Switch configuration - Suse

This is a discussion on Switch configuration - Suse ; I just bought a switch and I though that I could just plug in the network cards and all would be well. Unfortunatly I am able to connect to the intertube, but not between the machines themselves. How I used ...

  1. Switch configuration

    I just bought a switch and I though that I could just plug in the
    network cards and all would be well.
    Unfortunatly I am able to connect to the intertube, but not between the
    machines themselves.

    How I used to have it:
    Internet

    Modem

    |----|----|----|
    PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4

    How it is now

    Internet

    Modem

    Switch

    |----|----|----|
    PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4

    It has been such a long time ago that I have forgotten what to do.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  2. Re: Switch configuration

    houghi wrote:

    > I just bought a switch and I though that I could just plug in the
    > network cards and all would be well.
    > Unfortunatly I am able to connect to the intertube, but not between the
    > machines themselves.
    >
    > How I used to have it:
    > Internet
    > |
    > Modem
    > |
    > |----|----|----|
    > PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4
    >
    > How it is now
    >
    > Internet
    > |
    > Modem
    > |
    > Switch
    > |
    > |----|----|----|
    > PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4
    >
    > It has been such a long time ago that I have forgotten what to do.
    >
    > houghi

    Make sure you plug the dsl (modem) into the Uplink port (left most on cisco
    switch when looking at it from the back). I had a similar problem because
    I had plugged the dsl box into the right side port..

    If that isn't it then check by pinging between boxes and see if your
    firewall is getting in the way, etc...

  3. Re: Switch configuration

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Make sure you plug the dsl (modem) into the Uplink port (left most on cisco
    > switch when looking at it from the back). I had a similar problem because
    > I had plugged the dsl box into the right side port..

    Did that and also did the `rcnetwork restart` and nothing

    > If that isn't it then check by pinging between boxes and see if your
    > firewall is getting in the way, etc...

    No trace to host, so this also means no ping. I resbooted my PC and now
    it seems to work. Strange. Must be some Windows machine.(1)

    (1) I did not reboot it because of this. I just added some new hardware.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  4. Re: Switch configuration

    houghi wrote:
    > I just bought a switch and I though that I could just plug in the
    > network cards and all would be well.
    > Unfortunatly I am able to connect to the intertube, but not between the
    > machines themselves.
    >
    > How I used to have it:
    > Internet
    > |
    > Modem
    > |
    > |----|----|----|
    > PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4
    >
    > How it is now
    >
    > Internet
    > |
    > Modem
    > |
    > Switch
    > |
    > |----|----|----|
    > PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4
    >
    > It has been such a long time ago that I have forgotten what to do.
    >
    > houghi

    The router/gateway is missing between the modem and the switch that does
    the NAT to and from 192.168.*.* or whatever you are using locally.

    Best Regards
    Werner

  5. Re: Switch configuration

    Werner wrote:
    >> How it is now
    >>
    >> Internet
    >> |
    >> Modem
    >> |
    >> Switch
    >> |
    >> |----|----|----|
    >> PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4
    >>
    >> It has been such a long time ago that I have forgotten what to do.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > The router/gateway is missing between the modem and the switch that does
    > the NAT to and from 192.168.*.* or whatever you are using locally.

    The Modem is router, DHCP and firewall and what not.
    The problem seems to be hardware/driver as two machines work and a third
    does not.

    When I tried, I tried from the one machine that did not work to the
    machine that did work and the other way around. Never realizing that
    100M would be working and 1G would not.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  6. Re: Switch configuration

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:37:47 UTC, houghi
    wrote:

    > Werner wrote:
    > >> How it is now
    > >>
    > >> Internet
    > >> |
    > >> Modem
    > >> |
    > >> Switch
    > >> |
    > >> |----|----|----|
    > >> PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4
    > >>
    > >> It has been such a long time ago that I have forgotten what to do.
    > >>
    > >> houghi

    > > The router/gateway is missing between the modem and the switch that does
    > > the NAT to and from 192.168.*.* or whatever you are using locally.

    > The Modem is router, DHCP and firewall and what not.
    > The problem seems to be hardware/driver as two machines work and a third
    > does not.
    >
    > When I tried, I tried from the one machine that did not work to the
    > machine that did work and the other way around. Never realizing that
    > 100M would be working and 1G would not.
    >
    > houghi

    My answer assumes that you are talking about a typical "switch" like a
    Linksys 5 port or 8 port. On these switches are 5 ports and a 6th
    labeled "uplink." You want to make sure that you are only using ports
    1-5 for the entry of information and the 4 computers. I ran into a
    similar problem when I connected the uplink port. Leave this one
    blank in your set-up.
    Paul