Completing Installation openSUSE 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on Completing Installation openSUSE 11.0 - Suse ; I am new to LINUX. I have Vista Home Premium on one 500 GB hard disk and and want to install OpenSuse 11 on the other 160 GB hard disk on my computer. I want dual boot. My questions is ...

  1. Completing Installation openSUSE 11.0

    I am new to LINUX. I have Vista Home Premium on one 500 GB hard disk
    and and want to install OpenSuse 11 on the other 160 GB hard disk on
    my computer. I want dual boot. My questions is once the install
    process gets to "Create Partition Setup" and I execute looking to
    complete to install, what should I do to assure that I will be able
    to dual boot while at the same time using the entire 160 GB drive for
    SUSE? That is what to click and not click.

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Completing Installation openSUSE 11.0

    a long time ago on a planet far away it was noted that Windows[tm] NT
    didn't work and play well with other kids...the same seems to be true
    with Vista..

    ideally, with the as shipped v 11 install routine it would be drop
    dead easy to do exactly what you wish....and, i guess it is, if you
    are prepared....i suggest you read here:

    http://forums.opensuse.org/how-faq-r...all-guide.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/6mu7rm

    http://forums.opensuse.org/install-b...ease-read.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/3vwrzl

    http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtoboot.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/5eqy8k

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE

  3. Re: Completing Installation openSUSE 11.0

    wfain@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am new to LINUX. I have Vista Home Premium on one 500 GB hard disk
    > and and want to install OpenSuse 11 on the other 160 GB hard disk on
    > my computer. I want dual boot. My questions is once the install
    > process gets to "Create Partition Setup" and I execute looking to
    > complete to install, what should I do to assure that I will be able
    > to dual boot while at the same time using the entire 160 GB drive for
    > SUSE? That is what to click and not click.

    The moment you get to see all the details of the installation (looks
    like
    http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/e...-install15.png)
    you see if the partitioning is done right. i.e. it shows to format the
    correct drive and does not format the windows drive. If that is not the
    case, then click on the Partitioning, where you will get the option to
    use what drive.

    If your second drive is completely empty, it will most likely select
    that automagically and it is mostly just clicking OK.

    Best select KDE 3.5 or GNOME as KDE4 is not realy intended for the
    beginner.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren

  4. Re: Completing Installation openSUSE 11.0

    houghi wrote:

    > Best select KDE 3.5 or GNOME as KDE4 is not realy intended for the
    > beginner.

    That's an understatement. It's intended for alpha-testing. That's the
    best one can say about it. SCNR.

    --
    Hendrik van Hees Institut für Theoretische Physik
    Phone: +49 641 99-33342 Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen

  5. Re: Completing Installation openSUSE 11.0

    Hendrik van Hees wrote:
    >> Best select KDE 3.5 or GNOME as KDE4 is not realy intended for the
    >> beginner.

    > That's an understatement. It's intended for alpha-testing. That's the
    > best one can say about it. SCNR.

    The best one can say about it, it that it is KDE. To me it is the same
    crap in differnt paper. (Unlike GNOME, which is different crap in the
    same paper)

    Even though that is extremely easy to do, it is not wise to let somebody
    who has never worked with Linux, start with an update.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren