Thinkpad T400 wireless - Suse

This is a discussion on Thinkpad T400 wireless - Suse ; Hi, I am planning to buy a thinkpad T400. The wireless networking options are 1. ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III 2. Intel 5100 agn 3. Intel 5300 agn. Which of these should I buy? The intel ...

  1. Thinkpad T400 wireless

    Hi,

    I am planning to buy a thinkpad T400.

    The wireless networking options are
    1. ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III
    2. Intel 5100 agn
    3. Intel 5300 agn.

    Which of these should I buy?
    The intel wireless page says 5100/5300 don't have linux drivers yet.

    Is the Thinkpad 11b/g supported out of the box on OpenSuSE?
    [ if it's supported but not out of the box, can somebody help me through
    (like guiding the dummies) to set this up once I buy? ]

    Likewise, I am planning to choose the Intel 4500MHD integrated
    graphics option. Will compiz-fusion work on that ?

    Thanks
    /varghese

  2. Re: Thinkpad T400 wireless

    Varghese Mathew turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to buy a thinkpad T400.
    >
    > The wireless networking options are
    > 1. ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III
    > 2. Intel 5100 agn
    > 3. Intel 5300 agn.
    >
    > Which of these should I buy?
    > The intel wireless page says 5100/5300 don't have linux drivers yet.

    If they don't have a native driver yet, maybe another Intel driver will do.
    You should aslo ask Levono what they recommend.

    In addition you may be able to get by with ndiswrapper until the right
    driver comes along.

    I've used it on a few desktop systems with DLink and Linksys wireless cards
    and found it works fine.