Suse login - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse login - Suse ; I am running suse 10.2 and was downloading a file and run out of space on the /tmp folder. After that download failed I can not longer log in. I have moved the files from /tmp so there is room ...

  1. Suse login

    I am running suse 10.2 and was downloading a file and run out of space on
    the /tmp folder. After that download failed I can not longer log in. I
    have moved the files from /tmp so there is room now. When I login the login
    screen goes away and the X is displayed on the screen the goes blank, the
    screen blinks a couple of times then the login screen comes back on screen.
    I can login from the command line so password good also when I put the wrong
    password in it come back right away and tell me login failed. I have KDE as
    default, I think it is kde 3.?.

  2. Re: Suse login

    me wrote:

    > I am running suse 10.2 and was downloading a file and run out of space on
    > the /tmp folder. *After that download failed I can not longer log in. *I
    > have moved the files from /tmp so there is room now. *When I login the
    > login screen goes away and the X is displayed on the screen the goes
    > blank, the screen blinks a couple of times then the login screen comes
    > back on screen. I can login from the command line so password good also
    > when I put the wrong password in it come back right away and tell me login
    > failed. *I have KDE as default, I think it is kde 3.?.

    if you can log in with X to the root user

    su (for root)
    "/sbin/yast2 users"
    edit your user and save, then try to log in again.
    (or make a new user)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Suse login

    me wrote:
    > I am running suse 10.2 and was downloading a file and run out of space on
    > the /tmp folder. After that download failed I can not longer log in. I
    > have moved the files from /tmp so there is room now. When I login the login
    > screen goes away and the X is displayed on the screen the goes blank, the
    > screen blinks a couple of times then the login screen comes back on screen.
    > I can login from the command line so password good also when I put the wrong
    > password in it come back right away and tell me login failed. I have KDE as
    > default, I think it is kde 3.?.

    You probably have partial "sockets" for KDE in /tmp
    Login as root, remove (rm -rf) everything with "your owner" in the
    /tmp directory.
    Also remove .Xauthority and maybe .ICEauthority in your home dir,
    plus .xsession-errors.

    Then try to login again "full screen" and IF it doesn't work, read,
    as superuser again, the .xsession-errors to see what went wrong.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  4. Re: Suse login

    EOS wrote:
    >me wrote:

    >> I am running suse 10.2 and was downloading a file and run out of
    >> space on the /tmp folder. *After that download failed I can not
    >> longer log in. *I have moved the files from /tmp so there is room
    >> now. *When I login the login screen goes away and the X is
    >> displayed on the screen the goes blank, the screen blinks a
    >> couple of times then the login screen comes back on screen. I can
    >> login from the command line so password good also when I put the
    >> wrong password in it come back right away and tell me login
    >> failed. *I have KDE as default, I think it is kde 3.?.

    If stuff is aggregating in /tmp, then consider simply deleting files
    older than the mots-recent reboot. /tmp is for temporary files; not
    a safe place for "normal" ones.

    >if you can log in with X to the root user

    >su (for root)
    >"/sbin/yast2 users"
    >edit your user and save, then try to log in again.
    >(or make a new user)

    Looks like the KDE config got corrupted due to a temp file being too
    short. So fiddling with the user account is unproductive.

    Login at a text console and rename .kde to .kde-somethingelse

    i.e. mv .kde .kde-somethingelse

    Then try a graphical login.

    No need to root around.

    Desktop and application setup has to be re-done.
    Bright side: A fresh start! :-)

    Old emails, etc can be moved across (or copied) from the renamed
    ..kde-somethingelse tree to the .kde that gets created at login if
    not present. It'll normally be in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
    \ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Science is the belief in
    X against HTML mail | the ignorance of the experts.
    / \ and postings | -- Richard Feynman

  5. Re: Suse login

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:25:40 -0500, me typed this message:

    > I am running suse 10.2 and was downloading a file and run out of space
    > on the /tmp folder. After that download failed I can not longer log in.
    > I have moved the files from /tmp so there is room now. When I login
    > the login screen goes away and the X is displayed on the screen the goes
    > blank, the screen blinks a couple of times then the login screen comes
    > back on screen. I can login from the command line so password good also
    > when I put the wrong password in it come back right away and tell me
    > login failed. I have KDE as default, I think it is kde 3.?.

    Where did you move the files? If /tmp was full wouldn't / (root) also
    be full?

    # shutdown -Fr now

    Login as Root to the GUI to see if root can do it.

    While logged in as root ls -hal /home/userid for the user, all files and
    directories/folders should be userid:groupid except folder ..

+ Reply to Thread