Internet Explorer not supported (on my site) - Suse

This is a discussion on Internet Explorer not supported (on my site) - Suse ; Does anybody have a solution or a good place to look for one? I installed WordPress and got it more or less working on my site. I'm almost cool with it but I'm having problems with IE6 (haven't tried IE7) ...

  1. Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Does anybody have a solution or a good place to look for one?

    I installed WordPress and got it more or less working on my site.

    I'm almost cool with it but I'm having problems with IE6
    (haven't tried IE7) there.
    The layout gets all weird when IE is used to browse there:

    http://waxborg.servepics.com

    Sorry for putting this question here although it's not openSUSE related.
    The reason is that this is the group I'm used to follow and I really don't
    know where else to go with this at this stage.

    Any pointers would be highly appreciated
    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  2. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Vahis wrote:
    > Sorry for putting this question here although it's not openSUSE related.
    > The reason is that this is the group I'm used to follow and I really don't
    > know where else to go with this at this stage.
    >
    > Any pointers would be highly appreciated

    I use newsgroups for webdesign that are mainly Dutch, so I doubt they
    are usefull to you, although in be.comp.internet.design the standard
    accepted languages are Dutch, French, German and English. The group is
    mostly Dutch however.

    Perhaps there are also Swedish or Finnish groups that do the same. The
    reason I go for a language groups is that they are lower intraffic.

    Without looking at the problem, I would say it will most likely be a CSS
    issue.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  3. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    On 2008-09-14, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> Sorry for putting this question here although it's not openSUSE related.
    >> The reason is that this is the group I'm used to follow and I really don't
    >> know where else to go with this at this stage.
    >>
    >> Any pointers would be highly appreciated

    > I use newsgroups for webdesign that are mainly Dutch, so I doubt they
    > are usefull to you, although in be.comp.internet.design the standard
    > accepted languages are Dutch, French, German and English. The group is
    > mostly Dutch however.
    >
    > Perhaps there are also Swedish or Finnish groups that do the same. The
    > reason I go for a language groups is that they are lower intraffic.
    >
    > Without looking at the problem, I would say it will most likely be a CSS
    > issue.

    I'm sure it can be worked around with proper CSS.

    OTOH 54 other browsers show the page correctly, so I'll just drop IE6
    support

    Here's a cool site to test your pages:
    http://browsershots.org

    They will render a given page with all selected browsers and make
    screenshots to view and download

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  4. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Vahis wrote:

    > Does anybody have a solution or a good place to look for one?
    >
    > I installed WordPress and got it more or less working on my site.
    >
    > I'm almost cool with it but I'm having problems with IE6
    > (haven't tried IE7) there.
    > The layout gets all weird when IE is used to browse there:
    >
    > http://waxborg.servepics.com
    >
    > Sorry for putting this question here although it's not openSUSE related.
    > The reason is that this is the group I'm used to follow and I really don't
    > know where else to go with this at this stage.
    >
    > Any pointers would be highly appreciated

    XP + IE 7 look fine.
    XP + FF look the same.

  5. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Vahis wrote:
    > OTOH 54 other browsers show the page correctly, so I'll just drop IE6
    > support

    That is what happens at our comany. They just drop the support.
    Unfortunatly what it means is that they only suport one browser. Also
    unfortunatly is that we are also forced to use a website for an external
    company who did the same, but with a different browser.

    Oh and then there is the fact that we have two intranets, who have
    differnt rules and one can not see the other.

    So at any given moment, I have three different browsers open. IE6, IE7
    and Firefox.

    > Here's a cool site to test your pages:
    > http://browsershots.org
    >
    > They will render a given page with all selected browsers and make
    > screenshots to view and download

    Nice. When you look at my page, just do Firefox 3, IE7 and Safari.
    The first ishow I see it, the second has the title wrong just below the
    logo, the third is how people see it when they have a screen that is
    much larger
    http://browsershots.org/http://houghi.org/ (for another 30 minutes)

    These are all css things that could be solved by hacking the css file.
    Well, though ****. It is MY site and *I* do what *I* like to do with it.
    :-D

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  6. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    On 2008-09-14, Pete Puma wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> Does anybody have a solution or a good place to look for one?
    >>
    >> I installed WordPress and got it more or less working on my site.
    >>
    >> I'm almost cool with it but I'm having problems with IE6
    >> (haven't tried IE7) there.
    >> The layout gets all weird when IE is used to browse there:
    >>
    >> http://waxborg.servepics.com
    >>
    >> Sorry for putting this question here although it's not openSUSE related.
    >> The reason is that this is the group I'm used to follow and I really don't
    >> know where else to go with this at this stage.
    >>
    >> Any pointers would be highly appreciated

    > XP + IE 7 look fine.
    > XP + FF look the same.

