Re: Don't order from Lenovo - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Don't order from Lenovo - Suse ; "AnimalMagic" wrote in message news:nur6c4hmndokj3kmtit10priqo1qlrfd84@4ax.com... > On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:44:50 -0400, "Tom Rutherford" > wrote: > [...] > >> Re-size the front end of the Windows partition. Take away 32MB. Make > >> that a FAT 16 partition ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    "AnimalMagic" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:44:50 -0400, "Tom Rutherford"
    > wrote:

    [...]
    > >> Re-size the front end of the Windows partition. Take away 32MB. Make
    > >> that a FAT 16 partition and put XOSL boot loader there. Create Linux
    > >> partitions and install one or more Linux flavors to the remainder of

    that
    > >> drive, or other available volume.
    > >>
    > >> The XOSL boot loader allows GUI menu selectable booting and
    > >> configuration. The partition is hidden from Windows.
    > >>
    > >> Then place any boot loaders during any Linux installations in the MBR
    > >> of the partition you installed it to. That way, the xosl boot loader

    can
    > >> point to it, and when the grub, etc. runs, you can change your mind and
    > >> boot something else even, if you wish.

    > >Thanks, A.M. I'm assuming that 32MB partition should be a primary
    > >partition, correct?

    > Indeed.

    Okay. The size of the Boot Manager partition was ~1MB, but the drive was
    only 6.4GB, too. :-) The rule of thumb with BM was to set up the smallest
    partition possible.

    > > It sounds like what I did on my old Pentium-166 machine
    > >back in the mid '90s, when I was playing with MS-DOS 6.22, Win3.1, OS/2

    Warp
    > >3.0, and RedHat Linux 5.2 Deluxe.

    > My list included BeOS, and I did it across several machines. I wish I
    > could compile it (xosl) to load into Sony's PS3 flash drive for when it
    > runs Linux.

    That would be nice.

    > > I had IBM's Boot Manager in a primary
    > >partition below C:, and I could boot either DOS, OS/2, or Linux from that
    > >menu. It wasn't a GUI menu, but it was readable, and I could tweak it
    > >through OS/2's FDISK.

    > Neat.

    And LILO was on the Linux boot partition, so my MBR only had Boot Manager in
    it.

    > >This would be cool, and I might use it on the desktop if I want to play

    with
    > >several distros of Linux. But, I will only have room for one distro on

    the
    > >laptop, so I only need to dual boot. I think I can do that with XP, but
    > >without crippling Linux.

    > Absolutely. It is even possible with Vista... err... Mojave. ;-] The
    > MS bootloader is fine for when one only has a single alternative choice
    > and doesn't need a gui.

    Peachy. No, I learned how to read; I don't need point-and-grunt. :-) I'm
    getting closer to making the move. A couple of details I need to track
    down, and I'll be setting up the Linux partitions.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

  2. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 13:55:50 +0200, houghi
    wrote:

    >> On a laptop, I guess it would come down to which OS needs to be
    >> installed first to keep from walking all over the other.

    >Sorry, not true.

    Not that it would matter whether it is a laptop or not, but yes, the
    order one installs things can cause other, previous installations to
    break, and NO, you do not interact often enough with Windows to declare
    that it is incorrect.

  3. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    wrote:

    >Wrong guess. You fisrt install Windows and leave a partition blank for
    >Linux. Then install Linux which will recognise the windows installation
    >and configure the bootloader so you are able to dualboot.
    >
    >This has been the case since at least 10 years and probably even before
    >that.

    Said the dope that has only ever used Suse for the last five of those
    ten years.

    Yeah, sure HO FEE... you're the guy I want multi-OS installation
    advice from.

    I have seen it BOTH ways.

    And NO, I do NOT need Linux's boot partition to "see" anything on my
    machine.

  4. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    AnimalMagic wrote:

    > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 13:55:50 +0200, houghi
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> On a laptop, I guess it would come down to which OS needs to be
    >>> installed first to keep from walking all over the other.

    >>Sorry, not true.

    > Not that it would matter whether it is a laptop or not, but yes, the
    > order one installs things can cause other, previous installations to
    > break, and NO, you do not interact often enough with Windows to declare
    > that it is incorrect.

    Windows walks over the Grub or Lilo installation and thus you need to do
    extra manipulations to get Linux going later on.

    The easiest and simplest way is still to first install Windows, leave
    partitions empty for Linux and then install Linux.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  5. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    AnimalMagic wrote:

    > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 13:55:50 +0200, houghi
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Wrong guess. You fisrt install Windows and leave a partition blank for
    >>Linux. Then install Linux which will recognise the windows installation
    >>and configure the bootloader so you are able to dualboot.
    >>
    >>This has been the case since at least 10 years and probably even before
    >>that.

