Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11 - Suse

This is a discussion on Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11 - Suse ; I have been trying to get Sun's Virtualbox running on my openSUSE 11 with KDE 3.5 laptop. I had installed the 10.3 version but couldn't get it running. I saw that Sun had a version for 11.0 so I downloaded ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

  1. Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

    I have been trying to get Sun's Virtualbox running on my openSUSE 11
    with KDE 3.5 laptop. I had installed the 10.3 version but couldn't get
    it running. I saw that Sun had a version for 11.0 so I downloaded it. I
    uninstalled the 10.3 version, installed the 11.0 version, and ran
    "vboxdrv setup".

    Now Virtualbox will not open at all. If I try to start it from the
    desktop I just get little bouncing Icon for awhile. If I try to start if
    from the shell I get:

    hobbs:/home/russell # VirtualBox
    VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain:
    dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed:
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so: undefined symbol: _ZN7QRegionpLERK5QRect

    I can't find anything in the log files that points to a problem.

    Any ideas on why this is not working?

    Thanks,

    Russell

  2. Re: Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

    Russell D. wrote:

    [installing virtualbox]

    Please read http://en.opensuse.org/Virtualbox

  3. Re: Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

    Andreas Stieger wrote:
    > Russell D. wrote:
    >
    > [installing virtualbox]
    >
    > Please read http://en.opensuse.org/Virtualbox


    Well, that gave me a glimmer of hope. It reads:


    Installation from VirtualBox home page (OSE and non-OSE)

    Since VirtualBox is acquired by SUN, the download page of VirtualBox
    will redirect to a download page from SUN. From this download site a
    package or the source code for the latest version of VirtualBox for
    openSUSE and SLED can be downloaded.


    Prerequisites for VirtualBox downloads

    Whether you use binaries or installing from source you have to install
    the following packages first:

    * kernel-source
    * kernel-syms
    * Xalan-c
    * Xerces-c


    Installing VirtualBox from Binary (non-OSE only)

    Simply download the package from the download page of VirtualBox and
    install it. See Package Management for more information about installing
    software under openSUSE.

    When everything goes well, VirtualBox should be installed in the /opt
    directory.

    Next, create the required kernel module by executing the command:

    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup


    I was missing kernel-syms, Xalan-c, Xerces-c. (Why did it even install
    with those missing?) So I uninstalled Virtualbox, installed the three
    missing pieces reinstalled Virtualbox and ran:

    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

    Still no go. Same error when trying to start Virtualbox. The version of
    Virtualbox that I had installed was 2.0.0. I learned that there was a
    newer version available so I downloaded version 2.0.2, uninstalled
    version 2.0.0 and installed 2.0.2. Still no go. Same error.

    BTW, Virtualbox does not install into /opt as stated in the
    instructions--it installs into /usr/lib/virtualbox. Not sure if that
    makes any difference.

    HELP!

    Thanks,

    Russell




  4. Re: Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

    Russell D. wrote:

    > I have been trying to get Sun's Virtualbox running on my openSUSE 11
    > with KDE 3.5 laptop. I had installed the 10.3 version but couldn't get
    > it running. I saw that Sun had a version for 11.0 so I downloaded it. I
    > uninstalled the 10.3 version, installed the 11.0 version, and ran
    > "vboxdrv setup".
    >
    > Now Virtualbox will not open at all. If I try to start it from the
    > desktop I just get little bouncing Icon for awhile. If I try to start if
    > from the shell I get:
    >
    > hobbs:/home/russell # VirtualBox
    > VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain:
    > dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed:
    > /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so: undefined symbol:
    > _ZN7QRegionpLERK5QRect
    >
    > I can't find anything in the log files that points to a problem.
    >
    > Any ideas on why this is not working?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Russell


    I have had the Sun VirtualBox 10.3 version running on my P4 32 bit system
    with no problems. I needed usb support, which the ose version on SUSE dvd
    does not have. Last week I upgraded to VirtualBox 2.0 and the 11 version.
    I'm now running the 2.02 version. Only problem I have is my printer is not
    seen but I forgot to change fstab as mentioned in the manual and also need
    to remember to mount usbfs before startind Vbox.

