Problems with zypper and software repositories - Suse

This is a discussion on Problems with zypper and software repositories - Suse ; Hi Since a couple of day, I've trouble with the software repositories for zypper (opensuse 11.0 x_64). Yesterday, I've done a "zypper clean -a" and then a "zypper refresh" as root. Since then, I receive the following error message: The ...

  1. Problems with zypper and software repositories

    Hi

    Since a couple of day, I've trouble with the software repositories for
    zypper (opensuse 11.0 x_64).

    Yesterday, I've done a "zypper clean -a" and then a "zypper refresh" as
    root. Since then, I receive the following error message:

    The repository 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss' is invalid.
    Can't provide /suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV : Can't
    copy /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000006/suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV
    to /var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-ossIZFALm
    Verify the URI for this repository

    I've tried to reset the list of repositories with yast ("Online update
    configuration"), but I receive an error there to ("Query product failed"
    after I've checked "Configure Now" and clicked on "Details..."). This error
    appear with the repositories : 'Main Repository (OSS)'
    and 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss' and I need them to install gnuplot.

    Please could you help me ? Is there an official list of software
    repositories that I can either compare with mine, or manually configure ?

    Thank you in advance for your help

    --
    new

  2. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    nospam@toto.ch.invalid wrote:
    > Since a couple of day, I've trouble with the software repositories for
    > zypper (opensuse 11.0 x_64).
    >
    > Yesterday, I've done a "zypper clean -a" and then a "zypper refresh" as
    > root. Since then, I receive the following error message:

    Why have you done that? Just curious.

    > The repository 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss' is invalid.
    > Can't provide /suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV : Can't
    > copy /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000006/suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV
    > to /var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-ossIZFALm
    > Verify the URI for this repository

    OK, something is wrong.

    > I've tried to reset the list of repositories with yast ("Online update
    > configuration"), but I receive an error there to ("Query product failed"
    > after I've checked "Configure Now" and clicked on "Details..."). This error
    > appear with the repositories : 'Main Repository (OSS)'
    > and 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss' and I need them to install gnuplot.

    Go in YaST and remove it there. I have had some problems as well when
    fooling around.

    > Please could you help me ? Is there an official list of software
    > repositories that I can either compare with mine, or manually configure ?

    Yes, in YaST, Software, Software Reporsitories. Remove the faulty one.
    Confirm and close the Software Repositories. Open it again and be sure
    that the one you wanted deleted is gone, go to ADD, and select Community
    Reporsitories and select the OSS one and any one you KNOW you miss.

    Basically wehat you need is OSS, non-OSS and Packman. All the rest is
    not realy needed for a perfectly working system most of the time.

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  3. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    EOS wrote:
    > I have
    > http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/SuSE/11.0

    OK.

    > http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.0

    OK.

    > http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/ftp.opensus...se/update/11.0
    > http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/ftp.opensus...0/repo/non-oss
    > http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/ftp.opensus.../11.0/repo/oss

    NOT ok, as it is better to add download.opensuse.org instead of a
    specific provider. (And skynet is the Microsoft of telecom operators in
    Belgium and is evil by default)

    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0

    KDE is evil as well. ;-) Seriously, how many applications are there that
    are not on the OSS repo? Just curious. I can imagine that you added then
    to 'have' them not because you actualy 'need' them. I could be wrong as
    well, although history has prooved that I am never wrong (history might
    be wrong, but never me)

    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0

    Same here, what is the advantage of using this instead of the standard?

    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0

    And here I assume it runs OOo 3, otherwise the same question

    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0

    This I can understand, as well as NVidea or ATI

    Obviously there are several thousand more to be found on the build
    server. Just go to http://download.opensuse.org/repositories and then go
    into the subdirectories. http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home
    is a nice one.

    Some random example:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.0/
    or http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.0/

    The question I always ask myself is if I need a repo or not and most of
    the time I don't. If I search for a program, the one-click-install will
    add the needed repo anyway.

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit
    of wallowing in the troubles of five billion strangers. -- Heinlein

  4. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    houghi wrote:

    > nospam@toto.ch.invalid wrote:
    >> Since a couple of day, I've trouble with the software repositories for
    >> zypper (opensuse 11.0 x_64).
    >>
    >> Yesterday, I've done a "zypper clean -a" and then a "zypper refresh" as
    >> root. Since then, I receive the following error message:

    > Why have you done that? Just curious.

    I though that it would help to rebuild the complete database of modules and
    patches.. I was wrong

    >> The repository 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss' is invalid.
    >> Can't provide /suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV : Can't
    >> copy /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000006/suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV
    >> to /var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-ossIZFALm
    >> Verify the URI for this repository

    > OK, something is wrong.
    >
    >> I've tried to reset the list of repositories with yast ("Online update
    >> configuration"), but I receive an error there to ("Query product failed"
    >> after I've checked "Configure Now" and clicked on "Details..."). This
    >> error appear with the repositories : 'Main Repository (OSS)'
    >> and 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss' and I need them to install gnuplot.

    > Go in YaST and remove it there. I have had some problems as well when
    > fooling around.
    >
    >> Please could you help me ? Is there an official list of software
    >> repositories that I can either compare with mine, or manually configure ?

    > Yes, in YaST, Software, Software Reporsitories. Remove the faulty one.
    > Confirm and close the Software Repositories. Open it again and be sure
    > that the one you wanted deleted is gone, go to ADD, and select Community
    > Reporsitories and select the OSS one and any one you KNOW you miss.

    Ok, I've do that and the problems seems to be resolved. Thank you very much
    for your help !

