LifeType and openSUSE - Suse

This is a discussion on LifeType and openSUSE - Suse ; I hope someone familiar with LifeType could give a hand here: I made an attempt to install LifeType. Installation seemed to go pretty well, two errors only, that let me go on, though: "Checking if mbstring functions are available (optional) ...

  1. LifeType and openSUSE

    I hope someone familiar with LifeType could give a hand here:
    I made an attempt to install LifeType.

    Installation seemed to go pretty well, two errors only, that let me go
    on, though:

    "Checking if mbstring functions are available (optional)
    Some LifeType plugins requires support for multi-byte language
    encoding/decoding."

    And

    "Checking if gd or gd2 functions are available (optional)
    LifeType requires support for generating image thumbnail."

    I think those are not deadly serious at this point.

    Afterwards I am able to browse to my seemingly good LifeType on
    localhost.

    But when I point to it from other machines I get the main page without
    any CSS formatting and all navigating links point to "localhost" and fail.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  2. Re: LifeType and openSUSE

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Vahis wrote:-

    >I hope someone familiar with LifeType could give a hand here:
    >I made an attempt to install LifeType.

    I installed it a while ago but, basically, haven't done anything with it
    since then.

    >Installation seemed to go pretty well, two errors only, that let me go
    >on, though:
    >
    >"Checking if mbstring functions are available (optional)
    >Some LifeType plugins requires support for multi-byte language
    >encoding/decoding."

    Install php5-mbstring.

    >And
    >
    >"Checking if gd or gd2 functions are available (optional)
    >LifeType requires support for generating image thumbnail."

    And also php5-gd.

    >I think those are not deadly serious at this point.

    Probably not.

    >Afterwards I am able to browse to my seemingly good LifeType on
    >localhost.
    >
    >But when I point to it from other machines I get the main page without
    >any CSS formatting and all navigating links point to "localhost" and fail.

    That looks like a bug. I still have 1.2.7 installed on a couple of
    systems and they have no problems. After installing 1.2.8 onto a third
    system, browsing the default blog points everything at localhost.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  3. Re: LifeType and openSUSE

    On 2008-08-30, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Vahis wrote:-
    >
    >>I hope someone familiar with LifeType could give a hand here:
    >>I made an attempt to install LifeType.

    > I installed it a while ago but, basically, haven't done anything with it
    > since then.
    >
    >>Installation seemed to go pretty well, two errors only, that let me go
    >>on, though:
    >>
    >>"Checking if mbstring functions are available (optional)
    >>Some LifeType plugins requires support for multi-byte language
    >>encoding/decoding."

    > Install php5-mbstring.

    That's been done

    >>And
    >>
    >>"Checking if gd or gd2 functions are available (optional)
    >>LifeType requires support for generating image thumbnail."

    > And also php5-gd.

    Installed

    >>I think those are not deadly serious at this point.

    > Probably not.

    No biggie, it's about thumbnails and special charsets or something
    I'll deal with that later.

    >>Afterwards I am able to browse to my seemingly good LifeType on
    >>localhost.
    >>
    >>But when I point to it from other machines I get the main page without
    >>any CSS formatting and all navigating links point to "localhost" and fail.

    > That looks like a bug. I still have 1.2.7 installed on a couple of
    > systems and they have no problems.

    OK. I found the tarball, I'll install that for a try.

    > After installing 1.2.8 onto a third
    > system, browsing the default blog points everything at localhost.

    I've come to a conclusion that the paths go wrong in it.
    To find out where the problem is would require more than I have.

    I've experimented with the settings in Admin > General > base_url.

    I can browse to LifeType either locally, over LAN or over the Internet
    depending how I set the base_url and how I set the subdomains_base_url.

    If it's set in such a way that it can be accessed over the Internet,
    local browsing goes to my ADSL box's admin page.

    I'll see now what you version does...

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  4. Re: LifeType and openSUSE

    On 2008-08-30, Vahis wrote:
    > I hope someone familiar with LifeType could give a hand here:
    > I made an attempt to install LifeType.
    >
    > Installation seemed to go pretty well, two errors only, that let me go
    > on, though:
    >
    > "Checking if mbstring functions are available (optional)
    > Some LifeType plugins requires support for multi-byte language
    > encoding/decoding."
    >
    > And
    >
    > "Checking if gd or gd2 functions are available (optional)
    > LifeType requires support for generating image thumbnail."
    >
    > I think those are not deadly serious at this point.
    >
    > Afterwards I am able to browse to my seemingly good LifeType on
    > localhost.
    >
    > But when I point to it from other machines I get the main page without
    > any CSS formatting and all navigating links point to "localhost" and fail.

    This is getting real strange.
    I've tried LifeType, Geeklog and WordPress.

    They all default URL to localhost but that's no good.
    My normal setup has been (for years) like this and there's been no
    trouble related to this.

    And, of course, the rest of the site works as before,
    I can access anything locally, externally and within the LAN

    With WordPress I am now able to get to the point where I can locally browse
    to http://localhost/articles and

    http://a88-112-17-35.elisa-laajakaista.fi/articles

    which is the real address

    From outside my LAN I can browse to

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/articles

    Whis is the No-IP served address.

    That is achieved by setting the WordPress URL to the real reverse DNS address.
    This also the name of the machine.
    This way I can point to anything in the site locally and from outside
    the LAN.

    From within the LAN I can access the rest of the site but not WordPress.
    The address takes me to the external address which is the configuration
    page of the ADSL modem/router.

    The setup now:
    ADSL has NAT turned on (for years), external address from ISP's DHCP:
    88.112.17.35

    Web server fixed 192.168.0.10, hostname
    a88-112-17-35.elisa-laajakaista.fi

    Etc/hosts:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

    # special IPv6 addresses
    ::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

    fe00::0 ipv6-localnet

    ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
    127.0.0.2 a88-112-17-35.elisa-laajakaista.fi a88-112-17-35
    192.168.0.10 a88-112-17-35 a88-112-17-35

    I've played with so many variations now that I'm not sure of anything
    anymore.

    I wonder if someone sees the problem there?
    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/articles
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

+ Reply to Thread