Any 3d demo out there? - Suse

This is a discussion on Any 3d demo out there? - Suse ; I would like to show people some nice 3D stuff. However there are some things thatI put onto myself to make it not as easy as one would like to think. (All my fault, I won't change it) 1) No ...

  1. Any 3d demo out there?

    I would like to show people some nice 3D stuff. However there are some
    things thatI put onto myself to make it not as easy as one would like to
    think. (All my fault, I won't change it)

    1) No 3D desktop stuff. It wants me to break my screens and pull out my
    eyes.
    2) No games that you need to play. I am such a lousy player that I can
    not even win when playing Quake with all cheats on

    Ideal would be some sort of demo. None of the games I have tried gave a
    demo where you could just sit back and do nothing.

    I am not even sure if such a thing exists. Anybody an idea?

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  2. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:06:26 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > I am not even sure if such a thing exists.

    Please be more precise as the level of your uncertainty.

    How about this 3d demonstration program?

    qliss3d - demonstration tool for Lissajous figures

    Qliss3d is a tool that generates various Lissajous figures. It is
    possible to rotate the figures and zoom into them. Also
    changing the frequency and replay of the sinus sounds by the same
    frequency rate are implemented.

    In mathematics, a Lissajous curve (Lissajous figure or Bowditch curve) is
    the graph of the system of parametric equations
    which describes complex harmonic motion. This family of curves was
    investigated by Nathaniel Bowditch in 1815, and later in
    more detail by Jules Antoine Lissajous. Lissajous curves can be traced
    mechanically by means of a harmonograph.

    Homepage:

    OR how about this 3d map client?

    earth3d - Map client displaying a 3D model of the world

    The map data is fetched from a server on the net, and the client will
    display recent satellite images and map data.

    Homepage:

  3. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Or for something even more simpler, how about the 3D glx screensavers

    OpenSUSE -- xscreensaver-rss-glx (0.8.1)

    PackMan -- rss-glx (0.8.2)

    Name rss-glx
    Summary Collection of OpenGL Screensavers

    Description
    The Really Slick ScreenSavers GLX Port is a port of some nifty OpenGL
    screensavers that were originally written for Windows to GLX. It is
    intended for use with an existing screensaver daemon like xscreensaver.

  4. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    houghi wrote:
    > I would like to show people some nice 3D stuff. However there are some
    > things thatI put onto myself to make it not as easy as one would like to
    > think. (All my fault, I won't change it)
    >
    > 1) No 3D desktop stuff. It wants me to break my screens and pull out my
    > eyes.
    > 2) No games that you need to play. I am such a lousy player that I can
    > not even win when playing Quake with all cheats on
    >
    > Ideal would be some sort of demo. None of the games I have tried gave a
    > demo where you could just sit back and do nothing.
    >
    > I am not even sure if such a thing exists. Anybody an idea?

    It exists. Since over 20 years even

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene

    Just follow the links. Some groups offer the demos as Linux versions
    too. Note that you need a monster machine (those with the 300€ CPU and
    800€ graphics cards) to run the recent demos. So better look up those
    made 4 years back.

  5. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene
    >
    > Just follow the links. Some groups offer the demos as Linux versions
    > too. Note that you need a monster machine (those with the 300€ CPU and
    > 800€ graphics cards) to run the recent demos. So better look up those
    > made 4 years back.

    Looking for some 30 minutes and apparently the Linux demo's are very
    well hidden, because I am unable to find them. :-(

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  6. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    J G Miller wrote:
    > How about this 3d demonstration program?
    >
    > qliss3d - demonstration tool for Lissajous figures

    Screenshots are showing some extremely basic stuff. Compiling and
    installing the rpm gave lots of errors. :-(

    > OR how about this 3d map client?
    >
    > earth3d - Map client displaying a 3D model of the world

    Hey, I can see my house from up here/ :-D

    Nice. Not what I had in mind, but nice.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  7. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene
    >>
    >> Just follow the links. Some groups offer the demos as Linux versions
    >> too. Note that you need a monster machine (those with the 300€ CPU and
    >> 800€ graphics cards) to run the recent demos. So better look up those
    >> made 4 years back.

    > Looking for some 30 minutes and apparently the Linux demo's are very
    > well hidden, because I am unable to find them. :-(

    http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php

    Select "Linux" as platform and various other things in "type".
    Hopefully, the Wikipedia article explained what those "types" are.

  8. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Looking for some 30 minutes and apparently the Linux demo's are very
    >> well hidden, because I am unable to find them. :-(

    > http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php

    Thanks.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  9. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    bzflag is an opensource 3D game, which you can select (just before
    entry) to a team *or* as observer..

    as long as you don't pick a player name already registered you don't
    even have to have a password.....ie, don't use DenverD :-)

    evening hours in a 'low country' would be a good time to catch
    players at any of many free entry servers..

