Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works! - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works! - Suse ; On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote: > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work > getting opensuse 10.3 to work." > > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815 A week? I would have given it 3 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    A week?

    I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    completely and go to Windows.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>
    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > A week?
    >
    > I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    > would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    > another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    > completely and go to Windows.

    Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    --
    "I hate Linux and Linux advocacy I hate Linux and Linux
    advocacy I hate Linux and Linux advocacy "

  3. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:14:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard
    >> work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>
    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > A week?
    >
    > I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    > would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    > another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    > completely and go to Windows.

    Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    the Ubuntu variants.

    Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    deal with.

  4. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    ray writes:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:14:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard
    >>> work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>>
    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> A week?
    >>
    >> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >> completely and go to Windows.

    > Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    > distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    > the Ubuntu variants.
    >
    > Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    > deal with.

    Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    --
    "I hate Linux and Linux advocacy I hate Linux and Linux
    advocacy I hate Linux and Linux advocacy "
    -- High Plains Thumper in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  5. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-10, Hadron wrote:
    > ray writes:

    >>> A week?
    >>>
    >>> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >>> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >>> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >>> completely and go to Windows.

    >> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    >> distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    >> the Ubuntu variants.
    >>
    >> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    >> deal with.

    > Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    Without any prior knowledge, I would start with those that sell
    themselves on being suitable for end user desktop and laptop use
    rather than being replacements for AIX or Solaris.

    --

    Linux: Because I don't want to push pretty buttons. |||
    I want the pretty buttons to push themelves. / | \

  6. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-10, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:14:35 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard
    >>> work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>>
    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> A week?
    >>
    >> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >> completely and go to Windows.

    > Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    > distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    > the Ubuntu variants.
    >
    > Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    > deal with.

    It's admireable to see someone mastering Linux in general, that makes it
    easy to "deal with" distributions in plural

    But then OTOH one would not expect such an expert to find openSUSE difficult to
    "deal with"

    I think you don't know **** about "dealing with"

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  7. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:40:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >>> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>>
    >>> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    >> A week?
    >>
    >> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >> completely and go to Windows.

    > Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    Sounds like a task for all of those nano-bots he has running around!
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >> ray writes:
    >>>
    >>> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active Linux
    >>> distributions, though there is much duplication in the count - e.g. all
    >>> the Ubuntu variants.
    >>>
    >>> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier to
    >>> deal with.

    >> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    > Without any prior knowledge, I would start with those that sell
    >themselves on being suitable for end user desktop and laptop use
    >rather than being replacements for AIX or Solaris.

    No doubt, some hardware and some distros are not real "happy" with
    each other. We wish this was not so, but it is. This does not
    reflect poorly on Linux itself, of course.

    There's lots of hardware to choose from that "just works" with most
    modern desktop/laptop distros.

    --
    "Microsoft chooses to break the law when it suits them. Does that make
    them a bad corporation?" - Oliver Wong

  9. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:25:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    >> getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >>
    >> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    > A week?
    >
    > I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    > would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    > another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    > completely and go to Windows.

    Some people have had Windows for years and still can't make it work right.

  10. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:00:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:

    >>> A week?
    >>>
    >>> I would have given it 3 hours and if I didn't have it up and working I
    >>> would toss it into the can and either go back to distrowatch and pick
    >>> another of the 500 different versions of Linux or forget about Linux
    >>> completely and go to Windows.

    >> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active
    >> Linux distributions, though there is much duplication in the count -
    >> e.g. all the Ubuntu variants.
    >>
    >> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier
    >> to deal with.

    > Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > Some people have had Windows for years and still can't make it work right.

    Microsoft can't make it work right. What chance does a poor end user have?

    ....Kevin
    --
    Kevin Miller
    http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

  12. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > forget about Linux completely and go to Windows.

    Do that, and get the hell out of here, flatfarb.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can

    Good to the last supper

  13. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Hadron wrote:

    > Maybe an uber "power user" like 7 could help?

    Or a Linux master like you, Quirk.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can

    Good to the last supper

  14. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    Hadron wrote:

    > Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    Why do you care, assmunch?
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....So many books; So little time.

    Good to the last supper

  15. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    ray writes:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:00:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Actually, according to distrowatch.com, there are about 350 active
    >>> Linux distributions, though there is much duplication in the count -
    >>> e.g. all the Ubuntu variants.
    >>>
    >>> Suse would not have been my choice. I find other distributions easier
    >>> to deal with.

    >> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    > Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work

    After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I
    settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    freeze on Lenny.

    --
    "Every piece of evidence I've heard from developers inside Microsoft
    supports my theory that the company has become completely tangled up in

  16. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:52:18 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    > Why do you care, assmunch?

    Because Quack doesn't know enough about *any*, & is jealous of those that
    do!

  17. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-11, Hadron wrote:
    > ray writes:

    >>> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to comment?

    >> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    > I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    > and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work
    >
    > After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I

    Quit trying to pretend you're an actual Linux user while spreading
    this obvious bit of FUD. All you're doing here is just trying to parot
    the anti-ubuntu hysteria that the other Lemmings try to whip up.

    > settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    > freeze on Lenny.

    Debian testing

    --
    Apple: because TRANS.TBL is an mp3 file. It really is! |||
    / | \

  18. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:17:38 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-11, Hadron wrote:
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    >> I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    >> and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work
    >>
    >> After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I

    > Quit trying to pretend you're an actual Linux user while spreading
    > this obvious bit of FUD. All you're doing here is just trying to parot
    > the anti-ubuntu hysteria that the other Lemmings try to whip up.

    "After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases"
    LOL!

    *They* had had enough of *him* & many were binning him. Quack's like
    Michael Snit Glasser, it's their attitude that sucks.

    >> settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    >> freeze on Lenny.

    > Debian testing

    Yeah.

  19. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:34:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:

    >>> Which "other" distributions do you use and know enough about to
    >>> comment?

    >> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    > I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    > and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work
    >
    > After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I
    > settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    > freeze on Lenny.

    I use Ubuntu mostly - two desktops and my laptop - but i wait a while
    after each new release. Also forgot to mention the Gentoo on my mini-itx.

  20. Re: Linux takes 30 minutes to install and everything just works!

    On 2008-09-11, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:34:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Debian, Knoppix, Elive, Mandrivel, Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small.

    >> I guess choice is a good thing. Personally I looked for one that worked
    >> and was stable and with which I could run applications to do my work
    >>
    >> After Ubuntu went pear shaped with the fan boyz and the buggy releases I
    >> settled on Debian testing. It will go "stable" soon and then I will
    >> freeze on Lenny.

    > I use Ubuntu mostly - two desktops and my laptop - but i wait a while
    > after each new release. Also forgot to mention the Gentoo on my mini-itx.

    ....you would think a guy that has worked in the industry would
    be aware of the whole "lets wait awhile" and "let's not be the
    guinea pigs" mindset that you tend to see with most serious
    (corporate) users.