No installation on new hardware - Suse

This is a discussion on No installation on new hardware - Suse ; On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:06:29 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote: > Does this make sense or am I just hallucinating again ? Your recommendation is most sensible and the concept and details of how to best configure a multi disk ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. Re: No installation on new hardware

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:06:29 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Does this make sense or am I just hallucinating again ?

    Your recommendation is most sensible and the concept and details of
    how to best configure a multi disk setup has been available
    in the HOWTO document

    HOWTO: Multi Disk System Tuning
    by Stein Gjoen, sgjoen@nyx.net
    v0.33a, 20 May *2002*

    at

    A version of this has been incuded in SuSE Linux at

    /usr/share/doc/howto/en/txt/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.gz

    since at least version 6.0 or so.

    The simplest and most basic improvement that one can make is
    to put /usr on one disk and /usr/lib on another.

    My argument is that all PCs should have at least two hard disks (on
    separate controllers) to minimize disk contention issues.

  2. Re: No installation on new hardware

    J G Miller wrote:
    > A version of this has been incuded in SuSE Linux at
    >
    > /usr/share/doc/howto/en/txt/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.gz
    >
    > since at least version 6.0 or so.

    As they put the HOWTO's in the distro, it is no wonder that they are
    there. What is more importand that this information was included in the
    great manuals that came with the boxed set.

    At one time it even explained on how to write a virus followed by the
    explanation as to why it won't work.

    I must honestly say that I have nott looked in the manuals since several
    versions. I have however learned a lot from them. They are still
    available in the help function when installed. Run `susehelp` to see if
    they are there and use YaST to find the user and admin guide to install
    them.

    > The simplest and most basic improvement that one can make is
    > to put /usr on one disk and /usr/lib on another.
    >
    > My argument is that all PCs should have at least two hard disks (on
    > separate controllers) to minimize disk contention issues.

    I use a second disc purely for backup. That way I can mount it
    'read-only' and be done with it. I have never had a disk die on me as
    such and I am still using my 10GB disks. :-D

    I would al;so think that if you maintain a system where you notice the
    difference, then most likely you should have the knowledge on what to do
    to solve it.

    Besides the obvious faster disks and raid, you will also use a different
    file system that will be best for whatever you use it for. Reading,
    writing or both and in what quantities?
    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  3. Re: No installation on new hardware

    J G Miller wrote:
    >On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:06:29 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Does this make sense or am I just hallucinating again ?

    >Your recommendation is most sensible and the concept and details of
    >how to best configure a multi disk setup has been available
    >in the HOWTO document

    > HOWTO: Multi Disk System Tuning
    > by Stein Gjoen, sgjoen@nyx.net
    > v0.33a, 20 May *2002*

    >at

    >A version of this has been incuded in SuSE Linux at

    > /usr/share/doc/howto/en/txt/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.gz

    >since at least version 6.0 or so.

    >The simplest and most basic improvement that one can make is
    >to put /usr on one disk and /usr/lib on another.

    >My argument is that all PCs should have at least two hard disks (on
    >separate controllers) to minimize disk contention issues.

    Doesn't that depend on what you are trying to accomplish?

    The number of applications where one needs disk speed is small,
    unless one is running a server of some sort.

    I'm more worried about data safety and so I back up to a second
    disk. I don't image the first disk since I can always reload
    the OS and companion programs. And then I backup the backup
    to an external drive. And then the critical data goes over
    the internet to a totally separate site.

    So you see, we each have our own crazyness. It depends on
    what our needs are.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  4. Re: No installation on new hardware

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > The *one* advantage to Windows and OS X is that they come
    > preinstalled. Unless you build your own Windows machine
    > and have the same sorts of problems you are having. I've
    > been there...

    That is also what I keep hammering when people compare Windows with
    Linux. Appart form the fact that they are different in many other ways,
    one is pre-installed and Linux is not.

    The company I bought it asked me uif they should put it together (for
    50EUR) but what is the fun in that? :-D

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  5. Re: No installation on new hardware

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > I'm more worried about data safety and so I back up to a second
    > disk. I don't image the first disk since I can always reload
    > the OS and companion programs. And then I backup the backup
    > to an external drive. And then the critical data goes over
    > the internet to a totally separate site.

    That is just silly. Why not just download the pron again?

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  6. Re: No installation on new hardware

    houghi wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> The *one* advantage to Windows and OS X is that they come
    >> preinstalled. Unless you build your own Windows machine
    >> and have the same sorts of problems you are having. I've
    >> been there...

    >That is also what I keep hammering when people compare Windows with
    >Linux. Appart form the fact that they are different in many other ways,
    >one is pre-installed and Linux is not.

    >The company I bought it asked me uif they should put it together (for
    >50EUR) but what is the fun in that? :-D

    Exactly. I'm collecting data on a new machine for myself.
    It has to be within my budget and it has to be computationally
    fast.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  7. Re: No installation on new hardware

    houghi wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> I'm more worried about data safety and so I back up to a second
    >> disk. I don't image the first disk since I can always reload
    >> the OS and companion programs. And then I backup the backup
    >> to an external drive. And then the critical data goes over
    >> the internet to a totally separate site.

    >That is just silly. Why not just download the pron again?

    No no. I wasn't clear. The data I back up is data I generate
    on the computer. Some runs go for 30 hours and I don't want
    to repeat them if I don't have to.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  8. Re: No installation on new hardware

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    >>That is just silly. Why not just download the pron again?

    > No no. I wasn't clear. The data I back up is data I generate
    > on the computer. Some runs go for 30 hours and I don't want
    > to repeat them if I don't have to.

    So you make your own pron? Just upload it and then later download it
    again when needed. Generated pron? Must be manga tenticle pron.

    houghi