instlux and opensuse 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on instlux and opensuse 11.0 - Suse ; Howdy all......:-) Would like to use instlux for a openSUSE-11.0-GNOME-LiveCD-i386 installation with Vista SP1. Any current references/tips on how to accomplish this? FWIW, I have installed instlux and tried rebooting (as per the instructions).......rebooting with the CD drive as the ...

  1. instlux and opensuse 11.0

    Howdy all......:-)

    Would like to use instlux for a openSUSE-11.0-GNOME-LiveCD-i386
    installation with Vista SP1.

    Any current references/tips on how to accomplish this?

    FWIW, I have installed instlux and tried rebooting (as per the
    instructions).......rebooting with the CD drive as the first boot device
    just brings up the standard LiveCD install screen; rebooting with my
    harddrive as the first boot device boots up Vista........

    Thanks! :-)

  2. Re: instlux and opensuse 11.0

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:45:16 +0000, propman wrote:
    > Would like to use instlux for a openSUSE-11.0-GNOME-LiveCD-i386
    > installation with Vista SP1.

    Is there a particular reason why you do not want to do the installation
    directly from the LiveCD?

    According to the web page

    QUOTE

    instlux

    openSUSE centric, instlux seems to be abandoned (or at least severely
    delayed) - stable openSUSE 10.3 installer still is not available. For
    10.3, only testing builds are available.

    UNQUOTE

  3. Re: instlux and opensuse 11.0

    J G Miller wrote in news:1221526332_129@vo.lu:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:45:16 +0000, propman wrote:
    >> Would like to use instlux for a openSUSE-11.0-GNOME-LiveCD-i386
    >> installation with Vista SP1.

    > Is there a particular reason why you do not want to do the
    > installation directly from the LiveCD?

    Non-partioning, easier appraisal....have used the Wubi install for the
    various ubuntu flavoured distros.....and yes, am aware of the various
    pro's and con's concerning this topic. :-)

    > According to the web page
    >

    > QUOTE
    >
    > instlux
    >
    > openSUSE centric, instlux seems to be abandoned (or at least
    > severely delayed) - stable openSUSE 10.3 installer still is not
    > available. For 10.3, only testing builds are available.
    >
    > UNQUOTE

    Hmmmm....thank's for bringing this to my attention.......original
    documentation I read said it shipped with 10.3. Took a quick look at
    one of the 10.3 and 11.0 repos as well as conducted a search at the
    following url but nothing showed.....

    http://packages.opensuse-community.org/

    Downloaded "instlux for OpenSuSE CDROM 6.0 January 17, 2007" from:

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=151507

    Didn't work though.....and hence my enquiry to this newsgroup.

    The same sourceforge page also mentions "instlux for OpenSuSE internet
    7.0 February 23, 2007" which seems to have worked according to
    some Google searchs, so maybe will give that a try tomorrow.

    Thanks again for the response....much appreciated. :-)

  4. Re: instlux and opensuse 11.0

    propman wrote:
    > J G Miller wrote in news:1221526332_129@vo.lu:
    >
    >> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:45:16 +0000, propman wrote:
    >>> Would like to use instlux for a openSUSE-11.0-GNOME-LiveCD-i386
    >>> installation with Vista SP1.

    >> Is there a particular reason why you do not want to do the
    >> installation directly from the LiveCD?

    > Non-partioning, easier appraisal....have used the Wubi install for the
    > various ubuntu flavoured distros.....and yes, am aware of the various
    > pro's and con's concerning this topic. :-)

    OK. I did a search on "Wubi install" and get to the following page
    http://www.howtoforge.com/wubi_ubuntu_on_windows where it says "Ubuntu
    is installed within a file in the Windows file system (a loopmounted
    partition)"

    As far as I understand this wil NOT be the case with the openSUSE
    installer from Windows. What that will do is install openSUSE from
    Windows, instead of using the standard installer.

    It will NOT install on a filessystem on Windows. It will still install
    grub. You will still need different partitions. The only difference is
    that the start of the installation is done by booting from withing
    Windows.

    So then non-partitioning is not true. There is no installtion ON
    windows, there is installation FROM wiindows. Huge difference.

    So the pro is that you have Ubuntu on a Windows partition. The con is
    that it won;t work (out of the box) with openSUSE.

    If this is a must I would install Ubuntu and then replace Ubuntu with
    openSUSE. The moment you have done that you will be the one telling us
    how it works, instead of asking. ;-)

    With diskspace what it costs and a tryout of openSUSE easily running
    inside 10GB, I would consider this a non-issue. You are just
    complicating things for yourself, even if you thing you don't.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  5. Re: instlux and opensuse 11.0

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:18:42 +0000, propman wrote:
    > Hmmmm....thank's for bringing this to my attention.......original
    > documentation I read said it shipped with 10.3. Took a quick look at
    > one of the 10.3 and 11.0 repos as well as conducted a search at the
    > following url but nothing showed.....

    It looks like the openSUSE web site is providing misinformation because
    nobody has bothered to update the web page from which I quoted.

    In fact on the discussion page for that page it states

    QUOTE
    This article is being considered for deletion for the following reason:
    no real content.
    UNQUOTE

    To which the page author replied,

    QUOTE
    - Yes, thank you for this insightful remark.
    I'll be posting the guide on how to install 10.3 using instlux from
    Windows in a few days.

    Kdupuy9 18:06, 25 December 2007 (UTC)
    UNQUOTE

    I guess Kdupuy9 had more important things to do ...

    The former home of instlux is at

    which has a big box inviting one to download instlux v7.0 for openSUSE.

    Then on the news page it states

    QUOTE

    instlux became part of the openSUSE project with the 10.3 public
    release of openSUSE. The instlux project will no longer be mantained
    here, but at the openSUSE community, which is a big community and I am
    very proud of contributing the project to it.

    So, from now on:

    UNQUOTE

    (which actually points back to the SourceForge instlux svn repository
    for downloading instlux, so you may feel that one is going around
    in circles.)

    But that openSUSE web page does not provide any information about how to
    proceed installing with instlux, but rather prefers to detail how one
    would compile and install instlux its-self.

    It does provide a reference to an old web page which you may find of some
    help though

    It would appear that openSUSE needs to update and better organize their
    information pages on this topic.

  6. Re: instlux and opensuse 11.0

    J G Miller wrote:
    > It looks like the openSUSE web site is providing misinformation because
    > nobody has bothered to update the web page from which I quoted.

    So you have now updated the information? It is a wiki, so anybody can do
    it. ;-)

    Obviously if everybody waits for somebody else, nothing will happen. So
    blame those who have the correct information, see the wrong information
    and decide not to do anything about it.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  7. Re: instlux and opensuse 11.0

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:47:14 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > It is a wiki, so anybody can do it. ;-)

    Not quite -- you have to become a registered user before
    you are permitted to edit the page.

    > Obviously if everybody waits for somebody else, nothing will happen.

    You are forgetting that the responsibility here lies with the person who
    registered and originally authored the page.

  8. Re: instlux and opensuse 11.0

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:47:14 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >> It is a wiki, so anybody can do it. ;-)

    > Not quite -- you have to become a registered user before
    > you are permitted to edit the page.

    Everybody can become a registerd users, ergo everybody can change the
    wiki.

    >> Obviously if everybody waits for somebody else, nothing will happen.

    > You are forgetting that the responsibility here lies with the person who
    > registered and originally authored the page.

    No, it doesn't.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

+ Reply to Thread