editor that allows specifying a font size for printing - Suse

This is a discussion on editor that allows specifying a font size for printing - Suse ; I mean is there an editor that has provision for specifying the font size for printing? I have the display font size large for comfortable viewing at 1680x1050 resolution (22" monitor). When I print, the font follows what the editor ...

  1. editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    I mean is there an editor that has provision for specifying the
    font size for printing? I have the display font size large for
    comfortable viewing at 1680x1050 resolution (22" monitor). When
    I print, the font follows what the editor is running under &
    changing doesn't seem to change the printed font size.

    An editor in windows has the print font size feature so surely
    a linux editor/viewer "should" have the same desirable feature?

  2. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    The carbonbased lifeform nobody inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > I mean is there an editor that has provision for specifying the
    > font size for printing? I have the display font size large for
    > comfortable viewing at 1680x1050 resolution (22" monitor). When
    > I print, the font follows what the editor is running under &
    > changing doesn't seem to change the printed font size.
    >
    > An editor in windows has the print font size feature so surely
    > a linux editor/viewer "should" have the same desirable feature?

    Kate does.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  3. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    On 2008-09-10, Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > The carbonbased lifeform nobody inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >> I mean is there an editor that has provision for specifying the
    >> font size for printing? I have the display font size large for
    >> comfortable viewing at 1680x1050 resolution (22" monitor). When
    >> I print, the font follows what the editor is running under &
    >> changing doesn't seem to change the printed font size.
    >>
    >> An editor in windows has the print font size feature so surely
    >> a linux editor/viewer "should" have the same desirable feature?

    > Kate does.
    >
    > Theo

    Tried kate & don't see any setting that indicate how to have the printout
    print at a different font from what is stated for kate.

    Did find that ediitpadlite can run under wine & editpadlite does have a
    place to select a different font size for the printout. My reason for
    needing to change the font size is that the printing with the same font
    size as viewing would produce wraps for lines that don't appear to wrap
    on the screen.

    Thanks tho. I did another check on kate to see if I missed seeing
    howto to change the printout font size only & not the screen font size.

  4. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    The carbonbased lifeform nobody inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > On 2008-09-10, Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >> The carbonbased lifeform nobody inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >>> I mean is there an editor that has provision for specifying the
    >>> font size for printing? I have the display font size large for
    >>> comfortable viewing at 1680x1050 resolution (22" monitor). When
    >>> I print, the font follows what the editor is running under &
    >>> changing doesn't seem to change the printed font size.
    >>>
    >>> An editor in windows has the print font size feature so surely
    >>> a linux editor/viewer "should" have the same desirable feature?

    >> Kate does.
    >>
    >> Theo

    > Tried kate & don't see any setting that indicate how to have the printout
    > print at a different font from what is stated for kate.

    $kate --version
    Qt: 3.3.8
    KDE: 3.5.7 "release 72.9"
    Kate: 2.5.7

    On my system kate has zoom-in and -out buttons in the Toolbar menu.
    Zooming in or out does not change the font settings for printing,
    See Settings - Configure Toolbar - Main Toolbar

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB
    "ik _heb_ niets tegen Microsoft, ik heb iets tegen
    de uitwassen *van* Microsoft"

  5. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    nobody wrote:

    > I mean is there an editor that has provision for specifying the
    > font size for printing? I have the display font size large for
    > comfortable viewing at 1680x1050 resolution (22" monitor). When
    > I print, the font follows what the editor is running under &
    > changing doesn't seem to change the printed font size.
    >
    > An editor in windows has the print font size feature so surely
    > a linux editor/viewer "should" have the same desirable feature?

    Settings -> Configure Kate -> Editor -> Fonts & Colors -> Font Tab -> At the
    bottom you'll see "Default schema for Kate:" To the left of that is the
    drop-down menu. Click the arrow and select "kate -Printing" and select
    whichever font, font style & font size you like. Press "apply" and your
    printing settings should just work...

  6. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    -----------------------------------------------To the right of that !
    > bottom you'll see "Default schema for Kate:" To the left of that is the
    > drop-down menu. Click the arrow and select "kate -Printing" and select
    > whichever font, font style & font size you like. Press "apply" and your
    > printing settings should just work...

    Also, as I tested this it seems you might need to click Apply and then close
    and reopen the editor. Then it works as I tested it and my test print font
    was applied when printing...

  7. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    On 2008-09-10, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> nobody wrote:
    >>
    >>> I mean is there an editor that has provision for specifying the
    >>> font size for printing? I have the display font size large for
    >>> comfortable viewing at 1680x1050 resolution (22" monitor). When
    >>> I print, the font follows what the editor is running under &
    >>> changing doesn't seem to change the printed font size.
    >>>
    >>> An editor in windows has the print font size feature so surely
    >>> a linux editor/viewer "should" have the same desirable feature?

