is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE? - Suse

This is a discussion on is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE? - Suse ; Is it possible or similar File system available? Thanks...

  1. is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    Is it possible or similar File system available?

    Thanks

  2. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    MacRules wrote:
    > Is it possible or similar File system available?
    >
    > Thanks

    Possible yes, but not from openSUSE itself for now. From
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Linux
    Porting ZFS to Linux is complicated by the fact that the GNU General
    Public License, which governs the Linux kernel, prohibits linking with
    code under certain licenses, such as CDDL, the license ZFS is released
    under.

    There also is a link to
    http://www.sun.com/emrkt/campaign_do...fs_gen.html#10
    which says:
    Q: Any thoughts on porting ZFS to Linux, AIX, or HPUX?
    A: No plans of porting to AIX and HPUX. Porting to Linux is currently
    being investigated.

    The first link also has some other links.

    The way I know all this is because I took some 10 seconds of my time
    (more then the time typing this message) and did a search on zfs and
    linux. If you do a search, you will even get better links, because I did
    not go for the first result.

    I am sure you did not do any investigation, because you would have said
    so.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  3. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    MacRules wrote:
    > Is it possible or similar File system available?
    >
    > Thanks

    There is a fuse port.

    http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/

    Not ideal... and sounds like the person hasn't had
    much time to work on it (still in beta).

    Why do you want/need ZFS? Just because Solaris
    absolutely SUCKED at doing sw raid and volume mgmt
    doesn't mean their solution to their own MESS
    (and I can't over emphasize the word MESS) brings
    anything terribly amazing to Linux. Though again,
    it was absolutely AMAZING in Solaris. You just
    have to use Solaris. It doesn't take much for
    something to be amazing there.

  4. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > MacRules wrote:
    >> Is it possible or similar File system available?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > There is a fuse port.
    >
    > http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/
    >
    > Not ideal... and sounds like the person hasn't had
    > much time to work on it (still in beta).
    >
    > Why do you want/need ZFS? Just because Solaris
    > absolutely SUCKED at doing sw raid and volume mgmt
    > doesn't mean their solution to their own MESS
    > (and I can't over emphasize the word MESS) brings
    > anything terribly amazing to Linux. Though again,
    > it was absolutely AMAZING in Solaris. You just
    > have to use Solaris. It doesn't take much for
    > something to be amazing there.

    Well, I do have Solaris in office for disposal.
    I am thinking to utilize FS compression feature to save image files.
    I do not need sw raid, but volume mgmt is neat.
    What choice is available in OpenSUSE?

    Thanks

  5. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    MacRules wrote:
    >> There is a fuse port.
    >>
    >> http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> Not ideal... and sounds like the person hasn't had
    >> much time to work on it (still in beta).
    >>
    >> Why do you want/need ZFS? Just because Solaris
    >> absolutely SUCKED at doing sw raid and volume mgmt
    >> doesn't mean their solution to their own MESS
    >> (and I can't over emphasize the word MESS) brings
    >> anything terribly amazing to Linux. Though again,
    >> it was absolutely AMAZING in Solaris. You just
    >> have to use Solaris. It doesn't take much for
    >> something to be amazing there.
    >>

    > Well, I do have Solaris in office for disposal.
    > I am thinking to utilize FS compression feature to save image files.
    > I do not need sw raid, but volume mgmt is neat.
    > What choice is available in OpenSUSE?

    There is a fuse port.

    http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/

    Not ideal... and sounds like the person hasn't had
    much time to work on it (still in beta).

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  6. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    MacRules wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> MacRules wrote:
    >>> Is it possible or similar File system available?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> There is a fuse port.
    >>
    >> http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> Not ideal... and sounds like the person hasn't had
    >> much time to work on it (still in beta).
    >>
    >> Why do you want/need ZFS? Just because Solaris
    >> absolutely SUCKED at doing sw raid and volume mgmt
    >> doesn't mean their solution to their own MESS
    >> (and I can't over emphasize the word MESS) brings
    >> anything terribly amazing to Linux. Though again,
    >> it was absolutely AMAZING in Solaris. You just
    >> have to use Solaris. It doesn't take much for
    >> something to be amazing there.
    >>

    > Well, I do have Solaris in office for disposal.
    > I am thinking to utilize FS compression feature to save image files.
    > I do not need sw raid, but volume mgmt is neat.

    openSUSE (and most other distros... though perhaps the longest
    in SUSE) has LVM.

