshee 1.3

    KDE 3.5.10
    * openSUSE 11.1 will include KDE 3.5.10 on the DVD media, but moved to the
    "other window managers" selection.

    KDE 4.1.x
    * KWin has compositing enabled by default, testing welcome!
    * Amarok 2.0 beta 1
    * Autohiding panels
    * KWin cube effect
    * Accessibility support
    * SVG support "almost everywhere"

    * Basic SELinux enablement:
    http://news.opensuse.org/2008/08/20/...lement-in-111/

    New YaST Modules
    * Re-written YaST Printer module:
    http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Developm..._openSUSE_11.1
    * Re-written YaST Partitioner module: Testing wanted!
    * Re-written YaST Security module: Checks the security of your system
    configuration.

    * Cluster stack features significant usability changes and has adopted
    OpenAIS, an industry standard also supported by leading vendors, for its
    core infrastructure. See http://openais.org/ for more info.

    * Support for Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) -- using KIWI, users can
    easily create an EC2 cloud based on openSUSE 11.1. (Documented here:
    http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/kiwi/kiwi...ile&rev=0&sc=0)

    * Improvements in OCFS2: Full integration with userspace cluster stack,
    POSIX file locking, extended attributes, and file system sizes up to four
    Petabytes (4PiB).

    * IPv6 improvements: openSUSE can be installed in an IPv6 environment and
    run an IPv6 Web server.

    * New BlueTooth features with BlueZ 4.6.

    Also:
    * Samba 3.2.3
    * Python 2.6beta3 and 3.0beta3
    * Linux kernel 2.6.27rc5
    * Xen 3.3.1 RC
    * PackageKit 0.3.2
    * GCC 4.3.2
    * X.org 7.4
    * OpenOffice.org 3.0 RC

    See http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=suse for a full list of
    packages and versions being shipped in the Factory distribution.

    Most Annoying Bugs
    ==================

    * Bug #427678: Build key ring of openSUSE-build-key missing in initrd.
    Workaround: hit "Import" on Public GnuPG Key error message, to import
    openSUSE:Factory OBS Project key.
    * Bug #427664: openSUSE-images missing from install media.
    Note: Installation will be slower. Images will be added for Beta2
    * Bug #427692: Desktop selection still offers KDE3.
    This option will go away in Beta2, and KDE3 will be moved to "other window
    managers."
    * Bug #418585: Error: Failed to detect print queues.
    Workaround: Just hit OK.

    * OpenOffice.org has been split into new packages for 11.1beta1.
    OpenOffice.org should be usable, but there are a number of known bugs:

    + Optional packages are not really optional, because the registry files
    are not correctly spread over the subpackages.
    + Java and Python components are not registered, so wizards do not work.
    + Dialog to change macro security level is empty (other dialogs may be affected as well).
    + Macro editor does not highlight lines with breakpoints.
    + Macro editor does not mark the line where the code is stopped (arrow).
    + "Help" and "From Template" dialogs do not have icons.
    + Wizard to select document type is not shown.

    The most annoying problems should be fixed before beta2 and beta3.

    See the wiki for the latest on annoying bugs:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:Most_Annoying_Bugs_11.1_dev

    Call for Testing
    =================

    Please remember that this is a beta release, and is not suitable for use on
    production systems. However, this release is ready for widespread testing,
    and we're encouraging everyone to download and test the beta release. Please
    run the release through your usual routine, and let us know about any bugs
    or other issues that you find.

    If you want to help testing using the standard test cases, look at
    openSUSE.org/Testing, and in particular see the new features specific to
    openSUSE 11.1: http://en.opensuse.org/Testing:Features_11.1 This is a
    definitive list of new features added into 11.1 that need testing.

    To follow the testing and development process, we suggest that you subscribe
    to the openSUSE-Factory mailing list, and join the #openSUSE-Factory channel
    on Freenode to discuss openSUSE development.

    Media and Download
    ===================

    The 11.1 beta is just one of the releases that will lead to the final 11.1
    release. You can find the entire roadmap on the openSUSE wiki:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap. Downloads are available here:

    http://software.opensuse.org/developer

    See http://en.opensuse.org/Mirror_Selection for a full list of mirrors. Note
    that you don't need to choose a mirror yourself, but you can use the mirror
    list if you want or need to select a mirror manually.

    Thanks, and have a lot of fun!

    houghi
    | Artist : The Who
    | Song : Sally Simpson
    | Album : Tommy Deluxe CD1

  2. Re: openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:54:42 +0200 houghi wrote:

    > Here the complete mail. Hopefully the speed will pick up, because
    > download is below 100KB/s and upload is twice as fast.

    Would 10,3 upgrade to 11.1 final ok, or should I install 11.0 first, or do
    a complete re-install?

