Portrait mode - Suse

This is a discussion on Portrait mode - Suse ; Hello, I got a iiyama b2403 display. I would like to use it in portrait mode but do not find how to do it under suse 11.0 The graphic card is a nvidia 6200 whose configuration window does not offer ...

  1. Portrait mode

    Hello,

    I got a iiyama b2403 display.
    I would like to use it in portrait mode but do not find how to do it
    under suse 11.0
    The graphic card is a nvidia 6200 whose configuration window does not
    offer the possibility; so i have to do it otherwise.
    I tried to find on various forums but saw no clear explanations.

    Thank you for the help.

    JMR

  2. Re: Portrait mode

    On August 31, 2008 15:17, in alt.os.linux.suse, JMR (jmr@nowhere.eu) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I got a iiyama b2403 display.
    > I would like to use it in portrait mode but do not find how to do it
    > under suse 11.0
    > The graphic card is a nvidia 6200 whose configuration window does not
    > offer the possibility; so i have to do it otherwise.
    > I tried to find on various forums but saw no clear explanations.

    Use the xrandr(1) command ("man 1 xrandr")
    You want the --rotation option, as in
    xrandr --rotation left
    to turn the display to the left, or
    xrandr --rotation right
    to turn it to the right (both should result in "portrait" mode, but using
    opposite ends of the landscape mode screen as the left edge of the
    portrait). Finally
    xrandr --rotation normal
    should return the display to landscape mode

    HTH
    --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Portrait mode

    JMR wrote:

    > I got a iiyama b2403 display.
    > I would like to use it in portrait mode but do not find how to do it
    > under suse 11.0
    > The graphic card is a nvidia 6200 whose configuration window does not
    > offer the possibility; so i have to do it otherwise.

    Locate the Monitor section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add the
    line

    Option "Rotate" "left"

    (substitute "right" for "left" if the screen ends up upside down).

    --
    Huibert
    "Okay... really not something I needed to see." --Raven

  4. Re: Portrait mode

    Huibert Bol wrote:
    > Locate the Monitor section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add the
    > line
    >
    > Option "Rotate" "left"
    >
    > (substitute "right" for "left" if the screen ends up upside down).

    I am not at my PC, so I am not sure, but I think I saw such a thing in
    either sax2, or in the nvidea tool or in both. I am pretty sure it was
    in sax2.

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  5. Re: Portrait mode

    Huibert Bol a écrit :
    > JMR wrote:
    >
    >> I got a iiyama b2403 display.
    >> I would like to use it in portrait mode but do not find how to do it
    >> under suse 11.0
    >> The graphic card is a nvidia 6200 whose configuration window does not
    >> offer the possibility; so i have to do it otherwise.

    > Locate the Monitor section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add the
    > line
    >
    > Option "Rotate" "left"
    >
    > (substitute "right" for "left" if the screen ends up upside down).

    I did that but when i start suse it starts in portrait mode.
    I cannot put it in portrait mode (normal)
    What i want is to switch from normal to left and vice-versa.
    Have you an idea ?
    Thank you
    JMR

  6. Re: Portrait mode

    Lew Pitcher a écrit :
    > On August 31, 2008 15:17, in alt.os.linux.suse, JMR (jmr@nowhere.eu) wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I got a iiyama b2403 display.
    >> I would like to use it in portrait mode but do not find how to do it
    >> under suse 11.0
    >> The graphic card is a nvidia 6200 whose configuration window does not
    >> offer the possibility; so i have to do it otherwise.
    >> I tried to find on various forums but saw no clear explanations.

    > Use the xrandr(1) command ("man 1 xrandr")
    > You want the --rotation option, as in
    > xrandr --rotation left
    > to turn the display to the left, or
    > xrandr --rotation right
    > to turn it to the right (both should result in "portrait" mode, but using
    > opposite ends of the landscape mode screen as the left edge of the
    > portrait). Finally
    > xrandr --rotation normal
    > should return the display to landscape mode
    >

    > HTH

    i tried that but with no result.
    Maybe is it a syntax problem.
    JMR

  7. Re: Portrait mode

    JMR wrote:

    > I did that but when i start suse it starts in portrait mode.
    > I cannot put it in portrait mode (normal)
    > What i want is to switch from normal to left and vice-versa.
    > Have you an idea ?