    See: http://www.ntlug.org/Articles/LVM for some info.

    It's pretty flexible.

    > What choice is available in OpenSUSE?

    LVM for logical volume mgmt. Reiserfs if you want
    an easy to grow filesystem. As for some kind of
    automatic compression by file type... I don't think
    there is anything right now.

    Also, remember that ZFS isn't necessarily ready
    for prime time yet. Most Solaris machines (if not
    all) cannot boot from it (the OBP can be a curse).
    Also, as a singular non-RAID'd filesystem, last stat
    I got from Sun is that it was about 80% the performance
    of UFS... which is pretty bad.

  7. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Also, remember that ZFS isn't necessarily ready
    > for prime time yet. Most Solaris machines (if not
    > all) cannot boot from it (the OBP can be a curse).
    > Also, as a singular non-RAID'd filesystem, last stat
    > I got from Sun is that it was about 80% the performance
    > of UFS... which is pretty bad.

    Actually, benchmarks on ZFS look ok... but some have
    noticed a pretty bad level of fragmentation... some
    have reported going from 100's of MB/sec down to
    KB/sec due to fragmentation.

  8. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Also, remember that ZFS isn't necessarily ready
    >> for prime time yet. Most Solaris machines (if not
    >> all) cannot boot from it (the OBP can be a curse).
    >> Also, as a singular non-RAID'd filesystem, last stat
    >> I got from Sun is that it was about 80% the performance
    >> of UFS... which is pretty bad.

    > Actually, benchmarks on ZFS look ok... but some have
    > noticed a pretty bad level of fragmentation... some
    > have reported going from 100's of MB/sec down to
    > KB/sec due to fragmentation.

    Any idea how to detect fragmentation?
    Does ZVOL (raw device emulator) suffer fragmentation?

    Thanks

  9. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    On 2008-09-10 09:16, Chris Cox wrote:

    > Actually, benchmarks on ZFS look ok... but some have
    > noticed a pretty bad level of fragmentation... some
    > have reported going from 100's of MB/sec down to
    > KB/sec due to fragmentation.

    If that report is correct, it's indeed very bad news.
    I was planning to setup a solaris box as fileserver,
    but maybe it's best to wait a bit.

    HP also released the source to advfs, maybe that will
    be ported soon, it's very old, but have nice features,
    most of them are implemented in zfs, but not all.

    /bb

  10. Re: is Sun ZFS file system supported under OpenSUSE?

    IQ Rules wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Chris Cox wrote:
    >>> Also, remember that ZFS isn't necessarily ready
    >>> for prime time yet. Most Solaris machines (if not
    >>> all) cannot boot from it (the OBP can be a curse).
    >>> Also, as a singular non-RAID'd filesystem, last stat
    >>> I got from Sun is that it was about 80% the performance
    >>> of UFS... which is pretty bad.

    >> Actually, benchmarks on ZFS look ok... but some have
    >> noticed a pretty bad level of fragmentation... some
    >> have reported going from 100's of MB/sec down to
    >> KB/sec due to fragmentation.

    > Any idea how to detect fragmentation?

    I'm NOT a ZFS expert... but looks like the problem is
    found by inspection. Seems people see a massive
    slow down (some have describe it as a "cliff") and
    then determine (somehow) that's it's due to
    fragmentation (usually through experimentation).

    > Does ZVOL (raw device emulator) suffer fragmentation?

    It's a guess... but I think so. Again, I'm not
    a ZFS expert. I just know the tidbits that I know
    and some of the info (like worse than UFS performance)
    is somewhat old and outdated now.

+ Reply to Thread