CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse? - Suse

This is a discussion on CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse? - Suse ; What program in opensuse (11.0_x64) will let me monitor the core temperature of an Intel Q6600? I've tried ksensors (front end for lm_sensors) which will show me the temperature of my hard drive but not the CPU. I've also tried ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    What program in opensuse (11.0_x64) will let me monitor the core
    temperature of an Intel Q6600? I've tried ksensors (front end for
    lm_sensors) which will show me the temperature of my hard drive but not
    the CPU. I've also tried GKrellM and it shows hard drive and graphics
    card temps, but not CPU. Is there something else that needs to be
    configured somewhere in lm_sensors so that these front ends apps can see
    the CPU temps? The motherboard is an Abit IP35Pro in case the chipset
    matters....

    I know there are lots of programs for that 'other' OS that will let you
    read CPU temps so I'm thinking there *has* to be something in opensuse,
    it's just I've no idea how to make it work!! I suspect I'm in the right
    area with lm_sensors, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

  2. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    2CA001 wrote:
    > What program in opensuse (11.0_x64) will let me monitor the core
    > temperature of an Intel Q6600? I've tried ksensors (front end for
    > lm_sensors) which will show me the temperature of my hard drive but not
    > the CPU. I've also tried GKrellM and it shows hard drive and graphics
    > card temps, but not CPU. Is there something else that needs to be
    > configured somewhere in lm_sensors so that these front ends apps can see
    > the CPU temps? The motherboard is an Abit IP35Pro in case the chipset
    > matters....
    >
    > I know there are lots of programs for that 'other' OS that will let you
    > read CPU temps so I'm thinking there *has* to be something in opensuse,
    > it's just I've no idea how to make it work!! I suspect I'm in the right
    > area with lm_sensors, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

    What I use is gkrellm. But remember that all fdirst needs to be
    configured. Open a terminal and run `sensors`. I get something like:
    houghi@pasta : sensors
    w83627dhg-isa-0290
    Adapter: ISA adapter

    Now if you don't see that, most likely you have not configured the
    measurement yet. As root run `sensors-detect`. and click [ENTER] about
    27 gazillion times and then do what it says at the end.

    Now run `sensors` again and see of you now do have the data.

    With me the video cards are not in sensors, but they where available in
    gkrellm right from the start.

    The reason is that the data for my video card (and your HD) is retrieved
    from elsewhere.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  3. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    houghi wrote:
    > 2CA001 wrote:
    >> What program in opensuse (11.0_x64) will let me monitor the core
    >> temperature of an Intel Q6600? I've tried ksensors (front end for
    >> lm_sensors) which will show me the temperature of my hard drive but not
    >> the CPU. I've also tried GKrellM and it shows hard drive and graphics
    >> card temps, but not CPU. Is there something else that needs to be
    >> configured somewhere in lm_sensors so that these front ends apps can see
    >> the CPU temps? The motherboard is an Abit IP35Pro in case the chipset
    >> matters....
    >>
    >> I know there are lots of programs for that 'other' OS that will let you
    >> read CPU temps so I'm thinking there *has* to be something in opensuse,
    >> it's just I've no idea how to make it work!! I suspect I'm in the right
    >> area with lm_sensors, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

    > What I use is gkrellm. But remember that all fdirst needs to be
    > configured. Open a terminal and run `sensors`. I get something like:
    > houghi@pasta : sensors
    > w83627dhg-isa-0290
    > Adapter: ISA adapter
    >

    > Now if you don't see that, most likely you have not configured the
    > measurement yet. As root run `sensors-detect`. and click [ENTER] about
    > 27 gazillion times and then do what it says at the end.
    >
    > Now run `sensors` again and see of you now do have the data.
    >
    > With me the video cards are not in sensors, but they where available in
    > gkrellm right from the start.
    >
    > The reason is that the data for my video card (and your HD) is retrieved
    > from elsewhere.

    Ah, you're a good man Houghi..... you're getting me closer!!.....
    sensors was not installed (but lm_sensors was). I've now installed
    sensors, ran sensors-detect which added these two lines to the
    /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors file

    MODULE_0=w83627ehf
    MODULE_1=coretemp

    However gkrellm or ksensors still don't shows the cpu temperature and
    there still doesn't appear to be an option in the menus (yes, I
    restarted each app after running sensors-detect). Now what am I
    missing?

  4. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    2CA001 wrote:
    > Ah, you're a good man Houghi..... you're getting me closer!!.....
    > sensors was not installed (but lm_sensors was). I've now installed
    > sensors, ran sensors-detect which added these two lines to the
    > /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors file
    >
    > MODULE_0=w83627ehf
    > MODULE_1=coretemp
    >
    > However gkrellm or ksensors still don't shows the cpu temperature and
    > there still doesn't appear to be an option in the menus (yes, I
    > restarted each app after running sensors-detect). Now what am I
    > missing?

    Starting lm_sensors. Yast, System, System Services (Runlevel), Expert
    mode and see that it is on in eunlevels 2, 3 and 5. You can also start
    it there or do as root `rclm_sensors start`

    I thought that was explained at the end of running sensors-detect.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  5. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    houghi wrote:
    >2CA001 wrote:
    >> What program in opensuse (11.0_x64) will let me monitor the core
    >> temperature of an Intel Q6600? I've tried ksensors (front end for
    >> lm_sensors) which will show me the temperature of my hard drive but not
    >> the CPU. I've also tried GKrellM and it shows hard drive and graphics
    >> card temps, but not CPU. Is there something else that needs to be
    >> configured somewhere in lm_sensors so that these front ends apps can see
    >> the CPU temps? The motherboard is an Abit IP35Pro in case the chipset
    >> matters....
    >>
    >> I know there are lots of programs for that 'other' OS that will let you
    >> read CPU temps so I'm thinking there *has* to be something in opensuse,
    >> it's just I've no idea how to make it work!! I suspect I'm in the right
    >> area with lm_sensors, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

    >What I use is gkrellm. But remember that all fdirst needs to be
    >configured. Open a terminal and run `sensors`. I get something like:
    >houghi@pasta : sensors
    >w83627dhg-isa-0290
    >Adapter: ISA adapter
    >

    >Now if you don't see that, most likely you have not configured the
    >measurement yet. As root run `sensors-detect`. and click [ENTER] about
    >27 gazillion times and then do what it says at the end.

    >Now run `sensors` again and see of you now do have the data.

    >With me the video cards are not in sensors, but they where available in
    >gkrellm right from the start.

    >The reason is that the data for my video card (and your HD) is retrieved
    >from elsewhere.

    gans@home:~> sensors
    No sensors found!
    Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
    Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
    gans@home:~> sensors-detect
    bash: sensors-detect: command not found
    gans@home:~>

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    > gans@home:~> sensors-detect
    > bash: sensors-detect: command not found

    run sensors-detect as root, thusly:

    su -
    [type root pass when asked]
    sensors-detect

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE

  7. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    >>Now if you don't see that, most likely you have not configured the
    >>measurement yet. As root run `sensors-detect`. and click [ENTER] about
    >>27 gazillion times and then do what it says at the end.

    > gans@home:~> sensors
    > No sensors found!
    > Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
    > Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
    > gans@home:~> sensors-detect
    > bash: sensors-detect: command not found
    > gans@home:~>

    So have you ran `sensors-detect` as root? Alsp you must then run
    `rclm_sensors start` to run it and add it so that it is launched each
    and every time you boot.

    houghi
    | Artist : Guano Apes
    | Song : Plastic mouth
    | Album : Walking on a thin line

  8. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    DenverD <"spam.trap\\REMOVE \"at\" SOME\\texan.dk"> writes:

    >> gans@home:~> sensors-detect
    >> bash: sensors-detect: command not found

    >run sensors-detect as root, thusly:

    >su -
    >[type root pass when asked]
    >sensors-detect

    Of course if he has not installed lm_sensors that will not help. But yes,
    it needs to be run by root.

  9. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    > Of course if he has not installed lm_sensors that will not help. But yes,
    > it needs to be run by root.

    good observation, but to me his first posting was clear that it was
    already installed..

    and since i expected it to be installed as /usr/sbin i knew it would
    *not* be found from a user command prompt...therefore, i told him (as
    had houghi previously) to run it in a way in which it _could_ be both
    found _and_ do what needed to be done..

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  10. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    houghi wrote:
    > 2CA001 wrote:
    >> Ah, you're a good man Houghi..... you're getting me closer!!.....
    >> sensors was not installed (but lm_sensors was). I've now installed
    >> sensors, ran sensors-detect which added these two lines to the
    >> /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors file
    >>
    >> MODULE_0=w83627ehf
    >> MODULE_1=coretemp
    >>
    >> However gkrellm or ksensors still don't shows the cpu temperature and
    >> there still doesn't appear to be an option in the menus (yes, I
    >> restarted each app after running sensors-detect). Now what am I
    >> missing?

    > Starting lm_sensors. Yast, System, System Services (Runlevel), Expert
    > mode and see that it is on in eunlevels 2, 3 and 5. You can also start
    > it there or do as root `rclm_sensors start`
    >
    > I thought that was explained at the end of running sensors-detect.

    Ah, got it, I was missing the 'rclm_sensors start'. All is monitoring
    fine now. Thanks again.

    Now, when I load up all four processors with BOINC projects the four
    cores range from 66-72C which seems a bit excessive considering I have a
    Thermaltake CL-P0401 on top of the Q6600 which should keep it a lot
    cooler than that. I might try reinstalling the cooler as something is
    clearly not right! The whole reason for this exercise was to find out
    what the core temps were as I was getting the occasional random lockup
    of the machine. Also of interest is some of the voltages which seem to
    be way off.... gkrellm says the +12V is 5.84V, the -12V is -7.55V and
    the -5V is -3.26V. I didn't think it would run with the +12V that low
    so maybe it's time to get the multimeter out to check the Antec NeoPower
    550 which should be much closer to spec than that.... maybe the sensors
    are reading off....

  11. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    2CA001 wrote:
    > Now, when I load up all four processors with BOINC projects the four
    > cores range from 66-72C which seems a bit excessive considering I have a
    > Thermaltake CL-P0401 on top of the Q6600 which should keep it a lot
    > cooler than that. I might try reinstalling the cooler as something is
    > clearly not right! The whole reason for this exercise was to find out
    > what the core temps were as I was getting the occasional random lockup
    > of the machine. Also of interest is some of the voltages which seem to
    > be way off.... gkrellm says the +12V is 5.84V, the -12V is -7.55V and
    > the -5V is -3.26V. I didn't think it would run with the +12V that low
    > so maybe it's time to get the multimeter out to check the Antec NeoPower
    > 550 which should be much closer to spec than that.... maybe the sensors
    > are reading off....

    Do a reboot and see in the bios if those temeratures are correct.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  12. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    houghi wrote:
    > 2CA001 wrote:
    >> Now, when I load up all four processors with BOINC projects the four
    >> cores range from 66-72C which seems a bit excessive considering I have a
    >> Thermaltake CL-P0401 on top of the Q6600 which should keep it a lot
    >> cooler than that. I might try reinstalling the cooler as something is
    >> clearly not right! The whole reason for this exercise was to find out
    >> what the core temps were as I was getting the occasional random lockup
    >> of the machine. Also of interest is some of the voltages which seem to
    >> be way off.... gkrellm says the +12V is 5.84V, the -12V is -7.55V and
    >> the -5V is -3.26V. I didn't think it would run with the +12V that low
    >> so maybe it's time to get the multimeter out to check the Antec NeoPower
    >> 550 which should be much closer to spec than that.... maybe the sensors
    >> are reading off....

    > Do a reboot and see in the bios if those temeratures are correct.

    Oh boy did I make a rookie error when I built this machine..... I'll be
    hanging my head in shame for days!! I'm almost embarrassed to admit it
    because I've built enough machines that I shouldn't be doing things like
    this!! When I took the heatsink off the CPU to reseat it, to my horror
    I saw that when I had built the machine a few months ago I had neglected
    to remove the little bit of clear stuck on plastic that was used to
    protect the copper bottom part of the heatsink where it makes contact
    with the CPU (you know the stuff, like what's stuck on the front of the
    displays of DVD players, iPODs etc). No wonder my temps were far higher
    than they should have been.... I had an insulator between my cpu and
    heatsink! Thank goodness recent CPUs have overtemperature protection
    built in!

    So, I removed the plastic, applied new heatsink compound, reinstalled
    the heatsink and now I'm seeing full load temps of about 55C, some 17C
    lower than before which is much more respectable!! Even the idle temps
    are 5-6C lower at about 35C (the room is quite warm)!

    And just to close all this out, it appears that lm_sensors is not
    reading the voltages correctly on an Abit IP35pro as I took out my
    multimeter and measured the +12V rail at 12.16V (reported as 5.84) and
    the -12V rail at -12.30V (reported as -7.55V). The BIOS reports the
    voltages correctly though so it's a software issue and not an onboard
    sensor issue.

    Now to see if this thing still has the occasional random lockup.....

    Thanks to all for getting me up and running with temperature monitoring
    as it confirmed something was really wrong!!

  13. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    2CA001 wrote:
    > And just to close all this out, it appears that lm_sensors is not
    > reading the voltages correctly on an Abit IP35pro as I took out my
    > multimeter and measured the +12V rail at 12.16V (reported as 5.84) and
    > the -12V rail at -12.30V (reported as -7.55V). The BIOS reports the
    > voltages correctly though so it's a software issue and not an onboard
    > sensor issue.

    You can chenche the settings of how it reads stuff. What sesors-detect
    does is a lot of guessing. I get the following readings in gkrellm:
    +12 = 6.32
    -12 = -6.23

    However I do not see those figures when I run sensors, so they come from
    somewhere else and not lm_sensors

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  14. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    DenverD <"spam.trap\\REMOVE \"at\" SOME\\texan.dk"> wrote:
    >> gans@home:~> sensors-detect
    >> bash: sensors-detect: command not found

    >run sensors-detect as root, thusly:

    >su -
    >[type root pass when asked]
    >sensors-detect

    Thanks. Now why didn't *I* think of that. Must be
    getting old...

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  15. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    DenverD <"spam.trap\\REMOVE \"at\" SOME\\texan.dk"> wrote:
    >> Of course if he has not installed lm_sensors that will not help. But yes,
    >> it needs to be run by root.

    >good observation, but to me his first posting was clear that it was
    >already installed..

    >and since i expected it to be installed as /usr/sbin i knew it would
    >*not* be found from a user command prompt...therefore, i told him (as
    >had houghi previously) to run it in a way in which it _could_ be both
    >found _and_ do what needed to be done..

    And for which I thank you again.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  16. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    houghi writes:

    >2CA001 wrote:
    >> And just to close all this out, it appears that lm_sensors is not
    >> reading the voltages correctly on an Abit IP35pro as I took out my
    >> multimeter and measured the +12V rail at 12.16V (reported as 5.84) and
    >> the -12V rail at -12.30V (reported as -7.55V). The BIOS reports the
    >> voltages correctly though so it's a software issue and not an onboard
    >> sensor issue.

    >You can chenche the settings of how it reads stuff. What sesors-detect
    >does is a lot of guessing. I get the following readings in gkrellm:
    >+12 = 6.32
    >-12 = -6.23

    >However I do not see those figures when I run sensors, so they come from
    >somewhere else and not lm_sensors

    gkrellm has a renormalisation of the values-- click on the temperature to
    get the config, and open the voltage list, and click on one of the
    voltages-- see on the right the Factor and Offset.
    Usually 1.0 is good for the first, but for some reason gkrellm guesses at
    other factors.

    >houghi
    >--
    > We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    > On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    >To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    > We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  17. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    On 2008-09-20, houghi wrote:
    > 2CA001 wrote:
    >> And just to close all this out, it appears that lm_sensors is not
    >> reading the voltages correctly on an Abit IP35pro as I took out my
    >> multimeter and measured the +12V rail at 12.16V (reported as 5.84) and
    >> the -12V rail at -12.30V (reported as -7.55V). The BIOS reports the
    >> voltages correctly though so it's a software issue and not an onboard
    >> sensor issue.

    > You can chenche the settings of how it reads stuff. What sesors-detect
    > does is a lot of guessing. I get the following readings in gkrellm:
    > +12 = 6.32
    > -12 = -6.23
    >
    > However I do not see those figures when I run sensors, so they come from
    > somewhere else and not lm_sensors

    Gkrellm does not give me any disk temps.

    I still get them from hddtemp.

    I don't get any voltages from anywhere.
    I don't get any fans from anywhere either.

    So there are some sensors that are not found at all and there are
    sensors that some programs find and some do not.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  18. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    Vahis wrote:
    > Gkrellm does not give me any disk temps.

    I get it from only 4 of the 6 HD drives, so it is also hardware related.

    > I still get them from hddtemp.

    I do not have that program.

    > I don't get any voltages from anywhere.
    > I don't get any fans from anywhere either.

    Fans I only get one that is connected to the motherboard. On my other
    motherboard, I only got one, not the two. Could be because I had more
    then one connected to the mobo.

    > So there are some sensors that are not found at all and there are
    > sensors that some programs find and some do not.

    It is guestimating and pretty good, I would say. Many hardwarevendors do
    strange thing and don't really bother to tell anybody.
    For that reason, you can edit `man sensors` and `man sensors.conf` for
    more information.

    I asume you have ran `lm_sensors` and `rclm_sensors restart`

    Here the complete output of sensors I get (Just want to show of that I
    am able to do `r! sensors` in vim since 10 minutes.)
    The CPU fan is actually a case fan that is connected. The CPU is cooled
    with beer (or some other yellowish fluid)

    w83627dhg-isa-0290
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    VCore: +1.11 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
    in1: +5.60 V (min = +3.38 V, max = +5.33 V) ALARM
    AVCC: +3.26 V (min = +0.53 V, max = +1.02 V) ALARM
    3VCC: +3.26 V (min = +2.10 V, max = +0.77 V) ALARM
    in4: +1.66 V (min = +1.54 V, max = +0.58 V) ALARM
    in5: +1.69 V (min = +1.22 V, max = +2.04 V)
    in6: +5.86 V (min = +0.77 V, max = +2.05 V) ALARM
    VSB: +3.26 V (min = +0.02 V, max = +0.08 V) ALARM
    VBAT: +2.98 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.02 V) ALARM
    Case Fan: 0 RPM (min = 2109 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
    CPU Fan: 1577 RPM (min = 2109 RPM, div = 8) ALARM
    Aux Fan: 0 RPM (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
    fan5: 0 RPM (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
    Sys Temp: +36.0C (high = +0.0C, hyst = +33.0C) ALARM sensor = thermistor
    CPU Temp: +36.5C (high = +80.0C, hyst = +75.0C) sensor = thermistor
    AUX Temp: +46.0C (high = +80.0C, hyst = +75.0C) sensor = thermistor
    cpu0_vid: +2.300 V

    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0: +44.0C (high = +76.0C, crit = +100.0C)

    coretemp-isa-0001
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 1: +43.0C (high = +76.0C, crit = +100.0C)

    coretemp-isa-0002
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 2: +45.0C (high = +76.0C, crit = +100.0C)

    coretemp-isa-0003
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 3: +50.0C (high = +76.0C, crit = +100.0C)

    houghi
    | Artist : Metallica
    | Song : Astronomy
    | Album : Garage Inc.

  19. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    Vahis writes:

    >On 2008-09-20, houghi wrote:
    >> 2CA001 wrote:
    >>> And just to close all this out, it appears that lm_sensors is not
    >>> reading the voltages correctly on an Abit IP35pro as I took out my
    >>> multimeter and measured the +12V rail at 12.16V (reported as 5.84) and
    >>> the -12V rail at -12.30V (reported as -7.55V). The BIOS reports the
    >>> voltages correctly though so it's a software issue and not an onboard
    >>> sensor issue.

    >> You can chenche the settings of how it reads stuff. What sesors-detect
    >> does is a lot of guessing. I get the following readings in gkrellm:
    >> +12 = 6.32
    >> -12 = -6.23
    >>
    >> However I do not see those figures when I run sensors, so they come from
    >> somewhere else and not lm_sensors
    >>

    >Gkrellm does not give me any disk temps.

    >I still get them from hddtemp.

    Then gkrellm can get them too.

    >I don't get any voltages from anywhere.
    >I don't get any fans from anywhere either.

    >So there are some sensors that are not found at all and there are
    >sensors that some programs find and some do not.

    Yes, the lmsesors people have not figured how to get any temps or fan
    speedsi (except cpu temps) on the new intel motherboards because intel has not been forthcoming
    about the how to do so.

    >--
    >Vahis
    >http://waxborg.servepics.com
    >Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    >"You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  20. Re: CPU temperature monitoring in opensuse?

    On 2008-09-21, Unruh wrote:
    > Vahis writes:

    >>Gkrellm does not give me any disk temps.

    >>I still get them from hddtemp.

    > Then gkrellm can get them too.

    The hda temp is kinda there, it's empty and no other disks can be seen
    anywhere. This is in configuration view.

    The display shows hda 0 degrees.

    >>I don't get any voltages from anywhere.
    >>I don't get any fans from anywhere either.

    >>So there are some sensors that are not found at all and there are
    >>sensors that some programs find and some do not.

    > Yes, the lmsesors people have not figured how to get any temps or fan
    > speedsi (except cpu temps) on the new intel motherboards because intel has
    > not been forthcoming about the how to do so.

    Mine here is Asus P5Q, Intel P45 chips.

    Anyway, gkrellm is nothing for me, It's whistles and bells IMHO.
    I monitor via ssh/cli normally.

    And while I'm next to the machine I'd smell the smoke