    OK, so you are able to place it in portrait and you are able to place it
    in landscape. Is that right?

    So what you then can do is the following:
    1) Make a xorg.conf that does the landscape and *copy* that to
    xorg.conf.landscape
    2) Make a xorg.conf that does the portrait and *copy* that to
    xorg.conf.portrait

    To go from one to the other, do the following:
    1) copy xorg.conf.landscape to xorg.conf
    2) log out of X and log back in

    I remember that is used to be possible to go from one size to another.
    e.g. from 1024x768 to 800x600. So it should be possible to go from
    1024x768 to 768x1024 as well. I think there is nothing more to it,
    unless it turns out upside down.

    Perhaps others can use this information to
    guide you in the right direction.
    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  8. Re: Portrait mode

    houghi wrote:

    > Huibert Bol wrote:
    >> Locate the Monitor section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add the
    >> line
    >>
    >> Option "Rotate" "left"
    >>
    >> (substitute "right" for "left" if the screen ends up upside down).

    > I am not at my PC, so I am not sure, but I think I saw such a thing in
    > either sax2, or in the nvidea tool or in both. I am pretty sure it was
    > in sax2.

    Indeed, it's in sax2. It's greyed out on my system, even though the
    adapter supports rotation. Modifying xorg.conf seemed a more sure-fire
    solution.

    --
    Huibert
    "Okay... really not something I needed to see." --Raven

  9. Re: Portrait mode

    JMR wrote:

    > Huibert Bol a écrit :
    >> Locate the Monitor section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add the
    >> line
    >>
    >> Option "Rotate" "left"
    >>
    >> (substitute "right" for "left" if the screen ends up upside down).
    >>

    > I did that but when i start suse it starts in portrait mode. I cannot
    > put it in portrait mode (normal)

    > What i want is to switch from normal to left and vice-versa.

    KDE has this nifty tray applet (krandrtray) that will allow you to change
    the resolution and orientation with a click of a button.

    --
    Huibert
    "Okay... really not something I needed to see." --Raven

  10. Re: Portrait mode

    Huibert Bol a écrit :
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Huibert Bol wrote:
    >>> Locate the Monitor section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add the
    >>> line
    >>>
    >>> Option "Rotate" "left"
    >>>
    >>> (substitute "right" for "left" if the screen ends up upside down).

    >> I am not at my PC, so I am not sure, but I think I saw such a thing in
    >> either sax2, or in the nvidea tool or in both. I am pretty sure it was
    >> in sax2.

    > Indeed, it's in sax2. It's greyed out on my system

    the same for me...

    , even though the
    > adapter supports rotation. Modifying xorg.conf seemed a more sure-fire
    > solution.

  11. Re: Portrait mode

    houghi a écrit :
    > JMR wrote:
    >> I did that but when i start suse it starts in portrait mode.
    >> I cannot put it in portrait mode (normal)
    >> What i want is to switch from normal to left and vice-versa.
    >> Have you an idea ?

    > OK, so you are able to place it in portrait and you are able to place it
    > in landscape. Is that right?

    yes but , as far as i understand, either portrait, either landscape if i
    change xorg.conf each time : not very comfortable.
    In the next post Huibert Bol mentions krandrtray.
    I will try that, the problem is that i have not installed kde and will
    surely need a lot of kde libs just to implement that applet.
    Ant way i will tell you about it
    JMR

    > So what you then can do is the following:
    > 1) Make a xorg.conf that does the landscape and *copy* that to
    > xorg.conf.landscape
    > 2) Make a xorg.conf that does the portrait and *copy* that to
    > xorg.conf.portrait
    >
    > To go from one to the other, do the following:
    > 1) copy xorg.conf.landscape to xorg.conf
    > 2) log out of X and log back in
    >
    > I remember that is used to be possible to go from one size to another.
    > e.g. from 1024x768 to 800x600. So it should be possible to go from
    > 1024x768 to 768x1024 as well. I think there is nothing more to it,
    > unless it turns out upside down.
    >
    > Perhaps others can use this information to
    > guide you in the right direction.

