PERL Compiling Question - Suse

This is a discussion on PERL Compiling Question - Suse ; [Note: this comes out of the flv to swf thread] Once I download a Perl tar file Extract it Run 'perl Makefile.PL' Run 'make' Run 'make install' as root (1) It installs on the local computer (2) It leaves behind ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. PERL Compiling Question

    [Note: this comes out of the flv to swf thread]

    Once I download a Perl tar file
    Extract it
    Run 'perl Makefile.PL'
    Run 'make'
    Run 'make install' as root

    (1) It installs on the local computer
    (2) It leaves behind the original folder (directory) which was made
    with the tar extraction along with all that was done in that folder
    (the additional stuff) by 'perl Makefile.PL' and 'make'

    My question:
    Can this folder be copied to a second computer running the same SuSE
    10.3 with the same home directory and then run 'make install' on it to
    install this program on the second computer?

    [I am trying to avoid repeating the whole process from an original
    perl.tar download]

    Paul

    --

  2. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    PaulRS wrote:

    > [Note: this comes out of the flv to swf thread]
    >
    > Once I download a Perl tar file
    > Extract it
    > Run 'perl Makefile.PL'
    > Run 'make'
    > Run 'make install' as root
    >
    > (1) It installs on the local computer
    > (2) It leaves behind the original folder (directory) which was made
    > with the tar extraction along with all that was done in that folder
    > (the additional stuff) by 'perl Makefile.PL' and 'make'
    >
    > My question:
    > Can this folder be copied to a second computer running the same SuSE
    > 10.3 with the same home directory and then run 'make install' on it to
    > install this program on the second computer?
    >
    > [I am trying to avoid repeating the whole process from an original
    > perl.tar download]
    >
    > Paul

    if all necessary perl packages are available on this computer too I would
    say yes, but the amount of work to copy and type these few commands were
    less work than typing your posting here...
    Taco

  3. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    PaulRS wrote:

    > [Note: this comes out of the flv to swf thread]
    >
    > Once I download a Perl tar file
    > Extract it
    > Run 'perl Makefile.PL'
    > Run 'make'
    > Run 'make install' as root
    >
    > (1) It installs on the local computer
    > (2) It leaves behind the original folder (directory) which was made
    > with the tar extraction along with all that was done in that folder
    > (the additional stuff) by 'perl Makefile.PL' and 'make'
    >
    > My question:
    > Can this folder be copied to a second computer running the same SuSE
    > 10.3 with the same home directory and then run 'make install' on it to
    > install this program on the second computer?
    >
    > [I am trying to avoid repeating the whole process from an original
    > perl.tar download]
    >
    > Paul
    >

    > --

    Probably. Give it a try ! When you run 'sudo make install' on the second
    machine you will see the process complete. If not you'll get an error
    message. Of course the caveat is that 'so long as the particular perl
    module you are installing on both machines doesn't encounter any
    difference(s) in the environment of those machines that would affect its
    functionality' then it should work...

    In most cases therefore it will. But to avoid this entirely just run 'perl
    Makefile.PL' separately on each machine..

    It's yours to try.. Good luck.

  4. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:45:49 +0000, PaulRS typed this message:

    > [Note: this comes out of the flv to swf thread]
    >
    > Once I download a Perl tar file
    > Extract it
    > Run 'perl Makefile.PL'
    > Run 'make'
    > Run 'make install' as root
    >
    > (1) It installs on the local computer (2) It leaves behind the original
    > folder (directory) which was made with the tar extraction along with all
    > that was done in that folder (the additional stuff) by 'perl
    > Makefile.PL' and 'make'
    >
    > My question:
    > Can this folder be copied to a second computer running the same SuSE
    > 10.3 with the same home directory and then run 'make install' on it to
    > install this program on the second computer?
    >
    > [I am trying to avoid repeating the whole process from an original
    > perl.tar download]
    >
    > Paul

    Yes but I think you'd only need to run the "make install" as root if
    both PCs are SuSE10.3. The safe bet is to copy the Tar file and go
    through the same steps in case the installed Perl versions differ.

  5. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    noi ance wrote:
    >> Once I download a Perl tar file
    >> Extract it
    >> Run 'perl Makefile.PL'
    >> Run 'make'
    >> Run 'make install' as root

    > Yes but I think you'd only need to run the "make install" as root if
    > both PCs are SuSE10.3. The safe bet is to copy the Tar file and go
    > through the same steps in case the installed Perl versions differ.

    And if you are really lazy, you could make a script like this

    #!/bin/bash
    # Perl
    TMP=`mktemp -d` && echo $TMP > /dev/null
    cd $TMP
    wget http://example.com/perlfile.gz
    gunzip perlfile.gz
    #cd to the a new dir if needed
    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    sudo make install
    cd
    rm $TMP -rf

    Then put that up on any server as e.g. runperl and then do from each
    machine you need it.
    wget http://example.org/runperl && sh runperl

    Even better would it be to find an rpm and do `rpm -Uvh file.rpm` Even
    more better would be to do the compiling on the build server and then
    you can do just `OCICLI http://example.net/file.ymp`

    Or ...

