FLV to SWF converter - Suse

This is a discussion on FLV to SWF converter - Suse ; Does anyone know of a utility that will convert a Flash Video *.FLV that shows with Windows add-on programs like "NERO Showtime" to a typical Flash Video *.SWF that will show on the typical browser flash plugin? Thanks, Paul --...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. FLV to SWF converter

    --

  2. Re: FLV to SWF converter

    PaulRS wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a utility that will convert a Flash Video *.FLV
    > that shows with Windows add-on programs like "NERO Showtime" to a
    > typical Flash Video *.SWF that will show on the typical browser flash
    > plugin?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    Google flv2swf

    Finds you a perl module, among a lot of rubbish:

    http://search.cpan.org/~cdolan/FLV-Info/bin/flv2swf

    Michel

  3. Re: FLV to SWF converter

    PaulRS wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a utility that will convert a Flash Video *.FLV
    > that shows with Windows add-on programs like "NERO Showtime" to a
    > typical Flash Video *.SWF that will show on the typical browser flash
    > plugin?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    If you have Windows available than I can recommend FLV-to-video
    converter from Moyea software. (but it isn't free, tough)

  4. Re: FLV to SWF converter

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 01:59:06 UTC, dillinger
    wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    > > Does anyone know of a utility that will convert a Flash Video *.FLV
    > > that shows with Windows add-on programs like "NERO Showtime" to a
    > > typical Flash Video *.SWF that will show on the typical browser flash
    > > plugin?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul

    > Google flv2swf
    >
    > Finds you a perl module, among a lot of rubbish:
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/~cdolan/FLV-Info/bin/flv2swf
    >
    > Michel

    Thanks for the URL. I downloaded the package, dissolved the tar and
    tried to run it. It FAILED to run with several very "cryptic"
    comments. I am not "savy" enough in linux to figure out what is
    wrong. I have a default installation of SuSE 10.3 with some extra
    multimedia stuff. I am assuming that I need stuff from "Perl" buit
    know nothing about what to add. If you have used this
    program/package, I could use a short tuitorial on what to add/do next.
    I dissolved the tar into my home directory, but then (by
    experimentation) moved the "FLV" folder to the
    /usr/lib/perl5/perl5.8.8 directory. That got a new cryptic failure
    message that it was looking for an SWF folder (not included) and file.

    Any help here appreciated . . .

    Paul
    --

  5. Re: FLV to SWF converter

    PaulRS wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 01:59:06 UTC, dillinger
    > wrote:
    >
    >> PaulRS wrote:
    >> > Does anyone know of a utility that will convert a Flash Video *.FLV
    >> > that shows with Windows add-on programs like "NERO Showtime" to a
    >> > typical Flash Video *.SWF that will show on the typical browser flash
    >> > plugin?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Paul

    >> Google flv2swf
    >>
    >> Finds you a perl module, among a lot of rubbish:
    >>
    >> http://search.cpan.org/~cdolan/FLV-Info/bin/flv2swf
    >>
    >> Michel

    > Thanks for the URL. I downloaded the package, dissolved the tar and
    > tried to run it. It FAILED to run with several very "cryptic"
    > comments. I am not "savy" enough in linux to figure out what is
    > wrong. I have a default installation of SuSE 10.3 with some extra
    > multimedia stuff. I am assuming that I need stuff from "Perl" buit
    > know nothing about what to add. If you have used this
    > program/package, I could use a short tuitorial on what to add/do next.
    > I dissolved the tar into my home directory, but then (by
    > experimentation) moved the "FLV" folder to the
    > /usr/lib/perl5/perl5.8.8 directory. That got a new cryptic failure
    > message that it was looking for an SWF folder (not included) and file.
    >
    > Any help here appreciated . . .
    >
    > Paul
    > --

    your description is 'cryptic' as well. But this is the method to use.

    1. Extract the package
    2. In a terminal cd (change directory) to the folder created in step #1
    3. type perl Makefile.PL
    4. This will spit out some lines about what perl packages need to be
    installed. Go to the CPAN search site and cut & paste each missing package
    into the search field and click on the search result to go to the package
    download for each item. Download each item.

    http://search.cpan.org/

    The items I was missing were:

    1.AMF::Perl (AMF-Perl-0.15.tar.gz)
    2.Readonly (Readonly-1.03.tar.gz)
    3. SWF::File (SWF-File-0.42.tar.gz)

    So download whatever the script says your missing. Unpack each one, one at
    a time. Run 'perl Makefile.PL' for each one...

    BUT !!! That aint' all folks. You'll find out that for each missing
    perl program there may/will be more missing perl programs. You'll have to
    methodically download and install each one until you are finished...

    Once you are done THEN you will have your original FLV to SWF converter...

    I'll finish this up and let you know what happens but that is the process
    necessary to do it......

    ;-)

    P.S. Not for the timid. Many perl programs will be needed ! Be patient
    and you CAN DO IT...

  6. Re: FLV to SWF converter

    -----------------------------snip-------------------------------
    > P.S. Not for the timid. Many perl programs will be needed ! Be patient
    > and you CAN DO IT...

    Forgot to mention after running 'perl Makefile.PL' then run 'make' then as
    root (su or sudo) run 'make install' to install each package...

    When you complete everything then there will be no need to manually place
    packages in any location as you apparently did. That is not advisable.
    Just run make install as root and everything will be installed in your perl
    site folder automagically...

