Clobbered X! how to recover? - Suse

This is a discussion on Clobbered X! how to recover? - Suse ; Did an install of a server SUSE 11.... started copying files to it & turned out I filled the system partition to max. Now I can still terminal to it but when X starts it comes up to a X ...

  1. Clobbered X! how to recover?

    Did an install of a server SUSE 11.... started copying files to it &
    turned out I filled the system partition to max.

    Now I can still terminal to it but when X starts it comes up to a X on a
    black & white screen & never
    gets to KDE.

    Deleted a bunch of files but X still never fully comes up.

    Anyone know of a way to get X back to normal?

    Also having a devil of a time getting Samba to share files with the new
    SUSE. Gave up- setup a new partition
    & made a new directory w/ chmod 777, no firewall, SAMBA guest OK & still
    can not get windows hosts to
    be able to access shares.

    Anyone have any suggestion? I'm sure I could just reinstall & get X
    back. Not sure if the new SUSE has some
    new Gotcha's with simple files shares.

    -Clint

  2. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:50:44 -0500, Clint wrote:

    > Now I can still terminal to it

    How does one terminal?

    I cannot find that verb in the dictionary.
    The closest I can find is "to terminate".

    > but when X starts it comes up to a X on a black & white screen & never
    > gets to KDE.

    That indicates that the X11 server is indeed starting but the display
    manager is either not running, is misconfigured, or the chooser/greeter
    program is not available (been deleted?) and so cannot respond to the
    X request to provide the chooser or greeter login screen.

    rpm -V kdebase3-kdm

    will tell you the state of the installed KDM package and indicate
    if it is installed and whether or not files are missing.

    Perhaps the simplest method to recover, would be to force a removal of
    the KDM package (if you are indeed using KDM as your display manager
    for KDE Desktop, as opposed to GDM, WDM, or XDM) and then do an immediate
    re-installation of the KDM package (presumably kdebase3-kdm).

  3. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:50:44 -0500, Clint wrote:
    >
    >> Now I can still terminal to it

    > How does one terminal?

    [CTRL][ALT][F1], log in as root and do `init 3`

    > Perhaps the simplest method to recover, would be to force a removal of
    > the KDM package (if you are indeed using KDM as your display manager
    > for KDE Desktop, as opposed to GDM, WDM, or XDM) and then do an immediate
    > re-installation of the KDM package (presumably kdebase3-kdm).

    Is X working or not? This can be done by doing the above, log out as
    root, and log in as user and run startx. If not, it is not a KDM issue.
    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  4. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:16:41 +0000, houghi wrote:

    > Is X working or not?

    Clint already stated that the X11 server was running.

    QUOTE
    but when X starts it comes up to a X on a black & white screen
    UNQUOTE

  5. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:16:41 +0000, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Is X working or not?

    > Clint already stated that the X11 server was running.
    >
    > QUOTE
    > but when X starts it comes up to a X on a black & white screen
    > UNQUOTE

    To me that means that it isn't running correctly. Use sax2 to configure
    it correctly.
    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  6. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 13:58:36 +0000, houghi wrote:
    > To me that means that it isn't running correctly. Use sax2 to configure
    > it correctly.

    To me, that sounds like you do not appreciate the difference between an
    X11 server alone running on an unmanaged display and an X11 server
    running along with a display manager to give the the appropriate chooser/
    greeter screen.

    If xorg.conf was not already correctly configured, the X11 server would
    not start and he would not report seeing a cross on a black/white screen.

    From a run state of 3 on your machine, with no display manager running
    and no X11 server running, try the command

    /usr/bin/Xorg vt07

    and you should see a black cross on a mottled black/white background
    on virtual terminal 7, which I believe what Clint was describing.

    The reason he did not get into KDE was because the KDM display manager
    which fired up the X11 server could not start the greeter as configured in
    the [X-*-Greeter] section of /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (assuming
    .. installed).