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  10. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    houghi wrote:
    > I would like to show people some nice 3D stuff. However there are some
    > things thatI put onto myself to make it not as easy as one would like to
    > think. (All my fault, I won't change it)
    >
    > 1) No 3D desktop stuff. It wants me to break my screens and pull out my
    > eyes.
    > 2) No games that you need to play. I am such a lousy player that I can
    > not even win when playing Quake with all cheats on
    >
    > Ideal would be some sort of demo. None of the games I have tried gave a
    > demo where you could just sit back and do nothing.
    >
    > I am not even sure if such a thing exists. Anybody an idea?
    >
    > houghi

    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

  11. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Hi there,

    houghi wrote:
    > I would like to show people some nice 3D stuff. However there are some
    > things thatI put onto myself to make it not as easy as one would like to
    > think. (All my fault, I won't change it)
    >
    > 1) No 3D desktop stuff. It wants me to break my screens and pull out my
    > eyes.
    > 2) No games that you need to play. I am such a lousy player that I can
    > not even win when playing Quake with all cheats on
    >
    > Ideal would be some sort of demo. None of the games I have tried gave a
    > demo where you could just sit back and do nothing.
    >
    > I am not even sure if such a thing exists. Anybody an idea?

    Sorry, bit late on the reply but check out this....

    http://unigine.com/download/

    Unigine is a commercial 3D engine, used in some games and other softs.
    2 demos exist with Linux versions...Sanctuary and Tropics.

    You will need fairly decent 3D hardware to see something other than
    a slideshow, but if your rig is up to it the results are nice.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

  12. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Sorry, bit late on the reply but check out this....
    >
    > http://unigine.com/download/
    >
    > Unigine is a commercial 3D engine, used in some games and other softs.
    > 2 demos exist with Linux versions...Sanctuary and Tropics.
    >
    > You will need fairly decent 3D hardware to see something other than
    > a slideshow, but if your rig is up to it the results are nice.

    Looks nice (at least the novie)

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  13. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Hi there,

    houghi wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Sorry, bit late on the reply but check out this....
    >>
    >> http://unigine.com/download/
    >>
    >> Unigine is a commercial 3D engine, used in some games and other softs.
    >> 2 demos exist with Linux versions...Sanctuary and Tropics.
    >>
    >> You will need fairly decent 3D hardware to see something other than
    >> a slideshow, but if your rig is up to it the results are nice.

    > Looks nice (at least the novie)

    It sure does. I tested the Linux demo on my laptop (GeForce 8600M GT
    512MB, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo T7250) but it struggles to get double digit
    frame rates above 1024x768. Strange because the laptop can run Crysis
    at 1280x800 medium settings, without dropping below 20fps. I couldn't
    get *above* 20fps with Unigine no matter how low a resolution or
    quality I tried...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

  14. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > It sure does. I tested the Linux demo on my laptop (GeForce 8600M GT
    > 512MB, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo T7250) but it struggles to get double digit
    > frame rates above 1024x768. Strange because the laptop can run Crysis
    > at 1280x800 medium settings, without dropping below 20fps. I couldn't
    > get *above* 20fps with Unigine no matter how low a resolution or
    > quality I tried...

    I could not get it to run at all. :-(

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  15. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Hi there,

    houghi wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> It sure does. I tested the Linux demo on my laptop (GeForce 8600M GT
    >> 512MB, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo T7250) but it struggles to get double digit
    >> frame rates above 1024x768. Strange because the laptop can run Crysis
    >> at 1280x800 medium settings, without dropping below 20fps. I couldn't
    >> get *above* 20fps with Unigine no matter how low a resolution or
    >> quality I tried...

    > I could not get it to run at all. :-(

    Is it a software or hardware problem? I've only tried it on my laptop
    running openSUSE 10.3, and as much as I'd like to try it on this new
    openSUSE 11 box I'm posting from it only has a GeForce 6150SE IGP.
    That *barely* handles some of the OpenGL screensavers in KDE, let alone
    something like Unigine... :-(

    My girl and I moved to Edinburgh only 3 weeks ago - when we get jobs I
    might splash out on a mid-range PCIe card like a 9600 or similar...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

  16. Re: Any 3d demo out there?

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> I could not get it to run at all. :-(

    > Is it a software or hardware problem?

    I am asuming a hardware issue, but I can not exactly pinpoint wether it
    is memory, processor or mobo.

    Memtest does not run at all.

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

+ Reply to Thread