No installation on new hardware - Suse

This is a discussion on No installation on new hardware - Suse ; Darn. It isn't working as expected. This is the first time in, well, ever, that the installation does not work. I have several ISOs burned. 32 and 64 bit KDE live, Net 64 bit and DVD 64 bit. There is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

  1. No installation on new hardware

    Darn. It isn't working as expected. This is the first time in, well,
    ever, that the installation does not work. I have several ISOs burned.
    32 and 64 bit KDE live, Net 64 bit and DVD 64 bit.

    There is no real difference between them. The following happens:

    The bios recognises all drives. CD and DVD player, 2 IDE drives, 2 SATA
    drives, 2 PCI card IDE drives.

    When I boot from the HD that I had in my old PC, it boots and gives some
    error about USB and goes to /bin/sh. I fully expect it not to go to GUI
    and I would have expected some errors about partitons. However none of
    that. At least it boots I am just unable to do much with it.

    The next I tried is booting from disk. It boots anf loads the kernel.
    After that the screen goes black. I have tried the differnt kernel
    options and the same thing happens.

    I then tried textmode and the first time it hung with some sata driver,
    so I dsabled sata. Then it hung with USB and that is when I noticed the
    time and called it a day.

    I will try again tolorrow and give lore details about errors. Now I am
    too tired to think of a solution.

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  2. Re: No installation on new hardware

    houghi wrote:
    >Darn. It isn't working as expected. This is the first time in, well,
    >ever, that the installation does not work. I have several ISOs burned.
    >32 and 64 bit KDE live, Net 64 bit and DVD 64 bit.

    >There is no real difference between them. The following happens:

    >The bios recognises all drives. CD and DVD player, 2 IDE drives, 2 SATA
    >drives, 2 PCI card IDE drives.

    >When I boot from the HD that I had in my old PC, it boots and gives some
    >error about USB and goes to /bin/sh. I fully expect it not to go to GUI
    >and I would have expected some errors about partitons. However none of
    >that. At least it boots I am just unable to do much with it.

    >The next I tried is booting from disk. It boots anf loads the kernel.
    >After that the screen goes black. I have tried the differnt kernel
    >options and the same thing happens.

    >I then tried textmode and the first time it hung with some sata driver,
    >so I dsabled sata. Then it hung with USB and that is when I noticed the
    >time and called it a day.

    >I will try again tolorrow and give lore details about errors. Now I am
    >too tired to think of a solution.

    Sorry to hear that.

    Is it 11.0 that you are booting?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  3. Re: No installation on new hardware

    On 2008-08-30, houghi wrote:
    > Darn. It isn't working as expected. This is the first time in, well,
    > ever, that the installation does not work. I have several ISOs burned.
    > 32 and 64 bit KDE live, Net 64 bit and DVD 64 bit.
    >
    > There is no real difference between them. The following happens:
    >
    > The bios recognises all drives. CD and DVD player, 2 IDE drives, 2 SATA
    > drives, 2 PCI card IDE drives.
    >
    > When I boot from the HD that I had in my old PC, it boots and gives some
    > error about USB and goes to /bin/sh. I fully expect it not to go to GUI
    > and I would have expected some errors about partitons. However none of
    > that. At least it boots I am just unable to do much with it.

    I don't believe I'm telling you this, but since you're a├Âmost there with
    your old system disk, boot with install media with option to fix
    installed system

    > The next I tried is booting from disk. It boots anf loads the kernel.
    > After that the screen goes black. I have tried the differnt kernel
    > options and the same thing happens.

    This is a different disk? Not the one above?

    > I then tried textmode and the first time it hung with some sata driver,
    > so I dsabled sata. Then it hung with USB and that is when I noticed the
    > time and called it a day.

    I don't know your mobo, but mine (Asus P5Q) has a lot IDE/SATA options.
    Some option made IDE DVD Writer disappear from the OS.

    See mobo's manual for these BIOS things.

    > I will try again tolorrow and give lore details about errors. Now I am
    > too tired to think of a solution.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  4. Re: No installation on new hardware

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Sorry to hear that.
    >
    > Is it 11.0 that you are booting?

    Yes

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  5. Re: No installation on new hardware

    Vahis wrote:
    > I don't believe I'm telling you this, but since you're a÷most there with
    > your old system disk, boot with install media with option to fix
    > installed system

    The reason I did not do that was because I do not want to chnage
    anything on those drives, because now I can still go and put them back
    in the old system.

