Soundblaster X-Fi - Suse

This is a discussion on Soundblaster X-Fi - Suse ; Has anyone managed to get Creative's beta drivers for their X-Fi cards working with OpenSUSE 11? It gets to the point where it's running make, and spits this out: config.status: creating Makefile.conf make: *** [all] Error 2 make: *** [install] ...

  1. Soundblaster X-Fi

    Has anyone managed to get Creative's beta drivers for their X-Fi cards
    working with OpenSUSE 11?

    It gets to the point where it's running make, and spits this out:

    config.status: creating Makefile.conf
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    Installation Unsuccessful

    Does anyone know what that means? Has someone maybe put together a working
    OpenSUSE rpm of these drivers that puts compiled files in the right places?

    In case it helps, here's the rest of the output that the installer gave
    while doing its thing:

    Installation is in progress. Please wait...
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for egrep... grep -E
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for inline... inline
    checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
    checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
    checking for current directory... /opt/Creative/XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18/drivers
    checking cross compile...
    checking for directory with kernel
    source... /lib/modules/2.6.25.11-0.1-default/source
    checking for directory with kernel
    build... /lib/modules/2.6.25.11-0.1-default/build
    checking for directory with ALSA include
    files... /lib/modules/2.6.25.11-0.1-default/source/include
    checking for kernel linux/version.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/autoconf.h... yes
    checking for kernel version... 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
    checking for GCC version... Kernel compiler: Used compiler: gcc (SUSE
    Linux) 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036]

    *** NO PREDEFINED KERNEL COMPILER IS DETECTED
    *** Assuming the same compiler is used with the current system compiler.

    *** Please make sure that the same compiler version was used for building
    kernel.

    checking for built-in ALSA... no
    checking for existing ALSA module... yes
    checking to modify of kernel linux/kmod.h... no
    checking for kernel linux/compiler.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/pm.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/spinlock.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/irq.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/threads.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/rwsem.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/gameport.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h... no
    Creating a dummy ...
    checking for kernel linux/highmem.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/workqueue.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/dma-mapping.h... yes
    checking for kernel asm/hw_irq.h... no
    Creating a dummy ...
    checking for kernel linux/device.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/platform_device.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/jiffies.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/compat.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/adb.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/cuda.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/pmu.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/moduleparam.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/syscalls.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/firmware.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/err.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/bitmap.h... yes
    checking for kernel linux/mutex.h... yes
    checking for kernel module symbol versions... yes
    checking for PCI support in kernel... yes
    checking for I2C driver in kernel... module
    checking for firmware loader... module
    checking for input subsystem in kernel... yes
    checking for directory to store kernel
    modules... /lib/modules/2.6.25.11-0.1-default/kernel/sound
    checking for ISA support in kernel... no
    checking for processor type... x86_64
    checking for ISA DMA API... yes
    checking for 32bit compat support... yes
    checking for SMP... yes
    checking for Video device support in kernel... yes
    checking for strlcpy... no
    checking for snprintf... no
    checking for vsnprintf... no
    checking for scnprintf... no
    checking for sscanf... no
    checking for vmalloc_to_page... no
    checking for old kmod... yes
    checking for PDE... no
    checking for pci_set_consistent_dma_mask... no
    checking for pci_dev_present... no
    checking for msleep... no
    checking for msecs_to_jiffies... no
    checking for tty->count is the atomic type... no
    checking for video_get_drvdata... no
    checking for io_remap_pfn_range... no
    checking for new io_remap_page_range... no
    checking for kcalloc... no
    checking for kstrdup... no
    checking for kzalloc... no
    checking for create_workqueue with flags... no
    checking for saved_config_space in pci_dev... no
    checking for register_sound_special_device... no
    checking for RTC callback support in kernel... no
    checking for HPET support... yes
    checking for Procfs support... yes
    checking for class_simple... no
    checking for old driver suspend/resume callbacks... no
    checking for removal of page-reservation for nopage/mmap... no
    checking for nested class_device... no
    checking for new unlocked/compat_ioctl... no
    configure: creating ./config.status

  2. Re: Soundblaster X-Fi

    On 2008-09-03 04:57, Paul in Toronto wrote:
    > Has anyone managed to get Creative's beta drivers for their X-Fi cards
    > working with OpenSUSE 11?

