Command line to GUI troubles... - Suse

This is a discussion on Command line to GUI troubles... - Suse ; Using openSuse 11.0 & KDE, I logged out & into one of the other GUI managers (don't remember, it's been so long-- not gnome). This window manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE. In ...

  1. Command line to GUI troubles...

    Using openSuse 11.0 & KDE, I logged out & into one of the other GUI managers (don't remember, it's been so long--
    not gnome). This window manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE.

    In command mode, I cannot start KDE

    xset: unable to open display ''''
    xprop: same thing
    xsetroot: ditto

    Where I think I have made another window-manager the default, I need to change that in a command line, but I am
    running up against this limitation. None of my reference books are helpful.

    I don't mind editing, but if you have a quick place for me to go to reintroduce KDE as the default again--I'd love to see
    my mail today!

    Thanks for reading...

  2. Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

    Pete Puma wrote:
    > Using openSuse 11.0 & KDE, I logged out & into one of the other GUI managers (don't remember, it's been so long--
    > not gnome). This window manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE.
    >
    > In command mode, I cannot start KDE
    >
    > xset: unable to open display ''''
    > xprop: same thing
    > xsetroot: ditto
    >
    > Where I think I have made another window-manager the default, I need to change that in a command line, but I am
    > running up against this limitation. None of my reference books are helpful.
    >
    > I don't mind editing, but if you have a quick place for me to go to reintroduce KDE as the default again--I'd love to see
    > my mail today!

    Quick solution:
    [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    Log in as root
    init 3
    init 5 && exit
    Select KDE

    Longer answer
    [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    Log in as root
    init 3
    yast
    There you go (User [TAB] to go from one place to another) to System,
    /etc/sysconfig Editor
    In there you go to Dektop, Window Manager, DEFAULT_WM and set it to KDE
    init 5 && exit

    Even longer answer
    [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    Log in as root
    init 3
    edit /etc/sysconfig
    run SuSEconfig
    init 5 && exit

    This all asuming that bot X and KDE are still working. If nothing
    happens then the following:

    Quick solution:
    [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    log in as *user*
    startx kde

    And see what happens

    houghi
    | Artist : Pink Floyd
    | Song : Waiting For The Worms
    | Album : The Wall

  3. Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 00:09:01 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Pete Puma wrote:
    >> Using openSuse 11.0 & KDE, I logged out & into one of the other GUI
    >> managers (don't remember, it's been so long-- not gnome). This window
    >> manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE.
    >>
    >> In command mode, I cannot start KDE
    >>
    >> xset: unable to open display ''''
    >> xprop: same thing
    >> xsetroot: ditto
    >>
    >> Where I think I have made another window-manager the default, I need to
    >> change that in a command line, but I am running up against this
    >> limitation. None of my reference books are helpful.
    >>
    >> I don't mind editing, but if you have a quick place for me to go to
    >> reintroduce KDE as the default again--I'd love to see my mail today!
    >>

    > Quick solution:
    > [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    > Log in as root
    > init 3
    > init 5 && exit
    > Select KDE
    >
    > Longer answer
    > [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    > Log in as root
    > init 3
    > yast
    > There you go (User [TAB] to go from one place to another) to System,
    > /etc/sysconfig Editor
    > In there you go to Dektop, Window Manager, DEFAULT_WM and set it to KDE
    > init 5 && exit
    >
    > Even longer answer
    > [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    > Log in as root
    > init 3
    > edit /etc/sysconfig
    > run SuSEconfig
    > init 5 && exit
    >
    > This all asuming that bot X and KDE are still working. If nothing
    > happens then the following:
    >
    > Quick solution:
    > [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    > log in as *user*
    > startx kde
    >
    > And see what happens
    >
    > houghi

    Thanks for the post.
    Followed each example, still white cursor (arrow) on black remains. Reinstalled in Yast did not help.

    Have a feeling I may be logged in twice perhaps? If so, is one in charge of/or blocking the non-preferred win
    manager? I don't know if this is even possible...

    Typing "users" =
    Pete Pete

    No other accounts on this system (I think...).