  3. Re: openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    Polly the Parrot wrote:
    >> Here the complete mail. Hopefully the speed will pick up, because
    >> download is below 100KB/s and upload is twice as fast.

    > Would 10,3 upgrade to 11.1 final ok, or should I install 11.0 first, or do
    > a complete re-install?

    The answer is the same since version 4.2 went public. It will be the
    same till the end of times. Use a search engine to find the answer.

    If you think I sound pissed off is because I am. Don't take it
    personally. It is just that since version 4.2 this question has been
    asked over and over again and again and again.

    There is no change and the way to go about it is universally true, even
    though some people clainm that it is not the case with their
    distribution.

    houghi
    | Artist : Rene Froger
    | Song : Alles kan een mens gelukkig maken
    | Album : Nederlandse Tp 100

  4. Re: openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    Polly the Parrot wrote:

    > Would 10,3 upgrade to 11.1 final ok, or should I install 11.0 first, or do
    > a complete re-install?

    i prefer always a new install
    i have my /home on another partion, that makes
    that with a new install that i just have to mount my home to the new system.

    backup your home in tar:
    cd /path/to/backup_place
    tar -czf home.tar /home/user
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  5. Re: openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    EOS wrote:
    > backup your home in tar:
    > cd /path/to/backup_place
    > tar -czf home.tar /home/user

    You are doing it wrong.
    Firstly since 10.0 (or 10.1) /home is on a seperate partition, thanks to
    the intervention of some sort of God.
    Secondly, if you have one bit wrong, you have a big useless file.
    Thirdly, you need to look at each and every user.
    Fourthly, you already should have a backup with all your data. That
    should be on a seperate read-only partition and even a seperate drive,
    or pc, if possible.

    houghi
    | Artist : Frans Bauer
    | Song : Als de sterren aan de hemel staan
    | Album : Nederlandse Top 100

  6. Re: openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 10:19:27 +0200 houghi wrote:

    > If you think I sound pissed off is because I am. Don't take it
    > personally. It is just that since version 4.2 this question has been
    > asked over and over again and again and again.

    Nothing personal, just that I was born lazy! ;-)

  7. Re: openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    houghi wrote:

    > You are doing it wrong.
    > Firstly since 10.0 (or 10.1) /home is on a seperate partition, thanks to
    > the intervention of some sort of God.

    here it is ;-)

    > Secondly, if you have one bit wrong, you have a big useless file.

    OK

    > Thirdly, you need to look at each and every user.

    here it is ;-)

    > Fourthly, you already should have a backup with all your data. That
    > should be on a seperate read-only partition and even a seperate drive,
    > or pc, if possible.

    here it is ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  8. Re: openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    EOS wrote:
    >> Secondly, if you have one bit wrong, you have a big useless file.

    > OK

    I forgot on how to solve this. I personally do not zip my backups. Not
    doing so makes it much easier to restore. Just a `cp backup/file file`
    and I am done.

    However if you do backups over a network, then things can get very slow.
    Many backup programs will zip the individual files, like storeBackup.
    That will have a way of doing faster backups over NFS in the new
    version.

    I now use rdiff-backup on my new system.

    houghi
    | Artist : Pink Floyd
    | Song : Is There Anybody Out There
    | Album : The Wall

  9. Re: openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 is out

    On 2008-09-21, houghi wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    >>> Secondly, if you have one bit wrong, you have a big useless file.

    >> OK

    > I forgot on how to solve this. I personally do not zip my backups. Not
    > doing so makes it much easier to restore. Just a `cp backup/file file`
    > and I am done.
    >
    > However if you do backups over a network, then things can get very slow.
    > Many backup programs will zip the individual files, like storeBackup.
    > That will have a way of doing faster backups over NFS in the new
    > version.
    >
    > I now use rdiff-backup on my new system.

    I have always liked the idea of having remote backups.
    This was fine when my ISP gave shell accounts.

    They were acquired by the big local player and now there's no more
    shell.

    I have still 100 GB of disk space in their servers but only http and ftp
    connection.

    I haven't been able to rsync over ftp, so I'm doing the following:

    I rsync my stuff on a local backup directory. I've made a script that does
    everything and the last thing it does is sitecopy to send the chages
    to the remote server.

    This seems to work pretty nicely, I run it in cron once a night.
    I sometimes run it manually if I'm about to make some changes in my
    server and I might need a fallback snapshot.

    I tried to use incremental tar but the weekly full was too much, the
    whole thing is a bit over 2 GB.

    To transfer only the changes in the rsynced copy is quite reasonable
    over ftp, nearly never any errors.

    The few times when there's been an error in the transfer it's quite
    laborous to correct thoug, so I'm not fully pleased with this system, I
    don't trust ftp as a protocol.

    Rsync over ssh is great, I miss my shell account

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

+ Reply to Thread