Re: Don't order from Lenovo - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Don't order from Lenovo - Suse ; On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote: > I ordered a Lenovo Linux laptop on 8/3/2008. Yesterday I was informed > that it will not ship till the end of September,. It is apparent to me > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote:

    > I ordered a Lenovo Linux laptop on 8/3/2008. Yesterday I was informed
    > that it will not ship till the end of September,. It is apparent to me
    > that they knew on 8/3 that they could not ship in the forseeable
    > future.
    >
    > They are also discontinueing their support of Linux on their Thinkpad
    > T series, and lessening their offerings overall for the USA.
    >
    > You can scratch Lenovo off the list of friends of Linux!
    >
    > Brad

    Hopefully you did NOT order this model because if you did, I would cancel
    my order immediately.
    In fact I would cancel my order with them immediately anyhow.

    http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/

    "After the initial boot and logon, we were faced with a clean,
    well-organized desktop, but one element caught our eye right away¡Xa text
    document called ThinkPad Readme.txt. We launched it and found that the
    document¡¦s first line was ¡§Limitations, Workarounds and How To¡¦s for
    SLED10.¡¨ We did not like the sound of that ¡§limitations¡¨ element. After
    all, isn¡¦t Linux supposed to be about overcoming limitations?

    The first part of the document covered ¡§features not supported.¡¨ Some of
    those features are:

    * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.
    * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    * Wireless WAN Adapter
    * ThinkVantage Button
    * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output

    From our point of view, Lenovo was not off to a good start."

    How that model got a 3 star review is beyond me!
    I would have sent it back immediately.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    In alt.os.linux.suse Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote:

    >> I ordered a Lenovo Linux laptop on 8/3/2008. Yesterday I was informed
    >> that it will not ship till the end of September,. It is apparent to me
    >> that they knew on 8/3 that they could not ship in the forseeable
    >> future.
    >>
    >> They are also discontinueing their support of Linux on their Thinkpad
    >> T series, and lessening their offerings overall for the USA.
    >>
    >> You can scratch Lenovo off the list of friends of Linux!
    >>
    >> Brad

    >Hopefully you did NOT order this model because if you did, I would cancel
    >my order immediately.
    >In fact I would cancel my order with them immediately anyhow.

    My Lenovo T61 has been running openSUSE for over a year now
    with NO problems at all.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  3. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 04:16:44 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.suse Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote:

    >>> I ordered a Lenovo Linux laptop on 8/3/2008. Yesterday I was informed
    >>> that it will not ship till the end of September,. It is apparent to me
    >>> that they knew on 8/3 that they could not ship in the forseeable
    >>> future.
    >>>
    >>> They are also discontinueing their support of Linux on their Thinkpad
    >>> T series, and lessening their offerings overall for the USA.
    >>>
    >>> You can scratch Lenovo off the list of friends of Linux!
    >>>
    >>> Brad

    >>Hopefully you did NOT order this model because if you did, I would cancel
    >>my order immediately.
    >>In fact I would cancel my order with them immediately anyhow.

    > My Lenovo T61 has been running openSUSE for over a year now
    > with NO problems at all.

    Good for you.
    The one I posted is a piker....

    I can't believe they would ship such a POS.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 04:16:44 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.suse Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote:

    >>> I ordered a Lenovo Linux laptop on 8/3/2008. Yesterday I was informed
    >>> that it will not ship till the end of September,. It is apparent to me
    >>> that they knew on 8/3 that they could not ship in the forseeable
    >>> future.
    >>>
    >>> They are also discontinueing their support of Linux on their Thinkpad
    >>> T series, and lessening their offerings overall for the USA.
    >>>
    >>> You can scratch Lenovo off the list of friends of Linux!
    >>>
    >>> Brad

    >>Hopefully you did NOT order this model because if you did, I would
    >>cancel my order immediately.
    >>In fact I would cancel my order with them immediately anyhow.

    > My Lenovo T61 has been running openSUSE for over a year now with NO
    > problems at all.

    Most modern laptops run Linux with little to no problems. The biggest
    problem is usually the wireless adapter. Broadcom is especially guilty
    for not releasing specs or apis for their wireless chipsets (and should
    rightly be shunned).

    I currently recommend Toshiba laptops as they run Ubuntu out of the box
    with no problems. My older Dell Inspiron 5150 is also very linux friendly.

    Of course, my Eee is really linux friendly ;-)

  5. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Aug 31, 1:58*pm, alt wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 04:16:44 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > >>Hopefully you did NOT order this model because if you did, I would
    > >>cancel my order immediately.
    > >>In fact I would cancel my order with them immediately anyhow.

    > > My Lenovo T61 has been running openSUSE for over a year now with NO
    > > problems at all.

    > Most modern laptops run Linux with little to no problems. The biggest
    > problem is usually the wireless adapter. Broadcom is especially guilty
    > for not releasing specs or apis for their wireless chipsets (and should
    > rightly be shunned).

    Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

  6. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    > On Aug 31, 1:58 pm, alt wrote:

    informed

    me

    Thinkpad

    > > > My Lenovo T61 has been running openSUSE for over a year now with NO
    > > > problems at all.

    > > Most modern laptops run Linux with little to no problems. The biggest
    > > problem is usually the wireless adapter. Broadcom is especially guilty
    > > for not releasing specs or apis for their wireless chipsets (and should
    > > rightly be shunned).
    > >

    > Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    > do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

    From the live CD (Ubuntu 8.04), mine worked, after a little fiddlin'. I'm
    wondering how it'll work once I get it installed on the hard drive. I'm
    collecting data on just how to do that without GRUB getting in the way of
    Winderz booting, too. Of course, mine's not an a/b/g; it's just a b/g.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

  7. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Aug 30, 9:57*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote:
    > > I ordered a Lenovo Linux laptop on 8/3/2008. Yesterday I was informed
    > > that it will not ship till the end of September,. It is apparent to me
    > > that they knew on 8/3 that they could not ship in the forseeable
    > > future.

    I have had a similar experience. There may be legal issues or
    negotiations or other business related issues, related to your delay.
    I found out later that Lenovo was using the same batteries that were
    exploding, and were holding off shipments until they could aquire safe
    batteries. Under the circumstances, I'm glad they held it back,
    because I got a good machine with a good battery.

    > > They are also discontinueing their support of Linux on their Thinkpad
    > > T series, and lessening their offerings overall for the USA.

    This smells a bit like Microsoft Arm-Twisting. The fact is that most
    Thinkpad machines have
    been "Linux Ready" for years. The best one for Linux is the T61p.
    You can also order that one with a WSXGA display or WUXGA display,
    which is much more desirable for Linux users.

    The Intel WiFi devices work fine with SUSE and will be automatically
    detected. The "Thinkpad A/B/G/N" adapter uses an Atheros chipset.
    IBM has adapters (binary only) that are available through other
    sources, but unless you order the commercial version of SUSE and tell
    it to replace the OSS drivers with the advanced drivers the Atheros
    802.11n chipset may not even be functional. Best to choose the Intel
    chipset for now..

    > > You can scratch Lenovo off the list of friends of Linux!

    Lenovo works best with LSB-3 compliant Linux, but also runs Ubuntu and
    Debian pretty nicely as well.

    I don't blame you for being upset. I'm not sure what the delay is.
    It could be that Lenovo is working out some hardware glitch, or that
    they are trying to negotiate a better deal with Microsoft that will
    let them display Linux on Retailer shelves. At this point, I'm not
    sure what is the reason, but they usually have a good reason.

    > http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...es-Linux-Lapto...

    > "After the initial boot and logon, we were faced with a clean,
    > well-organized desktop, but one element caught our eye right away—a text
    > document called ThinkPad Readme.txt. We launched it and found that the
    > document’s first line was “Limitations, Workarounds and How To’s for
    > SLED10.” We did not like the sound of that “limitations” element. After
    > all, isn’t Linux supposed to be about overcoming limitations?

    The "Limitations" were windows only utilities that, for obvious
    reasons were not
    provided for the Linux version. Linux has similar functions built-in.

    > The first part of the document covered “features not supported.” Someof
    > those features are:

    > * * * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.

    Active protection system parks the heads if the laptop starts to get
    dropped. Linux has something similar built into the kernel, it would
    be redundant.

    > * * * *ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux

    SUSE Linux has YAST/Network, which does the same things ThinkVantage
    Access Connections does, In fact, ThinkVantage seems to be very
    similar to YAST/Network. Using the Linux "standard" configuration
    tools makes it easier to get remote help from 3rd party vendors such
    as Novell.