  4. Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

    Pete Puma wrote:
    >> This all asuming that bot X and KDE are still working. If nothing
    >> happens then the following:
    >>
    >> Quick solution:
    >> [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    >> log in as *user*
    >> startx kde
    >>
    >> And see what happens
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Thanks for the post.
    > Followed each example, still white cursor (arrow) on black remains. Reinstalled in Yast did not help.
    >
    > Have a feeling I may be logged in twice perhaps? If so, is one in charge of/or blocking the non-preferred win
    > manager? I don't know if this is even possible...
    >
    > Typing "users" =
    > Pete Pete
    >
    > No other accounts on this system (I think...).

    OK, then go to [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    log in as root
    do `init 3`
    start `yast` and add a new user "test"
    do [CTRL][ALT][F2] and log in with the user "test"
    do `startx kde` and see what happens

    houghi
    | Artist : Within Temptation
    | Song : The Heart Of Everything
    | Album : The Heart Of Everything

  5. Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

    В Пятница 05 сентября 2008 22:23, Pete Puma писал:
    > Using openSuse 11.0 & KDE, I logged out & into one of the other GUI
    > managers (don't remember, it's been so long-- not gnome). This window
    > manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE.

    I never had to use any command line for that. When you are logging in (with
    KDM), you have a link in the lower left corner of the screen,
    named "Session type". Just click on it, select "KDE", and log in... (at
    least that's the way which works for me).

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  6. Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:31:16 +0200, Mateusz Viste wrote:

    > В Пятница 05 сентября 2008 22:23, Pete Puma писал:
    >> Using openSuse 11.0 & KDE, I logged out & into one of the other GUI
    >> managers (don't remember, it's been so long-- not gnome). This window
    >> manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE.

    > I never had to use any command line for that. When you are logging in
    > (with KDM), you have a link in the lower left corner of the screen,
    > named "Session type". Just click on it, select "KDE", and log in... (at
    > least that's the way which works for me).
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Mateusz Viste

    Precisely how I got into this trouble. I changed my window manager in the session pop-up to ICEwm (as I was
    demonstrating the merits of Suse to a new XP convert I had just installed!), and I get a black screen with a white
    arrow. Go there at your own peril.

    I think I have 4 choices:
    1. What Houghi last suggested
    2. Install KDE 4, get back to session manager
    3. Use spare CPU to get info & learn how to pilot ICEWM into the session manager.
    4. Remove ICE and see where Suse puts me.

    Thanks for hanging with me guys--I'll report back.

  7. Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

    Pete Puma wrote:
    > Precisely how I got into this trouble. I changed my window manager in the session pop-up to ICEwm (as I was
    > demonstrating the merits of Suse to a new XP convert I had just installed!), and I get a black screen with a white
    > arrow. Go there at your own peril.

    I have learned long ago to NEVER show anything as a showoff that I have
    not tried and retried before. And if it is not something I do on a
    regular basis, I take screenshots or record a movie.

    e.g some neat thing. The `date` command is done as soon as the result is
    shown.
    http://houghi.org/shots/slides/time001.php

    Or http://houghi.org/shots/slides/vim001_gif_orig.php which shows a nice
    vim extention

    Or
    http://houghi.org/shots/slides/quasi...6_jpg_orig.php
    which shows the people who I am forced to live with.

    houghi
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Primavera
    | Album : Supernatural

  8. Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

    houghi wrote:

    > Pete Puma wrote:
    >>> This all asuming that bot X and KDE are still working. If nothing
    >>> happens then the following:
    >>>
    >>> Quick solution:
    >>> [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    >>> log in as *user*
    >>> startx kde
    >>>
    >>> And see what happens
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >> Thanks for the post.
    >> Followed each example, still white cursor (arrow) on black remains.
    >> Reinstalled in Yast did not help.
    >>
    >> Have a feeling I may be logged in twice perhaps? If so, is one in charge
    >> of/or blocking the non-preferred win manager? I don't know if this is even
    >> possible...
    >>
    >> Typing "users" =
    >> Pete Pete
    >>
    >> No other accounts on this system (I think...).

    > OK, then go to [CTRL][ALT][F1]
    > log in as root
    > do `init 3`
    > start `yast` and add a new user "test"
    > do [CTRL][ALT][F2] and log in with the user "test"
    > do `startx kde` and see what happens
    >
    > houghi

    The New User added in Yast immediately queried me to remove the auto-login
    for my normal access, which I quickly did. I rebooted.
    A quick pit stop at Suse's Log-In/Session screen & problem solved from here.
    (Problem started here, too!)

    Cheers & thanks for hanging with this...

+ Reply to Thread