    I know. I can just forget about IE < 7.
    54 other browsers in different OS:s did a good job at my site, too.

    But also IE8 has its shortcomings, so I see trouble coming.

    It won't show the color chooser right.

    Why always MS? Why don't their browsers render the pages correctly?
    Why OTOH some pages require MS-browsers in order to render correctly?

    I'm too old for this ****.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  7. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    On 2008-09-14, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> OTOH 54 other browsers show the page correctly, so I'll just drop IE6
    >> support

    > That is what happens at our comany. They just drop the support.

    Am I good to apply for a job there?
    I just gave a rat's ass to IE

    > Unfortunatly what it means is that they only suport one browser.

    It seems that I'm supporting almost all the rest of them.
    I was relieved to see that Google Chrome works well.
    I'm sure that since everybody is already using Goggles, even us with this
    strange nerd-OS, people will be using Chrome a lot in the near future.

    No probs with that, it's a nice browser.
    It seems that I'm going to have to install also IE8 to investigate.

    > Also
    > unfortunatly is that we are also forced to use a website for an external
    > company who did the same, but with a different browser.
    >
    > Oh and then there is the fact that we have two intranets, who have
    > differnt rules and one can not see the other.
    >
    > So at any given moment, I have three different browsers open. IE6, IE7
    > and Firefox.

    I'm having Firefoxes and IE:s in w2k and XPee, Chrome in XPee,
    Firefoxes, Seamonkey and Konqueror in Linux. And like I said, IE8 needs
    to be installed.

    >> Here's a cool site to test your pages:
    >> http://browsershots.org
    >>
    >> They will render a given page with all selected browsers and make
    >> screenshots to view and download

    The problem there is that you may only request once/site/day without
    having an account. So one needs more browsers locally to keep up with
    testing.

    > Nice. When you look at my page, just do Firefox 3, IE7 and Safari.

    I did Chrome there, too

    > The first ishow I see it, the second has the title wrong just below the
    > logo, the third is how people see it when they have a screen that is
    > much larger
    > http://browsershots.org/http://houghi.org/ (for another 30 minutes)
    >
    > These are all css things that could be solved by hacking the css file.

    I guess. I've tried that but it's not easy without "speaking" CSS
    fluently. And without knowing what exctly happens in IE.

    Your link http://houghi.org/suse_upgrade does not work...

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  8. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Vahis wrote:
    >> So at any given moment, I have three different browsers open. IE6, IE7
    >> and Firefox.

    > I'm having Firefoxes and IE:s in w2k and XPee, Chrome in XPee,
    > Firefoxes, Seamonkey and Konqueror in Linux. And like I said, IE8 needs
    > to be installed.

    The difference is that you want to use them and I am forced to use them.

    >> Well, though ****. It is MY site and *I* do what *I* like to do with it.

    > Your link http://houghi.org/suse_upgrade does not work...

    Well, though ****. It is MY site and *I* do what *I* like to do with it.
    (You must know I was going to say that. :-D )

    There are many more things not working. The site was just a sort of
    proof of concept.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  9. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    On 2008-09-14, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >>> So at any given moment, I have three different browsers open. IE6, IE7
    >>> and Firefox.

    >> I'm having Firefoxes and IE:s in w2k and XPee, Chrome in XPee,
    >> Firefoxes, Seamonkey and Konqueror in Linux. And like I said, IE8 needs
    >> to be installed.

    > The difference is that you want to use them and I am forced to use them.

    Kinda. I can do my own browsing just fine with just one or two
    (Firefox and Konqueror).

    The rest is needed if I want to maintain the site.
    So it's like I'm doing something voluntarily, which then forces me to .

    >>> Well, though ****. It is MY site and *I* do what *I* like to do with it.

    >> Your link http://houghi.org/suse_upgrade does not work...

    > Well, though ****. It is MY site and *I* do what *I* like to do with it.
    > (You must know I was going to say that. :-D )

    I saw that one coming for sure

    > There are many more things not working. The site was just a sort of
    > proof of concept.

    Mine proves something, too:
    One can maintain a site for three years without learning much
    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  10. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-09-14, Pete Puma wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anybody have a solution or a good place to look for one?
    >>>
    >>> I installed WordPress and got it more or less working on my site.
    >>>
    >>> I'm almost cool with it but I'm having problems with IE6
    >>> (haven't tried IE7) there.
    >>> The layout gets all weird when IE is used to browse there:
    >>>
    >>> http://waxborg.servepics.com
    >>>
    >>> Sorry for putting this question here although it's not openSUSE related.
    >>> The reason is that this is the group I'm used to follow and I really don't
    >>> know where else to go with this at this stage.
    >>>
    >>> Any pointers would be highly appreciated

    >> XP + IE 7 look fine.
    >> XP + FF look the same.

    > I know. I can just forget about IE < 7.
    > 54 other browsers in different OS:s did a good job at my site, too.
    >
    > But also IE8 has its shortcomings, so I see trouble coming.
    >
    > It won't show the color chooser right.
    >
    > Why always MS? Why don't their browsers render the pages correctly?
    > Why OTOH some pages require MS-browsers in order to render correctly?
    >
    > I'm too old for this ****.

    FWIW: It looks the same on FF2, FF3, IE6 and Opera on Win2K.
    And also FF2, FF3 and Konqueror on Linux (Slackware-current).
    The color chooser will not work with scripts disabled (NoScript on FF),
    which may be a default setting on IE8, I don't know.

    Michel

  11. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Vahis wrote:
    > Does anybody have a solution or a good place to look for one?
    >
    > I installed WordPress and got it more or less working on my site.
    >
    > I'm almost cool with it but I'm having problems with IE6
    > (haven't tried IE7) there.
    > The layout gets all weird when IE is used to browse there:
    >
    > http://waxborg.servepics.com
    >
    > Sorry for putting this question here although it's not openSUSE related.
    > The reason is that this is the group I'm used to follow and I really don't
    > know where else to go with this at this stage.
    >
    > Any pointers would be highly appreciated

    You might try the wine news group - comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

  12. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    On 2008-09-14, dillinger wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:

    >>> XP + IE 7 look fine.
    >>> XP + FF look the same.

    >> I know. I can just forget about IE < 7.
    >> 54 other browsers in different OS:s did a good job at my site, too.
    >>
    >> But also IE8 has its shortcomings, so I see trouble coming.
    >>
    >> It won't show the color chooser right.
    >>
    >> Why always MS? Why don't their browsers render the pages correctly?
    >> Why OTOH some pages require MS-browsers in order to render correctly?
    >>

    > FWIW: It looks the same on FF2, FF3, IE6 and Opera on Win2K.

    That's strange. IE6 (and5.5) has been different in all tests.
    Here anything below IE7 did not render correctly.

    http://www.browsershots.org/

    > And also FF2, FF3 and Konqueror on Linux (Slackware-current).

    That's normal

    > The color chooser will not work with scripts disabled (NoScript on FF),
    > which may be a default setting on IE8, I don't know.

    OK. I have no idea of IE8 either. They had some options to choose at the
    testsite, I'll see if they have that option. I can do that today, it's
    one per day without an account there.

    I'm also cool with Google Chrome which is reassuring

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  13. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Vahis wrote:

    snip

    >> FWIW: It looks the same on FF2, FF3, IE6 and Opera on Win2K.

    > That's strange. IE6 (and5.5) has been different in all tests.
    > Here anything below IE7 did not render correctly.
    >
    > http://www.browsershots.org/
    >
    >> And also FF2, FF3 and Konqueror on Linux (Slackware-current).

    > That's normal
    >
    >> The color chooser will not work with scripts disabled (NoScript on FF),
    >> which may be a default setting on IE8, I don't know.

    > OK. I have no idea of IE8 either. They had some options to choose at the
    > testsite, I'll see if they have that option. I can do that today, it's
    > one per day without an account there.
    >
    > I'm also cool with Google Chrome which is reassuring

    I wouldn't trust browsershots to fully represent what you want to see,
    a lot of the used browsers (factories) are not quite up to date.
    Also, I don't know what the impact is of running things on VMWARE.
    Over here IE6 on win2k looks fine, IE6 on wine gives your error.

  14. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    dillinger wrote:
    > I wouldn't trust browsershots to fully represent what you want to see,
    > a lot of the used browsers (factories) are not quite up to date.

    I would say that that fact represents what most people will see as they
    won't update their browser due to different reasons.

    Why can't nobody make a browser that just followes the rules and why
    don't all of them do so?

    It is this reason that drivers website makers to flash. Because then it
    looks all the same in one go.

    Having different css files, with each their own hack, is absurd.
    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  15. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    houghi wrote:
    > dillinger wrote:
    >> I wouldn't trust browsershots to fully represent what you want to see,
    >> a lot of the used browsers (factories) are not quite up to date.

    > I would say that that fact represents what most people will see as they
    > won't update their browser due to different reasons.
    >
    > Why can't nobody make a browser that just followes the rules and why
    > don't all of them do so?
    >
    > It is this reason that drivers website makers to flash. Because then it
    > looks all the same in one go.
    >
    > Having different css files, with each their own hack, is absurd.

    You're right of course.
    In a way, browsershots may even represent the real world.
    But then again, I couldn't care less what my site would have looked like
    on a fresh win2k install in 1999, but I do care what it looks like on an
    updated ie6 on win2k now.
    The same goes for other browsers/versions.
    Unfortunately browsershots doesn't offer much choice here, if any.

  16. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    On 2008-09-15, houghi wrote:
    > dillinger wrote:
    >> I wouldn't trust browsershots to fully represent what you want to see,
    >> a lot of the used browsers (factories) are not quite up to date.

    > I would say that that fact represents what most people will see as they
    > won't update their browser due to different reasons.
    >
    > Why can't nobody make a browser that just followes the rules and why
    > don't all of them do so?

    If like 54 browser are showing everything the same way and three
    different IE:s are all different to all the others and also different to
    each other, I'd say IE sucks.

    > It is this reason that drivers website makers to flash. Because then it
    > looks all the same in one go.
    >
    > Having different css files, with each their own hack, is absurd.

    It souds that to me, too. Also php like:

    For some reason MS does not want to make their browsers work.
    Or maybe they don't know how, but I doubt that.

    How come Google made the Chrome work from day one?

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  17. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Ysgrifennodd Vahis:

    > Any pointers would be highly appreciated

    I'm not familiar with WordPress so if what follows is junk, please
    ignore me.

    This mailing list is the best for all things layout-related IMHO:

    css-d@lists.css-discuss.org

    On a quick look at your page, I'd say that IE6 doesn't believe there's
    enough room for it to put in the content against the float, so it puts
    it (quite rightly) after the float. If you could make the sidebar a
    couple of pixels narrower, perhaps, or the content column a few pixels
    narrower?

    Again, sorry if this is of no use to you ... but I would try the css
    mailing list. It is very good.

    Cheers

    Peter

  18. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    Vahis wrote:
    >> Why can't nobody make a browser that just followes the rules and why
    >> don't all of them do so?

    > If like 54 browser are showing everything the same way and three
    > different IE:s are all different to all the others and also different to
    > each other, I'd say IE sucks.

    It just suck more then others.

    >> Having different css files, with each their own hack, is absurd.

    > It souds that to me, too. Also php like:
    >

    > For some reason MS does not want to make their browsers work.
    > Or maybe they don't know how, but I doubt that.

    If you are seriously css hacking, you will notice that (almost) no
    browser follows the rules. One is better then the other, but they all
    fail.

    > How come Google made the Chrome work from day one?

    Wether it works or not I do not know. Just because it shows YOUR pages
    (and even everybody elses) pages correctly does not mean that it wors or
    even does things correctly.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  19. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    dillinger wrote:
    > You're right of course.
    > In a way, browsershots may even represent the real world.

    Unfortunatly it does.

    > But then again, I couldn't care less what my site would have looked like
    > on a fresh win2k install in 1999, but I do care what it looks like on an
    > updated ie6 on win2k now.

    I couldn't care less on how it looks on anything but Firefox. If it
    looks like crap on anything else (regardless of OS) I do not care.

    > The same goes for other browsers/versions.
    > Unfortunately browsershots doesn't offer much choice here, if any.

    The difference is that we apparently make sites for ourselves. The
    moment you are interested that other people look at your site, then you
    better be aware of how THEY see it, noy how YOU see it.

    Then you be sure it looks as good as it does with any browser. Otherwise
    you are just like those people who say: well it runs with my version of
    IE and I do not care that your OS doesn't have IE.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
    imagination. Next stop, Usenet!

  20. Re: Internet Explorer not supported (on my site)

    On 2008-09-15, Peter Bradley wrote:
    > Ysgrifennodd Vahis:
    >>
    >> Any pointers would be highly appreciated

    > I'm not familiar with WordPress so if what follows is junk, please
    > ignore me.
    >
    > This mailing list is the best for all things layout-related IMHO:
    >
    > css-d@lists.css-discuss.org

    Thanks a lot, I'll see that, especially soon enough when I have the
    _next_ problem, namely:

    > On a quick look at your page, I'd say that IE6 doesn't believe there's
    > enough room for it to put in the content against the float, so it puts
    > it (quite rightly) after the float. If you could make the sidebar a
    > couple of pixels narrower, perhaps, or the content column a few pixels
    > narrower?

    You got it! I replaced the original "width 800 px" to 805 px wherever
    I could find it. Now it seems to work

    That was cool. How come that occurred only in one of the language
    options?

    I also looked at the site of the author of the theme and it behaves the
    same way with IE6.

    > Again, sorry if this is of no use to you ... but I would try the css
    > mailing list. It is very good.

    Thanks a lot for your help

    If it's OK with you I'll explain this on my site with credits to you
    as I've already been wondering about this there?

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

+ Reply to Thread