Can't login using GUI - Newb alert - Suse

This is a discussion on Can't login using GUI - Newb alert - Suse ; I'm very new to all this, so keep that in mind. I recently installed VMWare Workstation 6.0 and Suse v11.0. Initially, I could run SUSE no problem (without ever being prompted to login). However, tonight I now have started getting ...

  1. Can't login using GUI - Newb alert

    I'm very new to all this, so keep that in mind. I recently installed
    VMWare Workstation 6.0 and Suse v11.0. Initially, I could run SUSE no
    problem (without ever being prompted to login). However, tonight I now
    have started getting prompted to login with my username and password.
    When I enter the info, it displays a screen full of info so fast I
    can't read it. Then, it goes back to the login window.

    I AM able to go into the console and log in with my username and
    password, so I know I have that right (and I am NOT trying to log into
    the GUI with my root password). Any ideas (1) why it's doing this, and
    (2) why when I first installed SUSE that it never prompted me for a
    username and password, but now it is?

    Thanks in advance,

    Andy

  2. Re: Can't login using GUI - Newb alert

    gonehiking2008@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm very new to all this, so keep that in mind. I recently installed
    > VMWare Workstation 6.0 and Suse v11.0. Initially, I could run SUSE no
    > problem (without ever being prompted to login). However, tonight I now
    > have started getting prompted to login with my username and password.
    > When I enter the info, it displays a screen full of info so fast I
    > can't read it. Then, it goes back to the login window.
    >
    > I AM able to go into the console and log in with my username and
    > password, so I know I have that right (and I am NOT trying to log into
    > the GUI with my root password). Any ideas (1) why it's doing this, and
    > (2) why when I first installed SUSE that it never prompted me for a
    > username and password, but now it is?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Andy

    There is a setting under Yast -> security and users -> users and group
    administration -> expert options -> login settings -> auto login (checked
    for no login required).

    Don't know if that would have any effect on all the screen of data - there
    may be an X windows setting that is causing problems or it may be the
    VMWare stuff (I have never used it).

    John

  3. Re: Can't login using GUI - Newb alert

    On Sep 7, 9:57*pm, "gonehiking2...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > I'm very new to all this, so keep that in mind. I recently installed
    > VMWare Workstation 6.0 and Suse v11.0. Initially, I could run SUSE no
    > problem (without ever being prompted to login). However, tonight I now
    > have started getting prompted to login with my username and password.
    > When I enter the info, it displays a screen full of info so fast I
    > can't read it. Then, it goes back to the login window.
    >
    > I AM able to go into the console and log in with my username and
    > password, so I know I have that right (and I am NOT trying to log into
    > the GUI with my root password). Any ideas (1) why it's doing this, and
    > (2) why when I first installed SUSE that it never prompted me for a
    > username and password, but now it is?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Andy

    =============================

    One more thing to add. I was able to capture what was being displayed
    using Camtasia. The screen full info is actually SUSE starting up all
    the services (e.g. PC portmap daemon, service kdm, Cron daemon etc.).

    One of the last lines is "Starting Avahi DNS configurination
    daemonstartproc: exit status of parent of /usr/bin/sbin/avahi-
    dnsconfd: 1", which shows as failed.

    Also, the last line of status messages is "failed services in runlevel
    5: avahi-dnsconfd.

    Does this help explain what's going on? Can anyone help me with this?

    Thanks in advance,

    Andy

  4. Re: Can't login using GUI - Newb alert

    On Sep 8, 1:09*am, John Bowling wrote:
    > gonehiking2...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I'm very new to all this, so keep that in mind. I recently installed
    > > VMWare Workstation 6.0 and Suse v11.0. Initially, I could run SUSE no
    > > problem (without ever being prompted to login). However, tonight I now
    > > have started getting prompted to login with my username and password.
    > > When I enter the info, it displays a screen full of info so fast I
    > > can't read it. Then, it goes back to the login window.

    > > I AM able to go into the console and log in with my username and
    > > password, so I know I have that right (and I am NOT trying to log into
    > > the GUI with my root password). Any ideas (1) why it's doing this, and
    > > (2) why when I first installed SUSE that it never prompted me for a
    > > username and password, but now it is?

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > > Andy

    > There is a setting under Yast -> security and users -> users and group
    > administration -> expert options -> login settings -> auto login (checked
    > for no login required).
    >
    > Don't know if that would have any effect on all the screen of data - there
    > may be an X windows setting that is causing problems or it may be the
    > VMWare stuff (I have never used it).
    >
    > John

    Thanks for the feedback John. Unfortunately, I'm not even getting to
    the point where I can view the YaST settings. I posted some additional
    info today that might help solve this problem.

    Andy

  5. Re: Can't login using GUI - Newb alert

    gonehiking2008@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for the feedback John. Unfortunately, I'm not even getting to
    > the point where I can view the YaST settings. I posted some additional
    > info today that might help solve this problem.

    Things can become a bit complicated, because you use VMware. It could be
    that some key bindings will not be transfered to the virtual machine.

    On that, here the default information on getting your GUI to work:

    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.
    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  6. Re: Can't login using GUI - Newb alert

    gonehiking2008@gmail.com turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > I'm very new to all this, so keep that in mind. I recently installed
    > VMWare Workstation 6.0 and Suse v11.0. Initially, I could run SUSE no
    > problem (without ever being prompted to login). However, tonight I now
    > have started getting prompted to login with my username and password.
    > When I enter the info, it displays a screen full of info so fast I
    > can't read it. Then, it goes back to the login window.
    >
    > I AM able to go into the console and log in with my username and
    > password, so I know I have that right (and I am NOT trying to log into
    > the GUI with my root password). Any ideas (1) why it's doing this, and
    > (2) why when I first installed SUSE that it never prompted me for a
    > username and password, but now it is?

    There is probably something failing in runlevel 5 - the gui.

    You'll need to start in rulevel 3 - command line.

    At the boot splash screen, you can type "init 3" for options prior to
    continuing.

    Then you go ahead and login as yourself. You should be able to get in.

    If not, then try runlevel 1 - type "init 1" at the options line.

    Since you appear to be having an issue with your DNS - then you can try and
    run the avahidnsconfd program (http://linux.die.net/man/8/avahi-dnsconfd).
    You'll need to do this as root, so type su, then enter, then your root
    password. Then type avahi-dnsconfd.

    Let us know what happens.