Plaintext Passwords - Suse

This is a discussion on Plaintext Passwords - Suse ; I just bought my first Linux computer, a laptop, with SUSE 10.1 . I am having a couple of problems that I think are related. When I try to download pop mail, the mail server never likes my password. When ...

  1. Plaintext Passwords

    I just bought my first Linux computer, a laptop, with SUSE 10.1 . I am
    having a couple of problems that I think are related.

    When I try to download pop mail, the mail server never likes my
    password. When I try to connect to my linksys wireless router (which
    can connect to other non-password entrace wireless networks) it does
    not like my password. I know I'm typing it in correctly.

    I read somewhere that SUSE doesn't allow plaintext passwords. I went
    through Yast and only found one reference in postfix which allows a
    noplaintext option, but it's not set that way, and it only affects the
    email, not the router situation.

    I've also tried two different pop servers and neither likes my
    passwords so although there is plenty of talk of Linux pop problems
    with Gmail for instince, I'm thinking it's my laptop.

    Can anyone help?

    Brad

  2. Re: Plaintext Passwords

    bdweiner@optonline.net wrote:

    > I just bought my first Linux computer, a laptop, with SUSE 10.1 . I am
    > having a couple of problems that I think are related.
    >
    > When I try to download pop mail, the mail server never likes my
    > password. When I try to connect to my linksys wireless router (which
    > can connect to other non-password entrace wireless networks) it does
    > not like my password. I know I'm typing it in correctly.
    >
    > I read somewhere that SUSE doesn't allow plaintext passwords. I went
    > through Yast and only found one reference in postfix which allows a
    > noplaintext option, but it's not set that way, and it only affects the
    > email, not the router situation.
    >
    > I've also tried two different pop servers and neither likes my
    > passwords so although there is plenty of talk of Linux pop problems
    > with Gmail for instince, I'm thinking it's my laptop.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Brad

    I've been using Thunderbird with gmail and a half dozen other pop emails
    from 9.0 on to 11.0 and never experienced a problem that was not my own
    making. I also have a Linksys router/proxy/firewall that interfaces the
    internal net to a cable modem, and I have been able to log into it from day
    one with all those different openSUSE versions.

    For Internet services outside of the local desktop/laptop, no OS can control
    what type or format of password is required. openSUSE does encrypt
    internal passwords for user/root access to the system and for secure
    services. Passwords to get into an external mail server, such as gmail,
    will be either entered at login time to that remote service, or forwarded
    from the stored settings of firefox, thunderbird, etc if enabled.

    Given that this was a prior owner system, I would recommend that you wipe
    out all passwords that are there, yours and from the previous owner, for
    those services (how depends of the software package) so that they are not
    there interfering with your passwords, and then redo all of your usernames
    and passwords.

    Also, 10.1 is no longer being updated, so an upgrade to 11.0 would be in
    order. Make sure you save any user data first. Any reformat of the /
    partition will wipe out any prior system passwords and let you enter new
    ones. If not currently a small partition (4-10g) make it small using
    expert partitioning and make a separate /home partition so you don't wipe
    it all with a future install.

    John

  3. Re: Plaintext Passwords

    В Понедельник 08 сентября 2008 00:10, bdweiner@optonline.net писал:
    > I read somewhere that SUSE doesn't allow plaintext passwords. I went
    > through Yast and only found one reference in postfix which allows a
    > noplaintext option, but it's not set that way, and it only affects the
    > email, not the router situation.

    Postfix is an email server, I doubt you use it on your laptop.
    There is no such thing like "the system forbids any plain-text password anywhere". You probably read somewhere that OpenSUSE doesn't store his /etc/shadow passwords in plain-text. That's all.

    There are few possibilities:
    1. You are mistyping your password,
    2. You don't know what your password is (or it has changed and you don't know - or forgot - about that),
    3. Your keyboard is different from that one which you used before (say, you used an AZERTY one, and now OpenSUSE has been installed by default with QWERTY, etc...)

    I suggest you to type first your password in kwrite (that way you will see what you types), and then copy/paste it anywhere you want.

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

+ Reply to Thread