KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows - Suse

This is a discussion on KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows - Suse ; Is there a way to get Firefox with KDE 4 in openSUSE 11 to have one entry in the tray saying e.g Firefox [17] in stead of trying to have 17 different icons which my resolution can't handle so I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

  1. KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    Is there a way to get Firefox with KDE 4 in openSUSE 11 to have one
    entry in the tray saying e.g Firefox [17] in stead of trying to have 17
    different icons which my resolution can't handle so I can't open some of
    the windows or other running programs?

  2. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    Inge Svensson wrote:
    > Is there a way to get Firefox with KDE 4 in openSUSE 11 to have one
    > entry in the tray saying e.g Firefox [17] in stead of trying to have 17
    > different icons which my resolution can't handle so I can't open some of
    > the windows or other running programs?


    Use tabs?

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  3. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    houghi schrieb:
    > Inge Svensson wrote:
    >> Is there a way to get Firefox with KDE 4 in openSUSE 11 to have one
    >> entry in the tray saying e.g Firefox [17] in stead of trying to have 17
    >> different icons which my resolution can't handle so I can't open some of
    >> the windows or other running programs?

    >
    > Use tabs?
    >
    > houghi


    And the Tab Mix Plus add-on to have a maximum of control whether a new
    window or a new tab is opened by a click on a link.

    Volker

  4. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    Volker Lenhardt skrev:
    > houghi schrieb:
    >> Inge Svensson wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to get Firefox with KDE 4 in openSUSE 11 to have one
    >>> entry in the tray saying e.g Firefox [17] in stead of trying to have
    >>> 17 different icons which my resolution can't handle so I can't open
    >>> some of the windows or other running programs?

    >>
    >> Use tabs?
    >>
    >> houghi

    >
    > And the Tab Mix Plus add-on to have a maximum of control whether a new
    > window or a new tab is opened by a click on a link.
    >
    > Volker

    I forgot to write that I works like I want in KDE 3.
    Inge Svensson

  5. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    Inge Svensson skrev:
    > Volker Lenhardt skrev:
    >> houghi schrieb:
    >>> Inge Svensson wrote:
    >>>> Is there a way to get Firefox with KDE 4 in openSUSE 11 to have one
    >>>> entry in the tray saying e.g Firefox [17] in stead of trying to have
    >>>> 17 different icons which my resolution can't handle so I can't open
    >>>> some of the windows or other running programs?
    >>>
    >>> Use tabs?
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >>
    >> And the Tab Mix Plus add-on to have a maximum of control whether a new
    >> window or a new tab is opened by a click on a link.
    >>
    >> Volker

    > I forgot to write that I works like I want in KDE 3.
    > Inge Svensson

    I found a partly solution in changing the Panel settings to normal
    instead of small. Now all icons can be seen up to a limit, but I still
    would like a KDE 3 behavior without having to switch back to KDE 3 and
    miss the improvments in KDE 4.

  6. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    Inge Svensson skrev:
    > Inge Svensson skrev:
    >> Volker Lenhardt skrev:
    >>> houghi schrieb:
    >>>> Inge Svensson wrote:
    >>>>> Is there a way to get Firefox with KDE 4 in openSUSE 11 to have one
    >>>>> entry in the tray saying e.g Firefox [17] in stead of trying to
    >>>>> have 17 different icons which my resolution can't handle so I can't
    >>>>> open some of the windows or other running programs?
    >>>>
    >>>> Use tabs?
    >>>>
    >>>> houghi
    >>>
    >>> And the Tab Mix Plus add-on to have a maximum of control whether a
    >>> new window or a new tab is opened by a click on a link.
    >>>
    >>> Volker

    >> I forgot to write that I works like I want in KDE 3.
    >> Inge Svensson

    > I found a partly solution in changing the Panel settings to normal
    > instead of small. Now all icons can be seen up to a limit, but I still
    > would like a KDE 3 behavior without having to switch back to KDE 3 and
    > miss the improvments in KDE 4.