    > * * * *ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux

    If you run the YAST "Software updates" and you have SLED, the update
    manager will automatically load the thinkpad configuration tool.

    > * * * *ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux

    Linux has it's own power manager and has better configurability than
    either of the Windows power managers. For example, Linux
    automatically stops spinning the hard drive when it isn't being used
    because the user is doing something simple like updating information
    on a Web Form.

    > * * * *Wireless WAN Adapter

    SUSE Linux has it's own Wireless WAN adapter. They don't need IBM's.

    > * * * *ThinkVantage Button

    IBM's OCCS does have ThinkVantage button support, but I don't know the
    details.

    > * * * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output

    That is a legal issue. SLED provides this function. There is a
    patent/DRM license involved.

    > From our point of view, Lenovo was not off to a good start."

    These were "knee jerk reactions" to a warning that was very
    appropriate. Many people who use Linux think it should act EXACTLY
    the way Windows does. Rather than take a bunch of calls on "why
    doesn't the thinkpad button work, they just let you know that it
    doesn't

    > How that model got a 3 star review is beyond me!
    > I would have sent it back immediately.

    He does go on to explain:

    Right off the bat we found that that the fingerprint reader, the USB
    ports, the integrated wireless (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth), the sound card,
    the networking and so on all were well-supported and work as expected.
    That is no small task considering how fickle Linux drivers can be and
    how much of Lenovo’s ThinkPad technology is proprietary.

    There were a few other issues. He didn't realize that you have to
    configure a XEN file before you boot into XEN mode (SUSE has a nice
    tool for setting this up, or you can do it manually).

    Very often, reviewers of Linux tend to focus on the configuration and
    installation issues. I have yet to see any really good in-depth
    reviewes of the actual operational experience of working with Linux.

    SUSE Linux is the "Luxury Car" version of Linux. It's got all the
    extras, AND it's solid and reliable.

    SUSE Linux on Thinkpads is a whole new adventure.

    Lenovo also has some new laptops coming out. You might want to look
    at the new models.
    The YO-710 for example has a 17 inch display. Lennovo also just came
    out with a subnotebook that runs Linux very well too.

    Rex

  8. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Aug 31, 3:07*pm, zmdmw52 wrote:

    > Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    > do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

    Yes, they work very well. Most Linux distributions will detect that
    one automatically and the configuration software will let you start
    finding hot spots immediately. If you want a secure connection, (WEP,
    WPA), you will need to configure that connection/SSID combination, but
    that's no more difficult than the Windows configuration (maybe even
    easier).

  9. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Aug 31, 3:07Â*pm, zmdmw52 wrote:
    >
    >> Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    >> do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

    > Yes, they work very well. Most Linux distributions will detect that
    > one automatically and the configuration software will let you start
    > finding hot spots immediately. If you want a secure connection, (WEP,
    > WPA), you will need to configure that connection/SSID combination, but
    > that's no more difficult than the Windows configuration (maybe even
    > easier).

    WEP is not secure. Not even slightly. Use at your own peril.

    As for "easier". Rubbish.

    However WICD is excellent.

    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

  10. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Rex Ballard writes:
    >
    >>> Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    >>> do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

    >> Yes, they work very well. Most Linux distributions will detect that
    >> one automatically and the configuration software will let you start
    >> finding hot spots immediately. If you want a secure connection, (WEP,
    >> WPA), you will need to configure that connection/SSID combination, but
    >> that's no more difficult than the Windows configuration (maybe even
    >> easier).

    > WEP is not secure. Not even slightly. Use at your own peril.
    >
    > As for "easier". Rubbish.
    >
    > However WICD is excellent.
    >
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    At the risk of seeming to ding you, you kind of contradicted yourself.
    You said Rex's claim of ease-of-use was "rubbish", but then you bring up
    an easy solution. (Network Manager is another easy solution.) I've
    found NM to be easier than the Windows setups (though I've gone through
    a lot of hard work on wireless in the past in Linux.)

    Anyway, yesterday I let Debian install a 2.6.26 kernel image, and lo and
    behold the "WIFI" LED on the Intel 3945G-based wireless hardware of this
    laptop finally shows up with the iwlwifi driver!