    > Basically wehat you need is OSS, non-OSS and Packman. All the rest is
    > not realy needed for a perfectly working system most of the time.

    You're probably right, but I've needed some software that I did not found
    into these 3 repositories. But now I would consider if I really need all of
    them.

    Once again, many thank for your help.

    --
    new

  5. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    nospam@toto.ch.invalid wrote:
    >> Basically wehat you need is OSS, non-OSS and Packman. All the rest is
    >> not realy needed for a perfectly working system most of the time.

    > You're probably right, but I've needed some software that I did not found
    > into these 3 repositories. But now I would consider if I really need all of
    > them.

    If I can't find it, what I do is first go to
    http://software.opensuse.org/search and look for it there and if that
    doesn't work I go to http://packages.opensuse-community.org/

    I think the first is a bit better. They are working on a new version of
    the second one, which will look more like the first one.

    The HUGE advantage of that is that you can find software pretty fast and
    it is easier to use when using Firefox. It is in the search options.
    Some genius opend a bugreport and asked to add it and they did. :-D

    If the repo is already added, it will just use that. If it isn't added,
    it will add it.

    So there is really no need to add anything at all. It will be done
    automagically and add only those things you need.

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit
    of wallowing in the troubles of five billion strangers. -- Heinlein

  6. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    houghi wrote:

    > NOT ok, as it is better to add download.opensuse.org instead of a
    > specific provider. (And skynet is the Microsoft of telecom operators in
    > Belgium and is evil by default)

    skynet is a faster download ;-)
    on openSUSE ftp i get 700kb's, skynet goes to 1,3MB speed here
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  7. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    EOS wrote:
    >> NOT ok, as it is better to add download.opensuse.org instead of a
    >> specific provider. (And skynet is the Microsoft of telecom operators in
    >> Belgium and is evil by default)

    > skynet is a faster download ;-)
    > on openSUSE ftp i get 700kb's, skynet goes to 1,3MB speed here

    Skynet is evil. That should be enough.

    OTOH download.opensuse.org redirects to different servers. I am now
    downloading the 64 bit from download.opensuse.org and am pointed towards
    skynet as well. The fact that it is best for you (because you are with
    skynet, did not check) does not mean it is best for everybody worldwide.

    I often had better connections to atwien or some site in the Netherlands
    when I was still with Evonet.

    So what my point is, s that the best option in general is to use
    download.opensuse.org and only in specific situations use a specific
    one. Also when posting better to use download.opensuse.org instead of a
    specific one, because it may result in worse perfermance for some users.

    OTOH, skynet has 1.000.000EUR extra to spend per year and some
    5.000.000 in the near future, probably 3 to 5 years. (Belgian politics.
    Don't worry about it.)

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit
    of wallowing in the troubles of five billion strangers. -- Heinlein

  8. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    On 2008-08-29, houghi wrote:
    > nospam@toto.ch.invalid wrote:
    >> Since a couple of day, I've trouble with the software repositories for
    >> zypper (opensuse 11.0 x_64).
    >>
    >> Yesterday, I've done a "zypper clean -a" and then a "zypper refresh" as
    >> root. Since then, I receive the following error message:

    > Why have you done that? Just curious.
    >
    >> The repository 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss' is invalid.
    >> Can't provide /suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV : Can't
    >> copy /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000006/suse/setup/descr/EXTRA_PROV
    >> to /var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-ossIZFALm
    >> Verify the URI for this repository

    > OK, something is wrong.
    >
    >> I've tried to reset the list of repositories with yast ("Online update
    >> configuration"), but I receive an error there to ("Query product failed"
    >> after I've checked "Configure Now" and clicked on "Details..."). This error
    >> appear with the repositories : 'Main Repository (OSS)'
    >> and 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss' and I need them to install gnuplot.

    > Go in YaST and remove it there. I have had some problems as well when
    > fooling around.
    >
    >> Please could you help me ? Is there an official list of software
    >> repositories that I can either compare with mine, or manually configure ?

    > Yes, in YaST, Software, Software Reporsitories. Remove the faulty one.
    > Confirm and close the Software Repositories. Open it again and be sure
    > that the one you wanted deleted is gone, go to ADD, and select Community
    > Reporsitories and select the OSS one and any one you KNOW you miss.
    >
    > Basically wehat you need is OSS, non-OSS and Packman. All the rest is
    > not realy needed for a perfectly working system most of the time.

    Basically Nvidia or ATI is often needed, too. This depends on the
    graphics board, of course.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  9. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:49:17 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > Skynet is evil.

    On what basis do you make that unsubstantiated assertion?

    If not skynet.BE, then how about ftp.belnet.BE?

  10. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:49:17 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >> Skynet is evil.

    > On what basis do you make that unsubstantiated assertion?
    >
    > If not skynet.BE, then how about ftp.belnet.BE?

    How about opensuse.org? Or did you think only Belgans want to install
    openSUSE?

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  11. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:42:40 +0000, houghi wrote:
    > How about opensuse.org?

    What is the point of openSUSE setting up mirror sites, if you encourage
    everybody not to use them?

    > Or did you think only Belgans want to install openSUSE?

    Do not Walloons prefer Mandriva (or whatever it is called now) anyway?

    ;+) ;+) ;+)

  12. Re: Problems with zypper and software repositories

    J G Miller wrote:
    >> Or did you think only Belgans want to install openSUSE?

    > Do not Walloons prefer Mandriva (or whatever it is called now) anyway?

    If that were true, there would have been no Packman and Guru packages.

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

+ Reply to Thread