    On
    http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k...g-taskbar.html
    it says that it should be possible with Configure Taskbar... It was
    there in the KDE 4 I had, but that function was missing. I upgraded to
    KDE 4.1.1-32.4, but then it was removed. Of course it's a preview version.

  7. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    Inge Svensson wrote:

    > Inge Svensson skrev:
    >> Inge Svensson skrev:
    >>> Volker Lenhardt skrev:
    >>>> houghi schrieb:
    >>>>> Inge Svensson wrote:
    >>>>>> Is there a way to get Firefox with KDE 4 in openSUSE 11 to have one
    >>>>>> entry in the tray saying e.g Firefox [17] in stead of trying to
    >>>>>> have 17 different icons which my resolution can't handle so I can't
    >>>>>> open some of the windows or other running programs?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Use tabs?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> houghi
    >>>>
    >>>> And the Tab Mix Plus add-on to have a maximum of control whether a
    >>>> new window or a new tab is opened by a click on a link.
    >>>>
    >>>> Volker
    >>> I forgot to write that I works like I want in KDE 3.
    >>> Inge Svensson

    >> I found a partly solution in changing the Panel settings to normal
    >> instead of small. Now all icons can be seen up to a limit, but I still
    >> would like a KDE 3 behavior without having to switch back to KDE 3 and
    >> miss the improvments in KDE 4.

    > On
    >

    http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k...g-taskbar.html
    > it says that it should be possible with Configure Taskbar... It was
    > there in the KDE 4 I had, but that function was missing. I upgraded to
    > KDE 4.1.1-32.4, but then it was removed. Of course it's a preview version.



    I still can't understand why anyone would want multiple browser windows for
    everything instead of having multiple tabs within a single firefox or
    konqueror window, or Opera or Seamonkey etc. I think the last browser that
    couldn't tab was IE6, the rest have supported tabbed browsing for years
    now.


    Dave

  8. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    David W Studeman skrev:
    >
    > I still can't understand why anyone would want multiple browser windows for
    > everything instead of having multiple tabs within a single firefox or
    > konqueror window, or Opera or Seamonkey etc. I think the last browser that
    > couldn't tab was IE6, the rest have supported tabbed browsing for years
    > now.
    >
    >
    > Dave

    Because I'm used to the old way. If I by mistake open I new site in a
    new tab instead of a new window and then by habit try to close it I
    click in the upper right corner and the browser says: You are to close
    two tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?
    Inge Svensson

  9. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    Inge Svensson wrote:
    > Because I'm used to the old way. If I by mistake open I new site in a
    > new tab instead of a new window and then by habit try to close it I


    You can open a new site in a new window too. Still don't need to have
    two instances of Firefox running. Click RIGHT on the link and select
    "Open in new Window" and it will look just the way as if 2 instances
    of Firefox are running.
    In fact, IF you are allowed to start firefox twice (which I am in
    Slackware), even then the 2nd firefox will open just a new window
    in the "already running instance" instead of starting a separate
    process. This is because of locking on config and history files
    (including especially the bookmarks file), a 2nd firefox wouldn't
    be able to access those.

    Only with SEPARATE profiles you can run two different instances
    of Firefox, because each has its own set of files in its profile.
    --
    ************************************************** *****************
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **
    ** snail-mail: P.O. Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands **
    ************************************************** *****************

  10. Re: KDE 4 and many Firefox Windows

    Eef Hartman wrote:
    > Only with SEPARATE profiles you can run two different instances
    > of Firefox, because each has its own set of files in its profile.


    And that is a bitch, because then several things will need to be updated
    seperately. Most importandly bookmarks, plugins and search engines.

    I need to run two at any time and sometimes three or even four or five
    One on each screen and the one on VNC to localhost. The reason I do VNC
    to localhost is that sometimes I want to look at another window manager
    or two.
    And then I might want to use VNC from another machine as well.

    So each time I need to see that the content in all profiles is the same.
    Symlinking some content is possible, but not all. Especially not the
    search engines; they stop working.

    Stoopid ...

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
    down a gully.

+ Reply to Thread