    Be sure you meet all the dependencies mentioned in the manual. My VM is
    Windows XP, Host opensuse 11.0, KDE 3.5.9


    --
    Russ
    Linux register user 441463


    ----== Posted via Pronews.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  5. Re: Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

    Russell D. wrote:

    > Andreas Stieger wrote:
    >> Russell D. wrote:
    >>
    >> [installing virtualbox]
    >>
    >> Please read http://en.opensuse.org/Virtualbox

    >
    > Well, that gave me a glimmer of hope. It reads:
    >
    >
    > Installation from VirtualBox home page (OSE and non-OSE)
    >
    > Since VirtualBox is acquired by SUN, the download page of VirtualBox
    > will redirect to a download page from SUN. From this download site a
    > package or the source code for the latest version of VirtualBox for
    > openSUSE and SLED can be downloaded.
    >
    >
    > Prerequisites for VirtualBox downloads
    >
    > Whether you use binaries or installing from source you have to install
    > the following packages first:
    >
    > * kernel-source
    > * kernel-syms
    > * Xalan-c
    > * Xerces-c
    >
    >
    > Installing VirtualBox from Binary (non-OSE only)
    >
    > Simply download the package from the download page of VirtualBox and
    > install it. See Package Management for more information about installing
    > software under openSUSE.
    >
    > When everything goes well, VirtualBox should be installed in the /opt
    > directory.
    >
    > Next, create the required kernel module by executing the command:
    >
    > /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    >
    >
    > I was missing kernel-syms, Xalan-c, Xerces-c. (Why did it even install
    > with those missing?) So I uninstalled Virtualbox, installed the three
    > missing pieces reinstalled Virtualbox and ran:
    >
    > /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    >
    > Still no go. Same error when trying to start Virtualbox. The version of
    > Virtualbox that I had installed was 2.0.0. I learned that there was a
    > newer version available so I downloaded version 2.0.2, uninstalled
    > version 2.0.0 and installed 2.0.2. Still no go. Same error.
    >
    > BTW, Virtualbox does not install into /opt as stated in the
    > instructions--it installs into /usr/lib/virtualbox. Not sure if that
    > makes any difference.
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Russell


    have you add your self to vboxusers in users and groups

  6. Re: Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

    darklight wrote:
    > Russell D. wrote:
    >
    >> Andreas Stieger wrote:
    >>> Russell D. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [installing virtualbox]
    >>>
    >>> Please read http://en.opensuse.org/Virtualbox

    >> Well, that gave me a glimmer of hope. It reads:
    >>
    >>
    >> Installation from VirtualBox home page (OSE and non-OSE)
    >>
    >> Since VirtualBox is acquired by SUN, the download page of VirtualBox
    >> will redirect to a download page from SUN. From this download site a
    >> package or the source code for the latest version of VirtualBox for
    >> openSUSE and SLED can be downloaded.
    >>
    >>
    >> Prerequisites for VirtualBox downloads
    >>
    >> Whether you use binaries or installing from source you have to install
    >> the following packages first:
    >>
    >> * kernel-source
    >> * kernel-syms
    >> * Xalan-c
    >> * Xerces-c
    >>
    >>
    >> Installing VirtualBox from Binary (non-OSE only)
    >>
    >> Simply download the package from the download page of VirtualBox and
    >> install it. See Package Management for more information about installing
    >> software under openSUSE.
    >>
    >> When everything goes well, VirtualBox should be installed in the /opt
    >> directory.
    >>
    >> Next, create the required kernel module by executing the command:
    >>
    >> /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    >>
    >>
    >> I was missing kernel-syms, Xalan-c, Xerces-c. (Why did it even install
    >> with those missing?) So I uninstalled Virtualbox, installed the three
    >> missing pieces reinstalled Virtualbox and ran:
    >>
    >> /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    >>
    >> Still no go. Same error when trying to start Virtualbox. The version of
    >> Virtualbox that I had installed was 2.0.0. I learned that there was a
    >> newer version available so I downloaded version 2.0.2, uninstalled
    >> version 2.0.0 and installed 2.0.2. Still no go. Same error.
    >>
    >> BTW, Virtualbox does not install into /opt as stated in the
    >> instructions--it installs into /usr/lib/virtualbox. Not sure if that
    >> makes any difference.
    >>
    >> HELP!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Russell