  7. Re: FLV to SWF converter

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> PaulRS wrote:

    > -----------------------------snip-------------------------------
    >> P.S. Not for the timid. Many perl programs will be needed ! Be patient
    >> and you CAN DO IT...

    > Forgot to mention after running 'perl Makefile.PL' then run 'make' then
    > as
    > root (su or sudo) run 'make install' to install each package...
    >
    > When you complete everything then there will be no need to manually place
    > packages in any location as you apparently did. That is not advisable.
    > Just run make install as root and everything will be installed in your
    > perl site folder automagically...

    O.K. I just completed this and it wasn't so bad. I needed about 7 or 8
    packages from CPAN but you may need more as I already have installed a lot
    of perl packages on this system. It only took me about 10 minutes to get
    everything done. When installing the last package I DID see the FLV to SWF
    package get installed so it all worked...

    Not so bad once you've done it a few...thousand times over the years...

    ;-) ;-)

    Just leave your browser open at the CPAN search site while your doing this
    so you can quickly search for all the prerequisites as you go.

    Really, this wasn't nearly as bad as some other packages I've tried as it
    only took a relatively small number of packages.

    Good luck...

  8. Re: FLV to SWF converter

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Michael Soibelman wrote:-

    >PaulRS wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 01:59:06 UTC, dillinger
    >> wrote:

    >>> Google flv2swf
    >>>
    >>> Finds you a perl module, among a lot of rubbish:
    >>>
    >>> http://search.cpan.org/~cdolan/FLV-Info/bin/flv2swf

    >your description is 'cryptic' as well. But this is the method to use.

    Or at least it is one of them. You can use "cpan" which will download
    and install the dependencies as it goes along.

    Another suggestion is to search the build service to see if anyone has
    created a package ready to install. This should be sufficient:

    And should now return packages suitable for virtually all the RPM based
    distros :-)

    > BUT !!! That aint' all folks. You'll find out that for each missing
    >perl program there may/will be more missing perl programs. You'll have to
    >methodically download and install each one until you are finished...

    When I did it, I only needed these packages:

    AMF-Perl
    Class-Data-Inheritable
    Data-TemporaryBag
    Devel-StackTrace
    Exception-Class
    FLV-Info
    List-MoreUtils
    Readonly
    SWF-File

    >Once you are done THEN you will have your original FLV to SWF converter...

    And an SWF to FLV convertor, .

    >P.S. Not for the timid. Many perl programs will be needed ! Be patient
    >and you CAN DO IT...

    This is where using cpan to download and install the Perl modules comes
    in very handy. After setting it up, which as almost all done by pressing
    return at the prompts[0], using the command:

    install FLV::Info

    resulted in the source being downloaded. After that, it checked for the
    dependencies and gave me this:

    Warning: prerequisite AMF::Perl 0.15 not found.
    Warning: prerequisite List::MoreUtils 0 not found.
    Warning: prerequisite Readonly 0 not found.
    Warning: prerequisite SWF::File 0.033 not found.
    Writing Makefile for FLV::Info
    ---- Unsatisfied dependencies detected during [C/CD/CDOLAN/FLV-Info-0.19.tar.gz] -----
    AMF::Perl
    SWF::File
    List::MoreUtils
    Readonly
    Shall I follow them and prepend them to the queue
    of modules we are processing right now? [yes]
    Running make test
    Delayed until after prerequisites
    Running make install
    Delayed until after prerequisites
    Running install for module AMF::Perl

    After which it then asked about installing the dependency
    Exception::Class, and its dependencies, Class:ata::Inheritable and
    Devel::StackTrace. It then got back to SWF::File, and the missing
    dependency Data::TemporaryBag, before finally getting back to installing
    FLV::Info.

    [0] Running it as root lets you do site-wide installations, but for
    user-only modules you should set PREFIX to ~/perl. This may or may not
    work and, as I've only used it as root, can't say with any certainty if
    it will.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  9. Re: FLV to SWF converter

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>
    >>> PaulRS wrote:

    >> -----------------------------snip-------------------------------
    >>> P.S. Not for the timid. Many perl programs will be needed ! Be patient
    >>> and you CAN DO IT...

    >> Forgot to mention after running 'perl Makefile.PL' then run 'make' then
    >> as
    >> root (su or sudo) run 'make install' to install each package...
    >>
    >> When you complete everything then there will be no need to manually place
    >> packages in any location as you apparently did. That is not advisable.
    >> Just run make install as root and everything will be installed in your
    >> perl site folder automagically...

    > O.K. I just completed this and it wasn't so bad. I needed about 7 or 8
    > packages from CPAN but you may need more as I already have installed a lot
    > of perl packages on this system. It only took me about 10 minutes to get
    > everything done. When installing the last package I DID see the FLV to SWF
    > package get installed so it all worked...
    >
    > Not so bad once you've done it a few...thousand times over the years...
    >
    > ;-) ;-)
    >
    > Just leave your browser open at the CPAN search site while your doing this
    > so you can quickly search for all the prerequisites as you go.
    >
    > Really, this wasn't nearly as bad as some other packages I've tried as it
    > only took a relatively small number of packages.
    >
    > Good luck...

    Actually, you can let cpan do all (or most) of that for you:

    Open a konsole

    su - (sudo may work too)
    cpan (let it autoconfigure)
    i /FLV-Info/ (find your package)
    install FLV-Info-0.19.tar.gz (confirm adding missing packages)
    exit (quit cpan)

    That's it, now you can use
    flv2swf [options] file.flv file.swf
    to convert your files.