Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic - Suse

This is a discussion on Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic - Suse ; The Asus P5Q and other P5:s have the P45 chipset. This fantastic thing has a feature they call Express Gateway. This feature is actually a Linux installation in the south bridge. It can connect to the Internet before the OS ...

  1. Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    The Asus P5Q and other P5:s have the P45 chipset.
    This fantastic thing has a feature they call Express Gateway.

    This feature is actually a Linux installation in the south bridge.
    It can connect to the Internet before the OS even boots.
    It has Email and browser and stuff. So that in seconds you can be online
    surfing and mailing without having to actually boot the thing.

    I have no use for this but since it's a Linux built in, one would expect
    the onboard gigabit capable network interface to work like charm? _No_

    The driver for this nic needs to have a module made and installed into the
    kernel. I've done the VMWare modules many times, this might be just as
    easy?

    They say that another option would be to run a newer kernel
    (2.6.27). It's available as rc4, I sure don't like the idea.

    Before I'll jump into these options I would like to hear what you
    guys out there have done with this issue?

    I just threw in another nic, I have them lying around.
    Maybe I should stay with that till the 2.6.27 is available as update.

    Other than that the board is great.
    At least compared with what I've had so far.

    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  2. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    houghi schreef:

    > Also I will probably go for water cooling for the 2 videocards (for 3
    > screens)

    I guess you want water cooling because you don't want noise?
    For that reason i bought the Asus EN8600 GTS Silent.
    It has no fans only a large cooling.. uhmm frame? (how do you call that?)
    At the time i bought it for €159,- but now it's only €78,-.
    http://www.informatique.nl/120005/as...lent-512mb.htm

    Downside of the card is that it uses 2 slots because it's so big, so that
    might be a problem is you need 2 cards.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  3. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    Vahis schreef:

    > but somehow I would
    >> like to go for 3 HD's, but I do not know why.

    I have root home and usr all on a different disk.
    The reason i did that was that if i launch a program i have 1 disk reading
    stuff from /etc 1 reading config files from home and another reading the
    libraries and the program.
    That really speed up things, and it's good for your disks too, not so much
    reading and writing on one disk which also makes your disk very silent.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  4. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    Chris Maaskant schreef:

    > Vahis schreef:
    >
    >> but somehow I would
    >>> like to go for 3 HD's, but I do not know why.

    > I have root home and usr all on a different disk.
    > The reason i did that was that if i launch a program i have 1 disk reading
    > stuff from /etc 1 reading config files from home and another reading the
    > libraries and the program.
    > That really speed up things, and it's good for your disks too, not so much
    > reading and writing on one disk which also makes your disk very silent.

    Uhmm this was suposse to be a reaction to Houghi's post :s
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  5. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > houghi schreef:
    >
    >> Also I will probably go for water cooling for the 2 videocards (for 3
    >> screens)

    > I guess you want water cooling because you don't want noise?
    > For that reason i bought the Asus EN8600 GTS Silent.
    > It has no fans only a large cooling.. uhmm frame? (how do you call that?)
    > At the time i bought it for ?159,- but now it's only ?78,-.
    > http://www.informatique.nl/120005/as...lent-512mb.htm

    I am thinking of something like
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/pcbuild...no=JBXUR3&cn=1
    which is 49EUR. (Soory, it is in Dutch. ;-P )

    > Downside of the card is that it uses 2 slots because it's so big, so that
    > might be a problem is you need 2 cards.

    Almost all cards are like that and that is why I am looking at the
    layout, because most will block at least one PCI slot. Bad design, if
    you ask me.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

  6. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > I have root home and usr all on a different disk.
    > The reason i did that was that if i launch a program i have 1 disk reading
    > stuff from /etc 1 reading config files from home and another reading the
    > libraries and the program.
    > That really speed up things, and it's good for your disks too, not so much
    > reading and writing on one disk which also makes your disk very silent.

    I know all about that. I was even thinking of 4 disks. 1 for backup and
    3 in RAID. But as I said, there are so much options, it isn't funny
    anymore.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.
    -- Heinlein : Time Enough For Love

  7. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    houghi schreef:

    > I am thinking of something like

    http://www.alternate.nl/html/pcbuild...no=JBXUR3&cn=1

    Hmmm radeon.. just make sure it is well supported in linux.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  8. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    On 2008-08-28, Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > houghi schreef:
    >
    >> I am thinking of something like
    >>

    > http://www.alternate.nl/html/pcbuild...no=JBXUR3&cn=1
    >
    > Hmmm radeon.. just make sure it is well supported in linux.

    It has a fan. Fan makes noise. First some, later some more.

    Here's mine:
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...94&modelmenu=1

    All the same features, no fan. Same price. 1-click install.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  9. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    Vahis wrote:
    > It has a fan. Fan makes noise. First some, later some more.
    >
    > Here's mine:
    > http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...94&modelmenu=1
    >
    > All the same features, no fan. Same price. 1-click install.

    Same features if 2xDVI is the same as DVI+VGA To me it isn't.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.
    -- Heinlein : Time Enough For Love

  10. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > houghi schreef:
    >
    >> I am thinking of something like
    >>

    > http://www.alternate.nl/html/pcbuild...no=JBXUR3&cn=1
    >
    > Hmmm radeon.. just make sure it is well supported in linux.

    Point wel taken. I just buy stuff almost always, asuming it will work
    under Linux. The one time I specificaly looked, it didn't. :-|

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.
    -- Heinlein : Time Enough For Love

  11. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    houghi wrote:
    >>> Nice to know. It is a bitch to copare AMD and Intell/

    >> Check this:
    >> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

    > Thanks. I will probably see that I can rip that, remove out all the dual
    > things and then also add prices to it and then make some usefull
    > comparisons, instead of either an alphabetical list or a list on mere
    > speed where most of them are irrelevant.

    OK, here is what I did. I removed everything that was slower then the
    AMD 9950 I was focussing on. I also removed all measurements with 2
    processors or more. Also the Xeon was removed. I then looked at the
    prices of Alternate.nl

    Processor Mark Price
    Intel Core2 Extreme X9770 @ 3.20GHz 5044 1199
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 4084 269
    Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 @ 3.00GHz 4008 479
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz 3654 269
    Intel Core2 Extreme Q6800 @ 2.93GHz 3551
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 3390 225
    Intel Core2 Extreme Q6850 @ 3.00GHz 3380
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 3024
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2691 159
    AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core 2661 189

    On first glance, the Q9550 is the best buy. If I would be happy with the
    speed of the AMD, the Q6600 is better, because it is cheaper.

    The question then is, is the Q9550 worth the extra 90EUR? So let us look
    at this again. Price per mark. I removed those where I did not have a
    price:

    Processor Mark Price Price/Mark
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2691 159 5.91%
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 4084 269 6.59%
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 3390 225 6.64%
    AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core 2661 189 7.10%
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz 3654 269 7.36%
    Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 @ 3.00GHz 4008 479 11.95%
    Intel Core2 Extreme X9770 @ 3.20GHz 5044 1199 23.77%

    So there. This has absolutely not helped me, but instead gave me more
    options to select from. Darn!

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.
    -- Heinlein : Time Enough For Love

  12. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    houghi wrote:
    > Yeah, thanks. (NOT!)

    OK, the deed is done. I have orderd the PC and will be picking it up
    today. :-D

    So what have I orderd?
    2 x nVidea GeForce 8600 GT video cards
    1 x Intell Q9550
    1 x CPU 750 W Toughpower CM
    1 x Big tower
    1 Mobo
    4 x 2GB DDR2 1066
    2 x 500GB HD (Will probably add more in the future)
    1 Bigwater watercooling
    2 x 120cm fans
    2 x 140cm fans

    1150EUR for everything (Including probably 700 kilo of packaging)

    What I will add from my system is the following:
    2 x DVD/CD combo writer
    1 x PCI IDE
    2 x 160GB IDE
    2 x other IDE stuff (unsure if this will be CD players or HD's)
    1 x PCI tv card

    And if I can still use the last PCI, an extra soundcard.

