problems with "make" - Suse

This is a discussion on problems with "make" - Suse ; Hello, I work with 11.0 and gnome. It was installed from the live-cd. I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander. I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it. ../configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me ...

  1. problems with "make"

    Hello,

    I work with 11.0 and gnome.
    It was installed from the live-cd.

    I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander.
    I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it.
    ../configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me 'no target
    specified and no makefile found'.
    I suppose some files have not been installed but do not know which ones.
    I followed the instructions downloaded; may be they are not up to date.
    And i am not either up to date as far as making an executable file is
    concerned !!
    Can you guide me ?
    Thank you.

    JMR

  2. Re: problems with "make"

    JMR wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I work with 11.0 and gnome.
    > It was installed from the live-cd.
    >
    > I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander.
    > I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it.
    > ./configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me 'no target
    > specified and no makefile found'.
    > I suppose some files have not been installed but do not know which ones.
    > I followed the instructions downloaded; may be they are not up to date.
    > And i am not either up to date as far as making an executable file is
    > concerned !!
    > Can you guide me ?
    > Thank you.
    >
    > JMR

    Is there a make file and is it executable?

  3. Re: problems with "make"

    On 2008-09-02, JMR wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I work with 11.0 and gnome.
    > It was installed from the live-cd.

    > I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander.
    > I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it.
    > ./configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me 'no target
    > specified and no makefile found'.
    > I suppose some files have not been installed but do not know which ones.
    > I followed the instructions downloaded; may be they are not up to date.
    > And i am not either up to date as far as making an executable file is
    > concerned !!
    > Can you guide me ?
    > Thank you.

    > JMR

    Do you have CDPATH set in the shell? "Make" doesn't like that.

    -Bill
    --
    Sattre Press History of Astronomy
    http://sattre-press.com/ During the 19th Century

  4. Re: problems with "make"

    JMR wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I work with 11.0 and gnome.
    > It was installed from the live-cd.
    >
    > I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander.
    > I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it.
    > ./configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me 'no target
    > specified and no makefile found'.
    > I suppose some files have not been installed but do not know which ones.
    > I followed the instructions downloaded; may be they are not up to date.
    > And i am not either up to date as far as making an executable file is
    > concerned !!
    > Can you guide me ?
    > Thank you.
    >
    > JMR

    After you run './configure' please post the part after the mesasage:

    "Ready to build GNOME Commander 1.2.7"

    This will let us know if you have everything up to date.

  5. Re: problems with "make"

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > JMR wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I work with 11.0 and gnome.
    >> It was installed from the live-cd.
    >>
    >> I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander.
    >> I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it.
    >> ./configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me 'no target
    >> specified and no makefile found'.
    >> I suppose some files have not been installed but do not know which ones.
    >> I followed the instructions downloaded; may be they are not up to date.
    >> And i am not either up to date as far as making an executable file is
    >> concerned !!
    >> Can you guide me ?
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> JMR

    > After you run './configure' please post the part after the mesasage:
    >
    > "Ready to build GNOME Commander 1.2.7"
    >

    > This will let us know if you have everything up to date.

    By the way I just compiled it from source on 10.3 and installed without
    problems.. Great looking application.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: problems with "make"

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > By the way I just compiled it from source on 10.3 and installed without
    > problems.. Great looking application.

    I am still curious what the issues are with the version you get from
    openSUSE which is version 1.2.5. Yes, I saw what was updated in 1.2.6
    and 1.2.7. I am just curious for what of those reasons the person did an
    update.

    If none, just install it with YaST or use the one-click-install by
    looking for it at http://software.opensuse.org/search

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  7. Re: problems with "make"

    Michael Soibelman a écrit :
    > JMR wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I work with 11.0 and gnome.
    >> It was installed from the live-cd.
    >>
    >> I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander.
    >> I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it.
    >> ./configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me 'no target
    >> specified and no makefile found'.
    >> I suppose some files have not been installed but do not know which ones.
    >> I followed the instructions downloaded; may be they are not up to date.
    >> And i am not either up to date as far as making an executable file is
    >> concerned !!
    >> Can you guide me ?
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> JMR

    > After you run './configure' please post the part after the mesasage:
    >
    > "Ready to build GNOME Commander 1.2.7"
    >

    > This will let us know if you have everything up to date.

    Here are the messages :

    linux-52an:/home/jmr/download/gnome-commander-1.2.7 # ./configure
    checking for gawk... gawk
    configure: error: gnome-doc-utils >= 0.3.2 not found
    linux-52an:/home/jmr/download/gnome-commander-1.2.7 # make
    make: *** Pas de cibles spécifiées et aucun makefile n'a été trouvé. Arrêt.

    Hope that helps...
    Thank you.
    JMR

  8. Re: problems with "make"

    houghi a écrit :
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> By the way I just compiled it from source on 10.3 and installed without
    >> problems.. Great looking application.

