Convert .wav to mp3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Convert .wav to mp3 - Suse ; Hi, I have to submit a voice recording in mp3 format for a language course that I'm following. I can make a recording in .wav format using a Philips audio player that I have and I can copy that to ...

  1. Convert .wav to mp3

    Hi,

    I have to submit a voice recording in mp3 format for a language course
    that I'm following. I can make a recording in .wav format using a
    Philips audio player that I have and I can copy that to my SUSE box via
    one of the USB ports; but I've so far failed to find a way to convert
    the file to mp3 format.

    I tried the following command in LAME (as recommended in the output from
    lame --help):

    peter@linux:~> lame -V2 /home/peter/mp3/voice001.wav /home/peter/test.mp3

    but got the following error message:

    Unsupported data format: 0x0011

    I know that the wav file is fine because I can play it in a variety of
    players (Amarok, vlc, kaffeine etc).

    The version of lame that I'm using is:

    LAME 64bits version 3.98 (http://www.mp3dev.org/)

    Is there something I'm missing?

    Thanks

    Peter

  2. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    Peter Bradley wrote:

    > I have to submit a voice recording in mp3 format for a language course
    > that I'm following. I can make a recording in .wav format using a
    > Philips audio player that I have and I can copy that to my SUSE box
    > via one of the USB ports; but I've so far failed to find a way to
    > convert the file to mp3 format.
    >
    > I tried the following command in LAME (as recommended in the output
    > from lame --help):
    >
    > peter@linux:~> lame -V2 /home/peter/mp3/voice001.wav /home/peter/test.mp3
    >
    > but got the following error message:
    >
    > Unsupported data format: 0x0011

    This indicates that the data was compressed using Microsoft's ADPCM
    codec; LAME supports PCM only. Try using ffmpeg:

    ffmpeg -i /home/peter/mp3/voice001.wav /home/peter/test.mp3

    --
    Huibert
    "Okay... really not something I needed to see." --Raven

  3. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    Huibert Bol wrote:
    > This indicates that the data was compressed using Microsoft's ADPCM
    > codec; LAME supports PCM only. Try using ffmpeg:
    >
    > ffmpeg -i /home/peter/mp3/voice001.wav /home/peter/test.mp3

    What about using mencoder (included with mplayer) to do this?

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  4. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    Ysgrifennodd Huibert Bol:

    > This indicates that the data was compressed using Microsoft's ADPCM
    > codec; LAME supports PCM only. Try using ffmpeg:
    >
    > ffmpeg -i /home/peter/mp3/voice001.wav /home/peter/test.mp3

    You guys are good! That worked just fine.

    Thanks Huibert.

    Peter

  5. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    Ysgrifennodd houghi:

    > What about using mencoder (included with mplayer) to do this?
    >
    > houghi

    It seems it didn't like being given an audio-only stream. But no
    matter, ffmpeg worked.

    Thanks

    Peter

  6. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    houghi wrote:

    > Huibert Bol wrote:
    >> This indicates that the data was compressed using Microsoft's ADPCM
    >> codec; LAME supports PCM only. Try using ffmpeg:
    >>
    >> ffmpeg -i /home/peter/mp3/voice001.wav /home/peter/test.mp3

    > What about using mencoder (included with mplayer) to do this?

    (Phew, it sure has a lot of options!)

    It looks like mencoder *isn't* the Little Engine (i.e., It Can't).

    --
    Huibert
    "Okay... really not something I needed to see." --Raven

  7. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    Huibert Bol wrote:
    >> What about using mencoder (included with mplayer) to do this?

    > (Phew, it sure has a lot of options!)
    >
    > It looks like mencoder *isn't* the Little Engine (i.e., It Can't).

    Yeah, it has one or two extra options. :-D The man page is 6.452 lines
    long. And all that just to watch porn. :-D

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  8. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    Peter Bradley wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have to submit a voice recording in mp3 format for a language course
    > that I'm following. I can make a recording in .wav format using a
    > Philips audio player that I have and I can copy that to my SUSE box via
    > one of the USB ports; but I've so far failed to find a way to convert
    > the file to mp3 format.
    >
    > I tried the following command in LAME (as recommended in the output from
    > lame --help):
    >
    > peter@linux:~> lame -V2 /home/peter/mp3/voice001.wav /home/peter/test.mp3
    >
    > but got the following error message:
    >
    > Unsupported data format: 0x0011
    >
    > I know that the wav file is fine because I can play it in a variety of
    > players (Amarok, vlc, kaffeine etc).
    >
    > The version of lame that I'm using is:
    >
    > LAME 64bits version 3.98 (http://www.mp3dev.org/)
    >
    > Is there something I'm missing?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Peter

    Try
    audiokonverter - A utility to convert between OGG, MP3, AAC, FLAC and WAV.

    or jRipper can encode and decode Wav, Flac, MP3, Ogg, AAC(M4A) formats.
    It can also do transcoding between various formats.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  9. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    Ysgrifennodd Blattus Slafaly:
    > Peter Bradley wrote:
    >
    > Try
    > audiokonverter - A utility to convert between OGG, MP3, AAC, FLAC and WAV.
    >
    > or jRipper can encode and decode Wav, Flac, MP3, Ogg, AAC(M4A) formats.
    > It can also do transcoding between various formats.

    Hi Blattus,

    I'd already tried that. audiokonverter appears to use the LAME
    libraries, because it gave me exactly the same error message.

    However, ffmpeg has done the job for me.

    Thanks anyway.

    Cheers

    Peter

  10. Re: Convert .wav to mp3

    Peter Bradley wrote:
    > Ysgrifennodd Blattus Slafaly:
    >> Peter Bradley wrote:
    >>
    >> Try
    >> audiokonverter - A utility to convert between OGG, MP3, AAC, FLAC and
    >> WAV.
    >>
    >> or jRipper can encode and decode Wav, Flac, MP3, Ogg, AAC(M4A) formats.
    >> It can also do transcoding between various formats.
    >>

    > Hi Blattus,
    >
    > I'd already tried that. audiokonverter appears to use the LAME
    > libraries, because it gave me exactly the same error message.
    >
    > However, ffmpeg has done the job for me.
    >
    > Thanks anyway.
    >

    > Cheers
    >

    > Peter

    There is also 3gpwiz which is a GUI front end for ffmpeg.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

+ Reply to Thread