    >> The next I tried is booting from disk. It boots anf loads the kernel.
    >> After that the screen goes black. I have tried the differnt kernel
    >> options and the same thing happens.

    > This is a different disk? Not the one above?

    Sorry, this was the CD and DVD disks.

    >> I then tried textmode and the first time it hung with some sata driver,
    >> so I dsabled sata. Then it hung with USB and that is when I noticed the
    >> time and called it a day.

    > I don't know your mobo, but mine (Asus P5Q) has a lot IDE/SATA options.
    > Some option made IDE DVD Writer disappear from the OS.
    >
    > See mobo's manual for these BIOS things.

    Nothing there that would cause it, although there are plenty of
    settings.

    >> I will try again tolorrow and give lore details about errors. Now I am
    >> too tired to think of a solution.

    OK. Today a new day. I will be trying solely with the 64bit DVD as I
    will not have to worry about. I do a text install and use 'safe
    settings'.

    These are the results:
    The first time I get a "kernel panick".
    The second time I get to the Novell warning. This is great, because it
    means I actually went through the initial boot process, so I treid
    again.
    The third time I get to "loading sata_nv" where it stops and does
    nothing anymore.
    Then I try without any kernel selection, I get to ide_pci_generic
    The above are both nVidia sata controllers

    Then I try no APCI and it gets even a bit further and gets to
    "Activating usb devices"

    Then I try "no local ACPI" and it does not load the sata_nv

    I try again and get a Kernel Panick again.

    So then I try to check the install media and it stops also al 'loading
    sata_nv'. Each time I wait some 5 minutes. The the "rescue system". That
    goes till the "Activating usb devices"

    Then "firmware test" and that doesn' even get that far.

    I then try again and it works. I get into YaST. WTF?

    It does the folloing after accepting the licence.
    Probe USB devices
    Prove fireWire devices
    Probe floppy disk devices
    Probe hard disk controlers
    It stops at 40% with "Load kernel modules for hard disk controllers"

    I will take another break and get back later.
    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  6. Re: No installation on new hardware

    >> Is it 11.0 that you are booting?
    >
    > Yes

    the posts at http://forums.opensuse.org/ reads like the script from
    horror movies....really..

    use their search on terms like:

    black screen
    freeze
    halt
    pause
    crash
    hang

    you might note (below) that i am, for now, happy with 10.3

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  7. Re: No installation on new hardware

    > I will be trying solely with the 64bit DVD

    which is more difficult to install/run than the 32..

    and, no matter what you do, i highly advise you SKIP KDE4, and opt
    instead for 3.something..

    and, follow all this advice (even if not a n00b):
    http://tinyurl.com/3vwrzl

    good luck.

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  8. Re: No installation on new hardware

    DenverD wrote:
    >> I will be trying solely with the 64bit DVD

    > which is more difficult to install/run than the 32..

    No it isn't. I have tried also with the boxed version (Still had a
    burned version here. The original is with a friend)

    > and, no matter what you do, i highly advise you SKIP KDE4, and opt
    > instead for 3.something..

    Oh, read my postings. I will not only skip KDE4, I will skip KD3 as well
    as GNOME.

    > and, follow all this advice (even if not a n00b):
    > http://tinyurl.com/3vwrzl

    Although interesting for others, there was nothing there that I already
    knew

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  9. Re: No installation on new hardware

    DenverD wrote:
    >>> Is it 11.0 that you are booting?

    >> Yes

    > the posts at http://forums.opensuse.org/ reads like the script from
    > horror movies....really..

    I would not expect anything else. It is after all a forum where people
    tell about their problems and not so luch about how easy the install
    went.

    > use their search on terms like:
    >
    > black screen
    > freeze
    > halt
    > pause
    > crash
    > hang

    I did that, but saw nothing that is similar to what I have. :-( Mine is,
    I think, some setting somewhere, but I have no idea where.

    > you might note (below) that i am, for now, happy with 10.3

    I was as well; as with every installation since 5.4 or so. I also found
    the 10.2 boxed DVD and that gave the same problems. Knoppix 3.6 gives me
    4 penguins and then a blinking cursor. So it is clearly a hardware
    issue.

    I also have tried a WinXP somebody gave me and the results are no better
    there. The moment the installation process should start nothing happens
    anymore.
    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  10. Re: No installation on new hardware

    houghi wrote:
    > Darn. It isn't working as expected. This is the first time in, well,
    > ever, that the installation does not work. I have several ISOs burned.
    > 32 and 64 bit KDE live, Net 64 bit and DVD 64 bit.

    OK, still no idea what is going on and where the problem is.

    I have chnaged the following things:
    Differnt CD and DVD disks. Different HDs. Different memory modules.
    Different videocards. Differnt almost everything and I am still stuck at
    semi-random places just after the kernel is loaded and before the
    installation or licd CD should start.

    I even tried different distributions. Sigh. Any pointers are obviously
    welcome.

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  11. Re: No installation on new hardware

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 14:13:58 +0000, houghi wrote:
    > Any pointers are obviously welcome.

    My suggestion would be to disconnect as many peripherals as possible and
    to try with the latest Knoppix CD if possible.

    So on the first try, do not even have the hard disks connected, just
    try booting up from a CD in a single attached CD/DVD reader with just
    the video card in the machine (as far as expansion cards are concerned).

    Then if that works, connect one hard disk and try again.

    I trust you have checked that the memory is correctly seated?

    You could also try with just one memory stick in, and then gradually
    add the others, one by one to see if that causes any trouble.

  12. Re: No installation on new hardware

    houghi wrote:
    > I even tried different distributions. Sigh. Any pointers are obviously
    > welcome.

    The saga continues. I was able to get as far as starting the minimal
    installation. I was able to select the HD partitioning and what it did
    then was start. It did the formatting and blocked at setting up grub.

    The only thing I can of is that it is either the motherboard or the
    processor that does not do what it is supposed to do. As if it freezes
    after a certain time which then causes the kernel panic. S any idea on
    how to detemine this?

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  13. Re: No installation on new hardware

    On 2008-08-30, houghi wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> I even tried different distributions. Sigh. Any pointers are obviously
    >> welcome.

    > The saga continues. I was able to get as far as starting the minimal
    > installation. I was able to select the HD partitioning and what it did
    > then was start. It did the formatting and blocked at setting up grub.
    >
    > The only thing I can of is that it is either the motherboard or the
    > processor that does not do what it is supposed to do. As if it freezes
    > after a certain time which then causes the kernel panic. S any idea on
    > how to detemine this?

    A sudden freeze after running the machine for a while could indicate
    processor overheating.

    This could be caused by improper connection between the cooler and the
    processor.

    What's the cooler like?

    I just installed my Q6600 with the boxed cooler.
    I didn't use thermal paste there because the cooler was equipped with a
    patch of thermal medium in the bottom.

    I've had similar symptons with thermal paste before though.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  14. Re: No installation on new hardware

    On 30 Aug 2008 17:08:07 GMT
    houghi wrote:

    >houghi wrote:
    >> I even tried different distributions. Sigh. Any pointers are
    >> obviously welcome.

    >The saga continues. I was able to get as far as starting the minimal
    >installation. I was able to select the HD partitioning and what it did
    >then was start. It did the formatting and blocked at setting up grub.

    If you have not done so, yet, unplug *every* cable, one at a time, and
    plug them back in. Verify *all* jumper settings on motherboard with the
    book.

    If you have onboard video, remove *all* cards and hard drives and try
    booting with a CD only.

    >The only thing I can of is that it is either the motherboard or the
    >processor that does not do what it is supposed to do. As if it freezes
    >after a certain time which then causes the kernel panic. S any idea on
    >how to detemine this?

    If you can get your hands on another processor, you can eliminate that
    possibility. That's the only way I know to determine if the processor
    is flaky.

    Borrow another power supply and try it. I've had brand-new power
    supplies cause similar problems. If that doesn't help, I'd ask for a
    replacement motherboard.

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.11-0.1-pae
    10:28am up 1 day 4:38, 17 users, load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.17

  15. Re: No installation on new hardware

    houghi:

    > Knoppix 3.6 gives me 4 penguins and then a blinking cursor.
    > So it is clearly a hardware issue.
    >
    > I also have tried a WinXP somebody gave me and the results are no better
    > there. The moment the installation process should start nothing happens
    > anymore.

    You can try this out and see if it boots

    64-bit
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/re...4-bootonly.iso

    32-bit
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/re...6-bootonly.iso

    The download is 30-40Mb.

  16. Re: No installation on new hardware

    houghi wrote:
    >>> Yes

    >> the posts at http://forums.opensuse.org/ reads like the script from
    >> horror movies....really..

    > I would not expect anything else. It is after all a forum where people
    > tell about their problems and not so luch about how easy the install
    > went.
    >
    >> use their search on terms like:
    >>
    >> black screen
    >> freeze
    >> halt
    >> pause
    >> crash
    >> hang

    > I did that, but saw nothing that is similar to what I have. :-( Mine is,
    > I think, some setting somewhere, but I have no idea where.
    >
    >> you might note (below) that i am, for now, happy with 10.3

    > I was as well; as with every installation since 5.4 or so. I also found
    > the 10.2 boxed DVD and that gave the same problems. Knoppix 3.6 gives me
    > 4 penguins and then a blinking cursor. So it is clearly a hardware
    > issue.
    >
    > I also have tried a WinXP somebody gave me and the results are no better
    > there. The moment the installation process should start nothing happens
    > anymore.

    I would try running a live CD like OpenSuSE, Slax, Knoppix and last
    resort DSL. If none run, troubleshoot hardware with DSL. (dang small linux)

    Try memory test cd. Try manual pre-partitioning with gparted.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  17. Re: No installation on new hardware

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 14:13:58 +0000, houghi wrote:
    >> Any pointers are obviously welcome.

    > My suggestion would be to disconnect as many peripherals as possible and
    > to try with the latest Knoppix CD if possible.

    Done that and the same result.

    > So on the first try, do not even have the hard disks connected, just
    > try booting up from a CD in a single attached CD/DVD reader with just
    > the video card in the machine (as far as expansion cards are concerned).

    Same result.

    > Then if that works, connect one hard disk and try again.
    >
    > I trust you have checked that the memory is correctly seated?

    Yes. And replaced them in various order.

    > You could also try with just one memory stick in, and then gradually
    > add the others, one by one to see if that causes any trouble.

    Nothing differently.

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  18. Re: No installation on new hardware

    houghi wrote:
    > Darn. It isn't working as expected. This is the first time in, well,
    > ever, that the installation does not work. I have several ISOs burned.
    > 32 and 64 bit KDE live, Net 64 bit and DVD 64 bit.
    >
    > There is no real difference between them. The following happens:
    >
    > The bios recognises all drives. CD and DVD player, 2 IDE drives, 2 SATA
    > drives, 2 PCI card IDE drives.
    >
    > When I boot from the HD that I had in my old PC, it boots and gives some
    > error about USB and goes to /bin/sh. I fully expect it not to go to GUI
    > and I would have expected some errors about partitons. However none of
    > that. At least it boots I am just unable to do much with it.
    >
    > The next I tried is booting from disk. It boots anf loads the kernel.
    > After that the screen goes black. I have tried the differnt kernel
    > options and the same thing happens.
    >
    > I then tried textmode and the first time it hung with some sata driver,
    > so I dsabled sata. Then it hung with USB and that is when I noticed the
    > time and called it a day.
    >
    > I will try again tolorrow and give lore details about errors. Now I am
    > too tired to think of a solution.

    I had problems with some mobos mixing SATA and PATA drives. Bios likes
    to boot one or the other. OS's don't see both drives. Keep them
    separate. For instance on a PCChips I have Windoz 2000 on the PATA and
    OpenSuSE on the SATA. Which I have first in the bios is the one that boots.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  19. Re: No installation on new hardware

    Vahis wrote:
    > A sudden freeze after running the machine for a while could indicate
    > processor overheating.
    >
    > This could be caused by improper connection between the cooler and the
    > processor.
    >
    > What's the cooler like?

    Water cooling. Themerature does vary from 30 when starting to 55 when
    doing some test that worked from ultimatedcd. When the problem arrisez,
    it is avout 40-45 celcius, so not a real issue.

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  20. Re: No installation on new hardware

    Blattus Slafaly wrote:
    > I would try running a live CD like OpenSuSE, Slax, Knoppix and last
    > resort DSL. If none run, troubleshoot hardware with DSL. (dang small linux)

    I was unable to boot any live CD till now.

    > Try memory test cd. Try manual pre-partitioning with gparted.

    Partitioning is not the issue, as I do not even get there. This happens
    if there are no HDs in there.