    >
    > have you add your self to vboxusers in users and groups


    Yes, that was done.

  7. Re: Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

    Russell D. wrote:

    > darklight wrote:
    >> Russell D. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Andreas Stieger wrote:
    >>>> Russell D. wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> [installing virtualbox]
    >>>>
    >>>> Please read http://en.opensuse.org/Virtualbox
    >>> Well, that gave me a glimmer of hope. It reads:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Installation from VirtualBox home page (OSE and non-OSE)
    >>>
    >>> Since VirtualBox is acquired by SUN, the download page of VirtualBox
    >>> will redirect to a download page from SUN. From this download site a
    >>> package or the source code for the latest version of VirtualBox for
    >>> openSUSE and SLED can be downloaded.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Prerequisites for VirtualBox downloads
    >>>
    >>> Whether you use binaries or installing from source you have to install
    >>> the following packages first:
    >>>
    >>> * kernel-source
    >>> * kernel-syms
    >>> * Xalan-c
    >>> * Xerces-c
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Installing VirtualBox from Binary (non-OSE only)
    >>>
    >>> Simply download the package from the download page of VirtualBox and
    >>> install it. See Package Management for more information about installing
    >>> software under openSUSE.
    >>>
    >>> When everything goes well, VirtualBox should be installed in the /opt
    >>> directory.
    >>>
    >>> Next, create the required kernel module by executing the command:
    >>>
    >>> /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I was missing kernel-syms, Xalan-c, Xerces-c. (Why did it even install
    >>> with those missing?) So I uninstalled Virtualbox, installed the three
    >>> missing pieces reinstalled Virtualbox and ran:
    >>>
    >>> /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    >>>
    >>> Still no go. Same error when trying to start Virtualbox. The version of
    >>> Virtualbox that I had installed was 2.0.0. I learned that there was a
    >>> newer version available so I downloaded version 2.0.2, uninstalled
    >>> version 2.0.0 and installed 2.0.2. Still no go. Same error.
    >>>
    >>> BTW, Virtualbox does not install into /opt as stated in the
    >>> instructions--it installs into /usr/lib/virtualbox. Not sure if that
    >>> makes any difference.
    >>>
    >>> HELP!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Russell

    >>
    >> have you add your self to vboxusers in users and groups

    >
    > Yes, that was done.



    it could be the version of opensuse you have running i have virtualbox
    running on opensuse 10.3 without any problems.

    the version of virtualbox i am running is
    VirtualBox-2.0.0_36011_openSUSE103-1.i586.rpm

    i always thought opensuse 11 would cause problems thats why i never upgraded
    to cutting edge for me.

  8. Re: Sun Virtualbox on openSUSE 11

    darklight turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    >
    > it could be the version of opensuse you have running i have virtualbox
    > running on opensuse 10.3 without any problems.
    >
    > the version of virtualbox i am running is
    > VirtualBox-2.0.0_36011_openSUSE103-1.i586.rpm
    >
    > i always thought opensuse 11 would cause problems thats why i never
    > upgraded to cutting edge for me.


    I think I read about issues with VB and openSUSE 11.0 on the mailing list.

    I have 10.3, with the Sun Virtual box running Vista and no issues. It
    installed and loaded without a problem.


    --
    www.perfectreign.com || www.filesite.org

    powered by the lizard: www.opensuse.org

+ Reply to Thread