    It was about god-damn time!

    Anyway, since I don't do Nvidia video the debian way, and the vendor's
    install package expects at least a make config to be done, I downloaded
    the very latest from kernel.org and am now running on that.

    One more item. Whilst still booted to Debian's latest kernel, I found
    the kernel compile to be horribly slow. All compilation, including that
    done by the vendor's Nvidia package, was horribly slow.

    I wish I would have done a bit more forensics before rebooting to an
    earlier version of the kernel, to find out what happened.

    --
    Between 1950 and 1952, a bored weatherman, stationed north of Hudson
    Bay, left a monument that neither government nor time can eradicate.

    It can be seen from 10,000 feet, silhouetted against the snow.
    Government officials exchanged memos full of circumlocutions (no Latin
    equivalent exists) but failed to word an appropriation bill for the
    destruction of this cairn, that wouldn't alert the press and embarrass
    both Parliament and Party.

    It stands today, a monument to human spirit. If life exists on other
    planets, this may be the first message received from us.
    -- The Realist, November, 1964.

  11. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 05:07:14 -0700, zmdmw52 wrote:

    > Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    > do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

    Those are usually very good for support. Also, Ralink is apparently
    getting very involved with the Linux community to support their wireless
    chipsets, so I would expect some good things to come out of that.

  12. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    alt writes:

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 05:07:14 -0700, zmdmw52 wrote:
    >

    >> Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    >> do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

    > Those are usually very good for support. Also, Ralink is apparently
    > getting very involved with the Linux community to support their wireless
    > chipsets, so I would expect some good things to come out of that.

    The ralink in my thinkpad was useless since the driver did not support
    WPA. I replaced it with an intel wireless pro.

  13. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Aug 31, 8:11*pm, Rex Ballard wrote:
    > On Aug 31, 3:07*pm, zmdmw52 wrote:
    >
    > > Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    > > do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

    > Yes, they work very well. *Most Linux distributions will detect that
    > one automatically and the configuration software will let you start
    > finding hot spots immediately. *If you want a secure connection, (WEP,
    > WPA), you will need to configure that connection/SSID combination, but
    > that's no more difficult than the Windows configuration (maybe even
    > easier).

    Any additional utility (software program) specifically for these
    (wireless cards)?

  14. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    In alt.os.linux.suse alt wrote:
    >On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 04:16:44 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>>Hopefully you did NOT order this model because if you did, I would
    >>>cancel my order immediately.
    >>>In fact I would cancel my order with them immediately anyhow.

    >> My Lenovo T61 has been running openSUSE for over a year now with NO
    >> problems at all.

    >Most modern laptops run Linux with little to no problems. The biggest
    >problem is usually the wireless adapter. Broadcom is especially guilty
    >for not releasing specs or apis for their wireless chipsets (and should
    >rightly be shunned).

    >I currently recommend Toshiba laptops as they run Ubuntu out of the box
    >with no problems. My older Dell Inspiron 5150 is also very linux friendly.

    >Of course, my Eee is really linux friendly ;-)

    I have both of those machines. Really. My Dell Inspiron 5150
    runs openSUSE 11.0 right out of the box.

    The EeePC needs a special version of whatever in order to run,
    but it does run. I think it is a castrated version of Linspire.
    I use the thing for presentations. Works just great for that.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  15. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    In alt.os.linux.suse Hadron wrote:
    >Rex Ballard writes:

    >> On Aug 31, 3:07Â*pm, zmdmw52 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do Intel Wireless adapters (Intel 802.11 abg wireless) need drivers or
    >>> do they work out-of-the-box? (this is for a TP R61)

    >> Yes, they work very well. Most Linux distributions will detect that
    >> one automatically and the configuration software will let you start
    >> finding hot spots immediately. If you want a secure connection, (WEP,
    >> WPA), you will need to configure that connection/SSID combination, but
    >> that's no more difficult than the Windows configuration (maybe even
    >> easier).
    >>

    >WEP is not secure. Not even slightly. Use at your own peril.

    >As for "easier". Rubbish.

    Matter of opinion. I've had (and still have) a number of
    dual boot machines. I've always had an easier time configuring
    wireless under linux.

    But that may be just because I use linux more often.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  16. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 07:43:40 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> > You can scratch Lenovo off the list of friends of Linux!

    >I don't blame you for being upset. I'm not sure what the delay is.

    In only slightly related news, my Dell with pre-installed Ubuntu was
    scheduled for September 16th the latest. On friday I got the notice it
    had already been shipped. Sometime this week I will hopefully be holding
    it in my greedy paws.

    Regards
    Aleks

  17. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    in message ,
    wrote Rex Ballard ...

    > On Aug 30, 9:57?pm, "Moshe Goldfarb."
    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote:

    > The Intel WiFi devices work fine with SUSE and will be
    > automatically detected. The "Thinkpad A/B/G/N" adapter uses an
    > Atheros chipset. IBM has adapters (binary only) that are
    > available through other sources, but unless you order the
    > commercial version of SUSE and tell it to replace the OSS drivers
    > with the advanced drivers the Atheros 802.11n chipset may not even
    > be functional. Best to choose the Intel chipset for now..

    I ordered Thinkpad T61 for which I explicitly chose Atheros wireless
    card because FreeBSD has much better support for Atheros card
    (6-STABLE via ath driver) than Intel ones (supported by iwi driver &
    NDIS due to past experience with 4.x branch).

    (Yes I know FreeBSD is unlike GNU/Linux system.)

    - parv

    --
    Email address is broken.

  18. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On 2008-09-02, parv wrote:
    > in message ,
    > wrote Rex Ballard ...
    >
    >> On Aug 30, 9:57?pm, "Moshe Goldfarb."
    >> wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote:

    >> The Intel WiFi devices work fine with SUSE and will be
    >> automatically detected. The "Thinkpad A/B/G/N" adapter uses an
    >> Atheros chipset. IBM has adapters (binary only) that are
    >> available through other sources, but unless you order the
    >> commercial version of SUSE and tell it to replace the OSS drivers
    >> with the advanced drivers the Atheros 802.11n chipset may not even
    >> be functional. Best to choose the Intel chipset for now..

    > I ordered Thinkpad T61 for which I explicitly chose Atheros wireless
    > card because FreeBSD has much better support for Atheros card
    > (6-STABLE via ath driver) than Intel ones (supported by iwi driver &
    > NDIS due to past experience with 4.x branch).
    >
    > (Yes I know FreeBSD is unlike GNU/Linux system.)

    But I assume the projects exchange at least technical knowledge on the
    devices?

    In any case, my eeepc running Xandros (mosty Debian) comes with an
    Atheros WiFi card running the ath driver. Haven't checked whether it
    is open source or not.

    --- Jan

  19. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    > I ordered Thinkpad T61 for which I explicitly chose Atheros wireless
    > card because FreeBSD has much better support for Atheros card
    > (6-STABLE via ath driver) than Intel ones (supported by iwi driver &
    > NDIS due to past experience with 4.x branch).
    >
    > (Yes I know FreeBSD is unlike GNU/Linux system.)
    >
    > * - parv

    I sure hope you didn't order it directly from Lenovo, because it ain't
    coming. I canceled my order from them after waiting one month and
    being told they need another month. I ordered a Thinkpad from
    provantage.com yesterday and it is scheduled to arrive today or
    tomorrow.

  20. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 03:38:17 -0700 (PDT), brad wrote:

    >> I ordered Thinkpad T61 for which I explicitly chose Atheros wireless
    >> card because FreeBSD has much better support for Atheros card
    >> (6-STABLE via ath driver) than Intel ones (supported by iwi driver &
    >> NDIS due to past experience with 4.x branch).
    >>
    >> (Yes I know FreeBSD is unlike GNU/Linux system.)
    >>
    >> * - parv

    > I sure hope you didn't order it directly from Lenovo, because it ain't
    > coming. I canceled my order from them after waiting one month and
    > being told they need another month. I ordered a Thinkpad from
    > provantage.com yesterday and it is scheduled to arrive today or
    > tomorrow.

    I have a friend who just bought a brand new laptop from Lenovo and after 2
    months it started shutting down by itself.
    She brought it in for repair and they tell her it's the CPU fan that is bad
    and it is covered by the warranty.
    Great, except that they are out of fans in their parts supply house and it
    will take at least 3 weeks to get one!
    She is demanding either a new laptop or a loaner.
    Good luck is all I can say.