    > Said the dope that has only ever used Suse for the last five of those
    > ten years.
    >
    > Yeah, sure HO FEE... you're the guy I want multi-OS installation
    > advice from.
    >
    > I have seen it BOTH ways.
    >
    > And NO, I do NOT need Linux's boot partition to "see" anything on my
    > machine.

    How do you persuade Windows not to interfere with a Linux install, and get a
    dual boot system? Or are you using partition Magic?
    --
    David Wilson Clarke

  6. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:02:30 +0200, houghi
    wrote:

    >Windows walks over the Grub or Lilo installation and thus you need to do
    >extra manipulations to get Linux going later on.

    Only if you let it.

    The whole idea behind XOSL is that it gets installed on an unseen FAT16
    partition of a mere 32MB. It has the capacity to trade drive
    letters/numbering around, so anyone can install anything, and use the
    XOSL to point at it, and DO NOT install ANY Linux OS and have it ****
    WITH the main boot flagged partition's MBR. You should ALWAYS edit the
    install parameters from the ****ed up non-polling default OpenSuSE
    install script, to boot from the partition that the root slash boot
    volume was placed on, NOT the MBR. THEN you can point at it with ANY
    boot loader, and you can even use the motherboard BIOS menu to boot from
    a selected partition, as is allowable on my machine at boot time, and I
    spread my installations across physical drives, etc.

    >The easiest and simplest way is still to first install Windows, leave
    >partitions empty for Linux and then install Linux.

    No. That is the easiest, simplest way for easy simpletons that only
    want to dual boot, and regret volume sizing decisions, etc. in the
    future. Best to go out, and buy a nice new, cheap perpendicular
    technology drive, slice it up between windows, and Linux, and install
    away! THEN, one can ALWAYS fall back onto the original UNTOUCHED volume
    if one is unhappy with what one has.

    I ALWAYS set up my machines with XOSL on at least one physical drive,
    so that I can boot up and/or install any number of OS installations

    I can load up my OSes in any order I wish, INCLUDING Linux first, and
    since I DO know where to load the friggin' boot loaders, I can point back
    and forth between them at will, cyclically even, and when I do finally
    select an OS such as a GRUB fed Linux install like SuSE, I THEN get THAT
    OS's GRUB menu one more time, and could circle back around again if I so
    desired.

    Yeah, I know what the MBR is, and when to leave it the hell alone, and
    when and where to use it, and what installation
    methodology/paradigm/opinion errors result in it being overwritten...
    when it never necessarily needed to be.

    Do you?

  7. Re: Don't order from Lenovo

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:39:56 +0100, David Wilson Clarke
    wrote:

    >AnimalMagic wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 13:55:50 +0200, houghi
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Wrong guess. You fisrt install Windows and leave a partition blank for
    >>>Linux. Then install Linux which will recognise the windows installation
    >>>and configure the bootloader so you are able to dualboot.
    >>>
    >>>This has been the case since at least 10 years and probably even before
    >>>that.

    >> Said the dope that has only ever used Suse for the last five of those
    >> ten years.
    >>
    >> Yeah, sure HO FEE... you're the guy I want multi-OS installation
    >> advice from.
    >>
    >> I have seen it BOTH ways.
    >>
    >> And NO, I do NOT need Linux's boot partition to "see" anything on my
    >> machine.

    >How do you persuade Windows not to interfere with a Linux install, and get a
    >dual boot system? Or are you using partition Magic?

    Absolutely not. I have just finished a post describing what I do.

    On a single drive system, such as a laptop, it isn't (as) easy, but can
    be done if the Linux install (partitioning segment)is done correctly. In
    such a case, the GRUB loader is installed on the root partition, and a
    non-formatted FAT32 partition needs to be created before any others
    during the segment of the install process, at the beginning of the
    physical drive. Once Windows does it's install, after your SuSE install,
    all one needs do is properly edit the windows boot loader with a
    subsequent entry made to point at the root partition. Select that entry
    during the Windows boot loader, and the GRUB boot loader fires up and the
    SuSE install will boot at that time.

    One ALSO MUST edit the installation, BEFORE hitting the continue/done
    button. You have to edit the boot loader portion. You have to edit the
    location the boot loader gets placed in. Make sure that it is NOT
    over-writing an MBR.

    This is but one method. With laptop drive sizes getting bigger, I have
    even placed XOSL on my laptop installs which is yet another partition
    with a boot loader in it... a very good one. XOSL2 can do USB, IIRC.

    I cannot wait until BeOS (or whatever it turned into) gets back into
    gear for us.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3