sar on Open SuSe 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on sar on Open SuSe 11.0 - Suse ; Anyone know what happened to sar on SuSe 11.0? Last seen alive and well on a 9'er version... I can't find it in yast now. Has it been renamed, replaced, or just dropped? I can't be the only one missing ...

  1. sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    Anyone know what happened to sar on SuSe 11.0?
    Last seen alive and well on a 9'er version... I can't find it
    in yast now. Has it been renamed, replaced, or just
    dropped? I can't be the only one missing it!

  2. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    David Johnstone wrote:
    > Anyone know what happened to sar on SuSe 11.0?
    > Last seen alive and well on a 9'er version... I can't find it
    > in yast now. Has it been renamed, replaced, or just
    > dropped? I can't be the only one missing it!

    No idea what 'sar' is. Sorry.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  3. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    David Johnstone wrote:

    > Anyone know what happened to sar on SuSe 11.0?
    > Last seen alive and well on a 9'er version... I can't find it
    > in yast now. Has it been renamed, replaced, or just
    > dropped? I can't be the only one missing it!

    Included in package sysstat.

  4. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:31:44 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > No idea what 'sar' is. Sorry.

    Was the original posting directed towards you?

    If so, what was the purpose of your posting?

    Especially as the question was previously answered by Michael Soibelman.

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:14:04 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Included in package sysstat.

  5. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    J G Miller wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:31:44 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >> No idea what 'sar' is. Sorry.

    > Was the original posting directed towards you?

    Towards everybody, so also towards me.

    > If so, what was the purpose of your posting?

    I am curious as to what it does. Should have explained that better, so
    please what does it do?

    > Especially as the question was previously answered by Michael Soibelman.

    When I posted the answer was not there yet.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  6. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    houghi wrote:

    > J G Miller wrote:
    >>

    >> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:31:44 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >>> No idea what 'sar' is. Sorry.

    >> Was the original posting directed towards you?

    > Towards everybody, so also towards me.
    >
    >> If so, what was the purpose of your posting?

    > I am curious as to what it does. Should have explained that better, so
    > please what does it do?
    >

    >> Especially as the question was previously answered by Michael Soibelman.

    > When I posted the answer was not there yet.
    >
    > houghi

    The sysstat package contains the sar, sadf, iostat, mpstat, and pidstat
    commands for Linux. The sar command collects and reports system activity
    information. The statistics reported by sar concern I/O transfer rates,
    paging activity, process-related activites, interrupts, network activity,
    memory and swap space utilization, CPU utilization, kernel activities, and
    TTY statistics, among others. The sadf command may be used to display data
    collected by sar in various formats. The iostat command reports CPU
    statistics and I/O statistics for tty devices and disks. The pidstat
    command reports statistics for Linux processes. The mpstat command reports
    global and per-processor statistics.

  7. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    houghi wrote:
    >J G Miller wrote:
    >> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:31:44 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >>> No idea what 'sar' is. Sorry.

    >> Was the original posting directed towards you?

    >Towards everybody, so also towards me.

    I always considered it good netiquette not to post an "I don't know"
    to a question posed to the entire group.

    The reason should be obvious.

    >> If so, what was the purpose of your posting?

    >I am curious as to what it does. Should have explained that better, so
    >please what does it do?

    sar => System Activity (Logging and) Reports. RTFM

    It's been around 20+ years in *nix.
    \ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Science is the belief in
    X against HTML mail | the ignorance of the experts.
    / \ and postings | -- Richard Feynman

  8. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    Bernd Felsche wrote:
    > I always considered it good netiquette not to post an "I don't know"
    > to a question posed to the entire group.
    >
    > The reason should be obvious.

    As said, I should have asked and explained more. Again my appologies.

    > sar => System Activity (Logging and) Reports. RTFM
    >
    > It's been around 20+ years in *nix.

    Thanks for the information. Sorry that I do not know everything and if
    one does not know what it is, it is pretty hard to RTFM.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  9. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    On 11 Sep., 20:14, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > David Johnstone wrote:
    > > Anyone know what happened to sar on SuSe 11.0?
    > > Last seen alive and well on a 9'er version... I can't find it
    > > in yast now. Has it been renamed, replaced, or just
    > > dropped? I can't be the only one missing it!

    > Included in package sysstat.

    Thanks, I did get that far.
    But the sysstat package also seems to be missing on
    OpenSuSe 11.0, at least it's not on the DVD. Does it have
    to be specially downloaded and installed?

  10. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    > As said, I should have asked and explained more. Again my appologies.

    I guess I could have also added a little background info.
    My thinking was, anyone who can help will know what sar
    is, but I suppose that was a little selfish too! Sorry!

  11. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    David Johnstone wrote:
    > Thanks, I did get that far.
    > But the sysstat package also seems to be missing on
    > OpenSuSe 11.0, at least it's not on the DVD. Does it have
    > to be specially downloaded and installed?

    If you can't find it on the DVD, always go to the website and search
    there:
    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...&p=1&q=sysstat
    (Sorry, tinyURL did not work)

    Use the 1-click-install to add the repositories AND install the
    software.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  12. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    David Johnstone wrote:
    > I guess I could have also added a little background info.
    > My thinking was, anyone who can help will know what sar
    > is, but I suppose that was a little selfish too! Sorry!

    OK
    ________ .__
    / _____/______ ____ __ ________ | |__ __ __ ____
    / \ __\_ __ \/ _ \| | \____ \| | \| | \/ ___\
    \ \_\ \ | \( <_> ) | / |_> > Y \ | / /_/ >
    \______ /__| \____/|____/| __/|___| /____/\___ /
    \/ |__| \/ /_____/

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  13. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Johnstone wrote:
    >> Thanks, I did get that far.
    >> But the sysstat package also seems to be missing on
    >> OpenSuSe 11.0, at least it's not on the DVD. Does it have
    >> to be specially downloaded and installed?

    >If you can't find it on the DVD, always go to the website and search
    >there:
    >http://software.opensuse.org/search?...&p=1&q=sysstat
    >(Sorry, tinyURL did not work)

    Worked here:

    Same place, with or without a preview of where the tiny URL really
    points to.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  14. Re: sar on Open SuSe 11.0

    houghi wrote:
    >Bernd Felsche wrote:

    >> sar => System Activity (Logging and) Reports. RTFM
    >>
    >> It's been around 20+ years in *nix.

    >Thanks for the information. Sorry that I do not know everything and if
    >one does not know what it is, it is pretty hard to RTFM.

    There's an article on it in the current (October 2008) Linux-Magazine

    I've used sar for performance tuning for a long time. It's a very
    handy tool that collects activity metrics in the background with
    very little system overhead, allowing analysis, usually after the
    fact. Data can be collected for days, weeks and months; even years.

    The long-term trends in activity facilitate planning and patterns of
    (ab)use. The short term data help to identify bottle-necks for
    system tuning.
    \ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Science is the belief in
    X against HTML mail | the ignorance of the experts.
    / \ and postings | -- Richard Feynman

+ Reply to Thread