    Why even try? the x-fi card has evil DRM included.

    Make up your mind if you like hardware that is hostile to you and
    made to track you or control you.

    For myself I just removed it and changed the cables to the motherboard sound.
    Don't let them get away with it (DRM) , think about the future.

    /bb

  3. Re: Soundblaster X-Fi

    On Sep 3, 3:25*am, bb wrote:
    > On 2008-09-03 04:57, Paul in Toronto wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone managed to get Creative's beta drivers for their X-Fi cards
    > > working with OpenSUSE 11?

    > Why even try? the x-fi card has evil DRM included.
    >
    > Make up your mind if you like hardware that is hostile to you and
    > made to track you or control you.
    >
    > For myself I just removed it and changed the cables to the motherboard sound.
    > Don't let them get away with it (DRM) , think about the future.

    Interesting reply , but from the perspective of actually answering my
    question, not very useful...

  4. Re: Soundblaster X-Fi

    On 2008-09-03 20:10, swampyfern@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 3, 3:25 am, bb wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-03 04:57, Paul in Toronto wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone managed to get Creative's beta drivers for their X-Fi cards
    >>> working with OpenSUSE 11?

    >> Why even try? the x-fi card has evil DRM included.
    >>
    >> Make up your mind if you like hardware that is hostile to you and
    >> made to track you or control you.
    >>
    >> For myself I just removed it and changed the cables to the motherboard sound.
    >> Don't let them get away with it (DRM) , think about the future.

    > Interesting reply , but from the perspective of actually answering my
    > question, not very useful...

    The answer was that the "features" in that hardware is not made to serve you,
    but to serve RIAA and MPA so they can restrict what your computer can do.

    Things can be a bit deeper then just try to get things to work.

    If you really will do something for FOSS , return the card and claim it's faulty
    since it don't work for your operating system.

    Selling hardware like this should be illegal, but it's very hard to make the
    problem visible if the owner do hacks to solve the problem their way, and
    using the working software can be illegal in USA for example, if they find it
    bypass the build-in copy restrictions.
    The day Microsoft manage to clean Internet from XP (if they ever can) , Vista
    (and followers in the palladium family) will show it's real face, and the X-FI
    card will show it's for now hidden features.

    The thing is a part of the AACS license agreement, in this case the "Plugging
    the analog hole" section. And the members are the biggest enemies to free and
    open software, and if you ask for help to drag it in
    to your home, my answer is maybe not for you, but to the linux groups in general.

    Choose your future

    This:
    http://www.linuxmce.org/

    or this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...Content_System

    /bb

  5. Re: Soundblaster X-Fi

    Paul in Toronto wrote:

    Please no topposting in this group.

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  6. Re: Soundblaster X-Fi

    Paul in Toronto wrote:
    > Right then... Are we done soapboxing? The system that I have OpenSUSE
    > installed on is (like all my boxes) a dual-boot Windows/Linux machine.

    openSUSE uses the ALSA drivers for sound. They don't support the x-fi.
    OSS4 (Open Sound System 4, http://www.opensound.com) does support it.
    That means you'll have to do quite some stuff to get it working.

  7. Re: Soundblaster X-Fi

    On Sep 5, 3:14*am, houghi wrote:
    > Paul in Toronto wrote:
    >

    > Please no topposting in this group.
    >
    > houghi

    Sorry about that. Honest mistake. I don't generally quote the entire
    post that I'm replying to in my message either. Thanks for the tip,
    though.

+ Reply to Thread