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  6. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:10:08 +0200, houghi typed this message:

    > noi ance wrote:
    >>> Once I download a Perl tar file
    >>> Extract it
    >>> Run 'perl Makefile.PL'
    >>> Run 'make'
    >>> Run 'make install' as root

    >> Yes but I think you'd only need to run the "make install" as root if
    >> both PCs are SuSE10.3. The safe bet is to copy the Tar file and go
    >> through the same steps in case the installed Perl versions differ.

    > And if you are really lazy, you could make a script like this
    >
    > #!/bin/bash
    > # Perl
    > TMP=`mktemp -d` && echo $TMP > /dev/null cd $TMP
    > wget http://example.com/perlfile.gz
    > gunzip perlfile.gz
    > #cd to the a new dir if needed
    > perl Makefile.PL
    > make
    > sudo make install
    > cd
    > rm $TMP -rf
    >
    > Then put that up on any server as e.g. runperl and then do from each
    > machine you need it.
    > wget http://example.org/runperl && sh runperl
    >
    > Even better would it be to find an rpm and do `rpm -Uvh file.rpm` Even
    > more better would be to do the compiling on the build server and then
    > you can do just `OCICLI http://example.net/file.ymp`
    >
    > Or ...
    >
    > houghi

    Good script but I can't imagine that someone looking to

    $ scp my:~/made.PL . && sudo make install

    isn't lazier than making a script.

  7. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    noi ance wrote:
    > Good script but I can't imagine that someone looking to
    >
    > $ scp my:~/made.PL . && sudo make install
    >
    > isn't lazier than making a script.

    Will that work across 32 and 64 bit?

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  8. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:45:49 UTC, "PaulRS"
    wrote:

    > [Note: this comes out of the flv to swf thread]
    >
    > Once I download a Perl tar file
    > Extract it
    > Run 'perl Makefile.PL'
    > Run 'make'
    > Run 'make install' as root
    >
    > (1) It installs on the local computer
    > (2) It leaves behind the original folder (directory) which was made
    > with the tar extraction along with all that was done in that folder
    > (the additional stuff) by 'perl Makefile.PL' and 'make'
    >
    > My question:
    > Can this folder be copied to a second computer running the same SuSE
    > 10.3 with the same home directory and then run 'make install' on it to
    > install this program on the second computer?
    >
    > [I am trying to avoid repeating the whole process from an original
    > perl.tar download]
    >
    > Paul

    Even though some of the responses assumed 'laziness' - I did not tell
    you that the final PERL program required 9 packages (dependencies) to
    be installed including all the un-tar, cd to subdirectory,
    Makefile.PL, make, make install . . . etc. This was the reason for my
    question.

    --

  9. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On 21 Sep 2008 03:33:32 GMT
    "PaulRS" wrote:

    >Even though some of the responses assumed 'laziness' - I did not tell
    >you that the final PERL program required 9 packages (dependencies) to
    >be installed including all the un-tar, cd to subdirectory,
    >Makefile.PL, make, make install . . . etc. This was the reason for my
    >question.

    For any future installs on other machines, use this:

    PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install FLV::Info'

    and it will download all prerequisites and install them. Took about
    three minutes on my box . . . :-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae

  10. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    Kevin Nathan wrote:
    > For any future installs on other machines, use this:
    >
    > PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install FLV::Info'
    >
    > and it will download all prerequisites and install them. Took about
    > three minutes on my box . . . :-)

    What about using the RPM nicely made by davjam79(1):
    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...p=1&q=flv-info
    Just click on the one click installer or run OneClickInstaller
    `sudo /sbin/OCICLI http://tinyurl.com/5xrddn` from CLI.

    (1)Not sure if 79 is his age or his year of birth. :-D
    houghi
    | Artist : Crash Test Dummies
    | Song : Just Shoot Me Baby
    | Album : Give Yourself A Hand

  11. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >(1)Not sure if 79 is his age or his year of birth. :-D

    Now wouldn't that be telling[0] :-)

    [0] You didn't actually think I'd give anyone the answer, did you?

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  12. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, houghi wrote:-
    >

    >>(1)Not sure if 79 is his age or his year of birth. :-D

    > Now wouldn't that be telling[0] :-)
    >
    > [0] You

    Huh? When I did the reply, I got the letters correct. What gives?

    All I wanted to post was the URL
    http://houghi.org/moving_pictures/AOLS_01.php (Best have your sound on)

    houghi
    | Artist : De Havenzangers
    | Song : Als de klok van Arnemuiden
    | Album : Nederlandse Top 100

  13. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    houghi wrote:

    > David Bolt wrote:
    >>

    >> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, houghi wrote:-
    >>

    >>>(1)Not sure if 79 is his age or his year of birth. :-D

    >> Now wouldn't that be telling[0] :-)
    >>
    >> [0] You

    > Huh? When I did the reply, I got the letters correct. What gives?