    Perhaps it would be best for Clint to check the file

    /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager

    to verify which displaymanager is set in the environmental variable
    being called by the variable DISPLAYMANAGER which then gets executed
    by /etc/init.d/xdm or even /etc/init.d/earlyxdm, rather than just
    assuming the display manager is kdm from kdebase3-kdm.

    But once this is done, the easiest solution is then to re-install
    the display manager package, since this appears to be where the problem
    lies.

  7. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    J G Miller wrote:
    > But once this is done, the easiest solution is then to re-install
    > the display manager package, since this appears to be where the problem
    > lies.

    Hey, if startx works perfectly, I couldn't agree more. Then it is indeed
    the display manager.

    If startx however does not give you the desired result, then most likely
    it is something to do with X itself. To me a blank screen with an X and
    nothing else after running `startx` from init 3 has nothing to do with
    either GDM, KDM or any of them. (Hey that rhimes.)

    It could be that not KDE or GNOME is the default, but you still should
    be able to see something.

    But if you say it is the display manager it must be so.

    --
    houghi http://houghi.org http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    > Today I went outside. My pupils have never been tinier...

  8. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    Thanks JG,

    Terminal is what I use w/ OSX to telnet to the system. I ran the command
    as below & got some messages
    about still being out of space. I've fixed that & now when I run it-
    just comes back out to a command
    prompt.

    I guess my topic should have been worded better. I think X is fine- the
    window manger KDE is where
    I think it is failing. Cant make it to a desktop although I get the
    black/white screen with the X symbol
    cursor.

    I think I'll try to get gnome going....

    Thanks again guys!

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:50:44 -0500, Clint wrote:
    >
    >> Now I can still terminal to it

    > How does one terminal?
    >
    > I cannot find that verb in the dictionary.
    > The closest I can find is "to terminate".
    >
    >> but when X starts it comes up to a X on a black & white screen & never
    >> gets to KDE.

    > That indicates that the X11 server is indeed starting but the display
    > manager is either not running, is misconfigured, or the chooser/greeter
    > program is not available (been deleted?) and so cannot respond to the
    > X request to provide the chooser or greeter login screen.
    >
    > rpm -V kdebase3-kdm
    >
    > will tell you the state of the installed KDM package and indicate
    > if it is installed and whether or not files are missing.
    >
    > Perhaps the simplest method to recover, would be to force a removal of
    > the KDM package (if you are indeed using KDM as your display manager
    > for KDE Desktop, as opposed to GDM, WDM, or XDM) and then do an immediate
    > re-installation of the KDM package (presumably kdebase3-kdm).

  9. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:53:46 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > To me a blank screen with an X and nothing else after running `startx`
    > from init 3 has nothing to do with either GDM, KDM or any of them.

    Exactly.

    Only the X11 server is running and not the display manager
    chooser or greeter, so the effect has nothing to do with either KDM or
    GDM.

    Did you even bother to try what I suggested before posting your reply?

    QUOTE
    From a run state of 3 on your machine, with no display manager running
    and no X11 server running, try the command

    /usr/bin/Xorg vt07

    and you should see a black cross on a mottled black/white background
    on virtual terminal 7
    UNQUOTE

  10. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 17:10:52 -0500, Clint wrote:
    > I think I'll try to get gnome going....

    If you prefer KDM, why not just try reinstalling kdebase3-kdm
    as I originally suggested?

  11. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 17:10:52 -0500, Clint wrote:
    >> I think I'll try to get gnome going....

    > If you prefer KDM, why not just try reinstalling kdebase3-kdm
    > as I originally suggested?

    I dont really prefer it.. just trying new stuff. Gnome kicks ass
    & I think is less buggy.

    I got one last issue.. will post a new thread.

    Thanks for the tip.. got me in the right direction & now all good!

    -Clint

  12. Re: Clobbered X! how to recover?

    J G Miller wrote:
    > Did you even bother to try what I suggested before posting your reply?

    No, I have a great running X on three screens and no test machine at
    this moment, so no reason to try it.

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

+ Reply to Thread