    > I am still curious what the issues are with the version you get from
    > openSUSE which is version 1.2.5. Yes, I saw what was updated in 1.2.6
    > and 1.2.7. I am just curious for what of those reasons the person did an
    > update.
    >
    > If none, just install it with YaST or use the one-click-install by
    > looking for it at http://software.opensuse.org/search
    >
    > houghi

    Indeed i can work with 1.2.5. It is available in the suse soft.
    But the last version 1.2.7 allows to work as root which is interesting
    for me.

    So compiling 1.2.7 would also teach me something i do not master any more.

    JMR

  9. Re: problems with "make"

    JMR wrote:
    > Indeed i can work with 1.2.5. It is available in the suse soft.
    > But the last version 1.2.7 allows to work as root which is interesting
    > for me.

    I can understand that. Thanks for the feedback. That is indeed a feature
    that makes it worthwile to upgrade.

    > So compiling 1.2.7 would also teach me something i do not master any more.

    That obviously as well. I myself have not that much experience in
    compiling, other then typing `./configure && make && sudo checkinstall
    -bla`

    If that doesn't work, I have been able to often find the solution myself
    by reading the errormessages, see that some file is missing and then
    use `pin filename` to see what needs to be installed or look for it
    online.

    If all that fails, I most often give up.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle
    for code. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

  10. Re: problems with "make"

    JMR wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman a écrit :
    >> JMR wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I work with 11.0 and gnome.
    >>> It was installed from the live-cd.
    >>>
    >>> I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander.
    >>> I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it.
    >>> ./configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me 'no target
    >>> specified and no makefile found'.
    >>> I suppose some files have not been installed but do not know which ones.
    >>> I followed the instructions downloaded; may be they are not up to date.
    >>> And i am not either up to date as far as making an executable file is
    >>> concerned !!
    >>> Can you guide me ?
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> JMR

    >> After you run './configure' please post the part after the mesasage:
    >>
    >> "Ready to build GNOME Commander 1.2.7"
    >>

    >> This will let us know if you have everything up to date.

    > Here are the messages :
    >
    > linux-52an:/home/jmr/download/gnome-commander-1.2.7 # ./configure
    > checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
    > checking for gawk... gawk
    > checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
    > checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
    > configure: error: gnome-doc-utils >= 0.3.2 not found
    > linux-52an:/home/jmr/download/gnome-commander-1.2.7 # make
    > make: *** Pas de cibles spécifiées et aucun makefile n'a été trouvé.
    > Arrêt.
    >
    > Hope that helps...
    > Thank you.
    > JMR

    You didn't pay attention...

    I said post the part after the message

    "Ready to build GNOME Commander 1.2.7"

    which is toward the end of the configure script. But, oh well. It seems
    you've run into one failed dependency at the beginning of the script.
    Install gnome-doc-utils & gnome-doc-utils-devel. Repost your entire config
    script output so we can see what else is missing !

    You can stop reading beyond this point and post the output OR read more for
    some rambling thoughts below. Just some points of enlightenment.

    So the method to use is to run configure and read ALL the messages. Start
    with the first missing item and install what provides that. It takes some
    learning but after a while you'll learn which missing items really are
    required and which can (sometimes) be omitted. Even though configure may
    finish does not mean running make will work ! Make sure to carefully read
    the output of configure and solve the missing dependencies first. Even
    when you don't see something missing you still may run into trouble with
    make. Then you have to look at the output of make and see where
    the 'first' compiling error appears to see what caused that. Sometimes
    it's an incompatible version of some dependency..

    Compiling from source gets easier over time. Just a matter of ironing out
    one issue after another until you get to the end...

    P.S. As for Houghi's comment about using rpm's...
    Just trying to help you learn. I am not planning on using Gnome
    Commander. I just try to help a few people from time to time. It helps me
    learn too. So, whilst helping others install a piece of software I usually
    will install it myself first. That way I know exactly what issue(s) might
    crop up. Often I'll install something, help someone install it on their
    machine, and then uninstall it on mine. Though sometimes I find I like the
    program and keep it... I always try to find an rpm package in the repo's
    first, then go to rpm.pbone.net and look there and if those two places fail
    to provide the package I'll compile from source. Sometimes it is the only
    way to install a package but not very often at all.....

    :-)

  11. Re: problems with "make" (a step forward)

    JMR a écrit :
    > Hello,
    >
    > I work with 11.0 and gnome.
    > It was installed from the live-cd.
    >
    > I try to install the latest version of gnome-commander.
    > I downloaded the tar.gz program and unzipped it.
    > ./configure works but when i launch 'make' it tells me 'no target
    > specified and no makefile found'.
    > I suppose some files have not been installed but do not know which ones.
    > I followed the instructions downloaded; may be they are not up to date.
    > And i am not either up to date as far as making an executable file is
    > concerned !!
    > Can you guide me ?
    > Thank you.
    >
    > JMR

    I missed a lot of programs, it was what i suspected.
    I made ./configure many times and each time installed the missing packages.
    Finally i could compile and install gnome-commander.
    I actually have the possibility to open it but if i want do it as root
    i get the message in a window where i should type my password :

    Cannot find gksu or kdesu.

    Have you an idea to solve that?
    I tried in a terminal but no success...

    Thank you for the tips.