    And even the reply is encoded. It has something to to with th L, but
    what? Google does not really help here.

    houghi
    | Artist : Mike Oldfield
    | Song : Supernova
    | Album : The Songs Of Distant Earth

  14. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:

    >>[0] You

    >Huh? When I did the reply, I got the letters correct. What gives?

    Maybe the included Formfeed mucked things up a bit. Looking at my post
    in slrn, I see:

    Now wouldn't that be telling[0] :-)

    *** *** ****** ******** ***** *** **** ****** *** ******* *** ****

    ********
    ***** ****

    That's because the editor has all the text, spoilers and plain text, but
    slrn hides the text after that character, displaying "Spoilers visible!"
    to let you know it's been hidden.

    >All I wanted to post was the URL
    >http://houghi.org/moving_pictures/AOLS_01.php (Best have your sound on)

    Fmpmfpmfffmm mfffmmppp'fmp mfmppfmffpppmfm fmpppf mmpmpp ppfpppmpp
    ppfmpf fmpmfpppffmmmpp fmmmffpmfpmfffm fmmmppfmmfmmmffppfpppfmm
    mmmmfmmmmmffppp, mfffmm mfffmp?

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  15. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On 2008-09-21, houghi wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >>

    >> David Bolt wrote:

    I left this part just for fun :-)

    >>> [0] You

    >> Huh? When I did the reply, I got the letters correct. What gives?

    > And even the reply is encoded. It has something to to with th L, but
    > what? Google does not really help here.

    This may help:

    And more info can be found here:

  16. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:29:07 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > Fmpmfpmfffmm mfffmmppp'fmp mfmppfmffpppmfm fmpppf mmpmpp ppfpppmpp
    > ppfmpf fmpmfpppffmmmpp fmmmffpmfpmfffm fmmmppfmmfmmmffppfpppfmm
    > mmmmfmmmmmffppp, mfffmm mfffmp?

    ıɥƃnoɥ

    ˙ʎllıs ǝq plnoʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝsnɐɔǝq 'ou

  17. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    davjam wrote:
    >> And even the reply is encoded. It has something to to with th L, but
    >> what? Google does not really help here.

    > This may help:

    Double confusing, as I do not read my news with the spacebar to see the
    folloing texts. :-D

    houghi
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : El Farol
    | Album : Supernatural

  18. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On 2008-09-21, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, houghi wrote:-

    > Fmpmfpmfffmm mfffmmppp'fmp mfmppfmffpppmfm fmpppf mmpmpp ppfpppmpp
    > ppfmpf fmpmfpppffmmmpp fmmmffpmfpmfffm fmmmppfmmfmmmffppfpppfmm
    > mmmmfmmmmmffppp, mfffmm mfffmp?
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Mff mfpppfpfmmpp pppppffmp.
    Mfffmp'fmm mmmppmmmmffpmffpppmfm mfpppffpp ppfmpffmpmppppp fmpmfpmfffmm
    mmmmmffmpfmfmmmpmfpmfffm mfpmmmpfmpfmmpppppfmm

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  19. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On 2008-09-21, houghi wrote:
    > davjam wrote:
    >>> And even the reply is encoded. It has something to to with th L, but
    >>> what? Google does not really help here.

    >> This may help:

    > Double confusing, as I do not read my news with the spacebar to see the
    > folloing texts. :-D

    Do they serve daiquiries in the Spacebar?
    Do you need a straw to drink there?

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  20. Re: PERL Compiling Question

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Vahis wrote:-

    >On 2008-09-21, David Bolt wrote:
    >> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >> Fmpmfpmfffmm mfffmmppp'fmp mfmppfmffpppmfm fmpppf mmpmpp ppfpppmpp
    >> ppfmpf fmpmfpppffmmmpp fmmmffpmfpmfffm fmmmppfmmfmmmffppfpppfmm
    >> mmmmfmmmmmffppp, mfffmm mfffmp?
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >> David Bolt
    >>

    >Mff mfpppfpfmmpp pppppffmp.

    Fppmfpffm pppppffmp?

    >Mfffmp'fmm mmmppmmmmffpmffpppmfm mfpppffpp ppfmpffmpmppppp fmpmfpmfffmm
    >mmmmmffmpfmfmmmpmfpmfffm mfpmmmpfmpfmmpppppfmm

    Fmppfffmfmpp. Mmpfmffmp mmmfmp pmfmppmmmfmmfmp mfffmp'fmm pppppffmp
    pfmpffppfmfmpffmppfmmfmmmppmpm pffmmmpfmmffmpmpmfffm fmpppf
    ppmppfpfffmmmpp ppfpff mmpmmmfmfmpmppffmp mmmmfmmmmmffppp. Fmpmfpmmmfmp
    mmfppffmfpmfmpm mmpmpp mppfpmmppppp ppmppfpffmpp
    mmfppfpppmpffmffmmmffpppmfm

    Ppmmffpppmpm ffmppffmf...