    >> Settings -> Configure Kate -> Editor -> Fonts & Colors -> Font Tab -> At
    >> the

    > -----------------------------------------------To the right of that !
    >> bottom you'll see "Default schema for Kate:" To the left of that is the
    >> drop-down menu. Click the arrow and select "kate -Printing" and select
    >> whichever font, font style & font size you like. Press "apply" and your
    >> printing settings should just work...

    > Also, as I tested this it seems you might need to click Apply and then close
    > and reopen the editor. Then it works as I tested it and my test print font
    > was applied when printing...

    Thank you, I just tested it & it does work; not a permanent solution as
    I needed to reset the "normal" mode to the larger font for my eyes. Would
    have been nice to have a separate config for printing as I think that is
    what is needed by others with the larger monitors available now "cheaply".

    Printing a line that is 77 col long on 1 line is preferable to having
    the printout of the line in 2 rows.

  8. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    nobody wrote:

    > On 2008-09-10, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >>> Settings -> Configure Kate -> Editor -> Fonts & Colors -> Font Tab -> At
    >>> the

    >> -----------------------------------------------To the right of that !
    >>> bottom you'll see "Default schema for Kate:" To the left of that is the
    >>> drop-down menu. Click the arrow and select "kate -Printing" and select
    >>> whichever font, font style & font size you like. Press "apply" and your
    >>> printing settings should just work...

    >> Also, as I tested this it seems you might need to click Apply and then
    >> close
    >> and reopen the editor. Then it works as I tested it and my test print
    >> font was applied when printing...

    > Thank you, I just tested it & it does work; not a permanent solution as
    > I needed to reset the "normal" mode to the larger font for my eyes. Would
    > have been nice to have a separate config for printing as I think that is
    > what is needed by others with the larger monitors available now "cheaply".
    >
    > Printing a line that is 77 col long on 1 line is preferable to having
    > the printout of the line in 2 rows.

    Not sure I understand this as it seems the print settings are separate from
    the normal settings. Just go to 'View' -> 'Schema' and
    select 'kate-normal' to view fonts on screen in this mode. You can toggle
    back and forth to view it in either mode...

  9. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    On 2008-09-10, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > nobody wrote:

    >>> -----------------------------------------------To the right of that !
    >>>

    >>> Also, as I tested this it seems you might need to click Apply and then
    >>> close
    >>> and reopen the editor. Then it works as I tested it and my test print
    >>> font was applied when printing...

    >> Thank you, I just tested it & it does work; not a permanent solution as
    >> I needed to reset the "normal" mode to the larger font for my eyes. Would
    >> have been nice to have a separate config for printing as I think that is
    >> what is needed by others with the larger monitors available now "cheaply".
    >>
    >> Printing a line that is 77 col long on 1 line is preferable to having
    >> the printout of the line in 2 rows.

    > Not sure I understand this as it seems the print settings are separate from
    > the normal settings. Just go to 'View' -> 'Schema' and
    > select 'kate-normal' to view fonts on screen in this mode. You can toggle
    > back and forth to view it in either mode...

    I thought I did toggle; will have to check as I may have exited kate then
    loaded a file then did the toggle; will so & pay more attention at what I
    did :-(

  10. Re: editor that allows specifying a font size for printing

    On 2008-09-11, nobody wrote:
    > On 2008-09-10, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> nobody wrote:

    >>> Thank you, I just tested it & it does work; not a permanent solution as
    >>> I needed to reset the "normal" mode to the larger font for my eyes. Would
    >>> have been nice to have a separate config for printing as I think that is
    >>> what is needed by others with the larger monitors available now "cheaply".
    >>>
    >>> Printing a line that is 77 col long on 1 line is preferable to having
    >>> the printout of the line in 2 rows.

    >> Not sure I understand this as it seems the print settings are separate from
    >> the normal settings. Just go to 'View' -> 'Schema' and
    >> select 'kate-normal' to view fonts on screen in this mode. You can toggle
    >> back and forth to view it in either mode...

    > I thought I did toggle; will have to check as I may have exited kate then
    > loaded a file then did the toggle; will so & pay more attention at what I
    > did :-(

    My own followup: kate does have a bug in displaying the font size when doing
    a toggle; the display doesn't show the "new" font size when toggling &
    applying; but the file font size did change. Also found I didn't need to
    select the tab in order to toggle between the normal & printing.

    However the schema selection at the top of the dialogue doesn't work as
    there is no "apply" button, just the ok & cancell. selecting ok doesn't
    change the font size.

    gotta remember this when at need, hopefully..

+ Reply to Thread