  12. Re: Portrait mode

    Huibert Bol a écrit :
    > JMR wrote:
    >
    >> Huibert Bol a écrit :
    >>> Locate the Monitor section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add the
    >>> line
    >>>
    >>> Option "Rotate" "left"
    >>>
    >>> (substitute "right" for "left" if the screen ends up upside down).
    >>>

    >> I did that but when i start suse it starts in portrait mode. I cannot
    >> put it in portrait mode (normal)

    >> What i want is to switch from normal to left and vice-versa.

    > KDE has this nifty tray applet (krandrtray) that will allow you to change
    > the resolution and orientation with a click of a button.

    I will try. Ubuntu has the same (with gnome) called Grandr and it cannot
    be easier to change resolution and orientation; just one click and it is
    done.
    I'll tell you what i did.

    JMR

  13. Re: Portrait mode (problem solved)

    JMR a écrit :
    > Huibert Bol a écrit :
    >> JMR wrote:

    >>> I did that but when i start suse it starts in portrait mode. I cannot
    >>> put it in portrait mode (normal)

    >>> What i want is to switch from normal to left and vice-versa.

    >> KDE has this nifty tray applet (krandrtray) that will allow you to change
    >> the resolution and orientation with a click of a button.
    >>

    > I will try. Ubuntu has the same (with gnome) called Grandr and it cannot
    > be easier to change resolution and orientation; just one click and it is
    > done.
    > I'll tell you what i did.

    In the device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf i simply added the line :

    Option "RandRRotation" "on"

    It works.
    In the taskbar icon for the display i can now change the resolution
    (like before) but also change the orientation : normal, clockwise,
    upside down, counterclockwise.

    Thank you to all of you for your help.

    JMR

  14. Re: Portrait mode

    JMR wrote:
    >> Indeed, it's in sax2. It's greyed out on my system

    > the same for me...

    It is greyed out for me now as well. I am sure it wasn't when I started
    the configuration of the screens. I also now see 'Display 2' that is not
    active.

    This is after I did the NVidia install.

    houghi
    --
    houghi http://houghi.org http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    > Today I went outside. My pupils have never been tinier...

  15. Re: Portrait mode

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 16:02:17 +0200, JMR wrote:

    > Lew Pitcher a écrit :
    >> On August 31, 2008 15:17, in alt.os.linux.suse, JMR (jmr@nowhere.eu)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I got a iiyama b2403 display.
    >>> I would like to use it in portrait mode but do not find how to do it
    >>> under suse 11.0
    >>> The graphic card is a nvidia 6200 whose configuration window does not
    >>> offer the possibility; so i have to do it otherwise. I tried to find
    >>> on various forums but saw no clear explanations.

    >> Use the xrandr(1) command ("man 1 xrandr") You want the --rotation
    >> option, as in
    >> xrandr --rotation left
    >> to turn the display to the left, or
    >> xrandr --rotation right
    >> to turn it to the right (both should result in "portrait" mode, but
    >> using opposite ends of the landscape mode screen as the left edge of
    >> the portrait). Finally
    >> xrandr --rotation normal
    >> should return the display to landscape mode
    >>

    >> HTH

    > i tried that but with no result.
    > Maybe is it a syntax problem.
    > JMR

    Yes, it is the usage

    usage: xrandr [options]
    where options are:
    -display or -d
    -help
    -o
    or --orientation

    on my system
    xrandr -o 2 gave an inverted screen so you may have to play around.

+ Reply to Thread