    Conected to 2 x 1920x1200 24" and 1 x 1600x1200 20"

    I will also look at overclocking. I will see that I can document
    everything. From the start till the poweroutage in Leuven when I start
    it up. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  13. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    On 2008-08-29, houghi wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Yeah, thanks. (NOT!)

    > OK, the deed is done. I have orderd the PC and will be picking it up
    > today. :-D

    Congrats

    > So what have I orderd?
    > 2 x nVidea GeForce 8600 GT video cards
    > 1 x Intell Q9550

    Great

    > 1 x CPU 750 W Toughpower CM

    PSU

    > 1 x Big tower
    > 1 Mobo

    Which mother?

    > 4 x 2GB DDR2 1066
    > 2 x 500GB HD (Will probably add more in the future)
    > 1 Bigwater watercooling
    > 2 x 120cm fans
    > 2 x 140cm fans
    >
    > 1150EUR for everything (Including probably 700 kilo of packaging)

    Double to mine
    How much in BLF?

    > What I will add from my system is the following:
    > 2 x DVD/CD combo writer
    > 1 x PCI IDE
    > 2 x 160GB IDE
    > 2 x other IDE stuff (unsure if this will be CD players or HD's)
    > 1 x PCI tv card
    >
    > And if I can still use the last PCI, an extra soundcard.
    >
    > Conected to 2 x 1920x1200 24" and 1 x 1600x1200 20"
    >
    > I will also look at overclocking. I will see that I can document
    > everything. From the start till the poweroutage in Leuven when I start
    > it up. :-D

    There the mobo is the key

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  14. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    houghi schreef:

    > So what have I orderd?
    > 2 x nVidea GeForce 8600 GT video cards
    > 1 x Intell Q9550

    > I will also look at overclocking.

    Why with a system like that?
    What kind of performance gain do you expect?
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  15. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    houghi wrote:
    >Vahis wrote:
    >>> So there. This has absolutely not helped me, but instead gave me more
    >>> options to select from. Darn!

    >> Look also at power consumption, that's another good point, less wattage is
    >> less noise and cheaper to run

    >Cheaper to run? I do not have an electricity bill. :-D
    >The noise? I am seriously thinking about watercooling.

    You have to cool everything, including memory and the
    hard drives. That means fans in addition to water.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  16. Re: Asus P5 series mobo:s and integrated nic

    houghi wrote:
    >houghi wrote:
    >> Yeah, thanks. (NOT!)

    >OK, the deed is done. I have orderd the PC and will be picking it up
    >today. :-D

    >So what have I orderd?
    >2 x nVidea GeForce 8600 GT video cards
    >1 x Intell Q9550
    >1 x CPU 750 W Toughpower CM
    >1 x Big tower
    >1 Mobo
    >4 x 2GB DDR2 1066
    >2 x 500GB HD (Will probably add more in the future)
    >1 Bigwater watercooling
    >2 x 120cm fans
    >2 x 140cm fans

    >1150EUR for everything (Including probably 700 kilo of packaging)

    >What I will add from my system is the following:
    >2 x DVD/CD combo writer
    >1 x PCI IDE
    >2 x 160GB IDE
    >2 x other IDE stuff (unsure if this will be CD players or HD's)
    >1 x PCI tv card

    >And if I can still use the last PCI, an extra soundcard.

    >Conected to 2 x 1920x1200 24" and 1 x 1600x1200 20"

    >I will also look at overclocking. I will see that I can document
    >everything. From the start till the poweroutage in Leuven when I start
    >it up. :-D

    Good luck Houghi! Sounds great!!!

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans