Does anybody work for Novell, or know someone who does? - Suse

This is a discussion on Does anybody work for Novell, or know someone who does? - Suse ; We purchased a SLES10 licence with basic support back in April. I need to know whether we can upgrade to standard support now, or whether I have to wait until the 12 months is up. And also whether I need ...

  1. Does anybody work for Novell, or know someone who does?

    We purchased a SLES10 licence with basic support back in April. I need
    to know whether we can upgrade to standard support now, or whether I
    have to wait until the 12 months is up. And also whether I need to
    reinstall the O/S.

    My emails to three different Novell addresses get ignored, and on the
    phones I keep getting passed to different departments who then promise
    to return my calls with a definitive answer, but never do

    Any help appreciated!

    Mark

  2. Re: Does anybody work for Novell, or know someone who does?

    Maccy wrote:
    > We purchased a SLES10 licence with basic support back in April. I need
    > to know whether we can upgrade to standard support now, or whether I
    > have to wait until the 12 months is up. And also whether I need to
    > reinstall the O/S.

    reinstall won't be needed. If there are differences in software (which I
    doubt) it will be done by just updating the system.

    > My emails to three different Novell addresses get ignored, and on the
    > phones I keep getting passed to different departments who then promise
    > to return my calls with a definitive answer, but never do

    The only people I know are from openSUSE and their information can be
    found on the website, in the mailinglists and even in the sourcecode.

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and

  3. Re: Does anybody work for Novell, or know someone who does?

    > Mark

    hi mark,

    try this:

    go to http://forums.opensuse.org/

    and click on the sign/log in up in the top right corner...
    then use the same novell ID & pass you already have (you have one,
    with your purchased sw, right?)

    after log in you should be dumped back on the 'front page', pick a
    likely forum and post there...you should get some attention..

    of course, you should also get attention via email or in the
    http://forums.novell.com/ (you have tried there, right?)

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE

  4. Re: Does anybody work for Novell, or know someone who does?

    DenverD wrote:
    >> Mark

    > hi mark,
    >
    > try this:
    >
    > go to http://forums.opensuse.org/
    >
    > and click on the sign/log in up in the top right corner...
    > then use the same novell ID & pass you already have (you have one,
    > with your purchased sw, right?)
    >
    > after log in you should be dumped back on the 'front page', pick a
    > likely forum and post there...you should get some attention..
    >
    > of course, you should also get attention via email or in the
    > http://forums.novell.com/ (you have tried there, right?)

    Hi,

    I have indeed. Unfortunately nobody can answer my query there either....

    Thanks,

    Mark

  5. Re: Does anybody work for Novell, or know someone who does?

    Maccy wrote:

    > DenverD wrote:
    >>> Mark

    >> hi mark,
    >>
    >> try this:
    >>
    >> go to http://forums.opensuse.org/
    >>
    >> and click on the sign/log in up in the top right corner...
    >> then use the same novell ID & pass you already have (you have one,
    >> with your purchased sw, right?)
    >>
    >> after log in you should be dumped back on the 'front page', pick a
    >> likely forum and post there...you should get some attention..
    >>
    >> of course, you should also get attention via email or in the
    >> http://forums.novell.com/ (you have tried there, right?)

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have indeed. Unfortunately nobody can answer my query there either....

    If this is true, I would move to a different distribution, but my short
    experience with a paid RedHat distribution were also quite bad. After a few
    tries I (re)installed opensuse on several machines. As long as you don't
    upgrade to fast and try before in a virtual environment it's fine in my
    opinion, but it depends of course what kind of software you're running and
    how fast you want support for technical issues.
    Taco

  6. Re: Does anybody work for Novell, or know someone who does?

    Maccy turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > We purchased a SLES10 licence with basic support back in April. I need
    > to know whether we can upgrade to standard support now, or whether I
    > have to wait until the 12 months is up. And also whether I need to
    > reinstall the O/S.
    >
    > My emails to three different Novell addresses get ignored, and on the
    > phones I keep getting passed to different departments who then promise
    > to return my calls with a definitive answer, but never do

    Maccy:

    I see you're probably not in the US. I have a contact, who's our sales rep,
    but he's in Los Angeles.

    shoot me an email if you still have troubles and I'll see what I can do.